Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Federico Mussini PG offered by Gonzaga

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Wonder what's his favorite Serie A club?

One word for Federico: Raivio 2.0

Shoots over 50% from field in U16 Euros, over 50% from beyond arc, assist numbers are solid... Sure he's smallish, anyone can see that, but there's something to be said about a kid who can shoot it like Steve Kerr.
    He might shoot like Steve Kerr, but Kerr played at 6' 3".

Shabaz Napier is 6-1 and Ryan Boatright is 6-0. At the moment they are beating Florida. Size isn't everything. Or at least that's what my wife tells me.

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    That doesn't follow to me....I think the posters should think about what and how they post with the understanding that the parents and kids will read the boards.

The old golden rule of treating people they way you want to be treated...or their kids the way you want your kids treated.
    The parents or kids should stay off the boards if they don`t want to get their feelings hurt. People critique the performance of basketball players and if someone has a bad game they will get some negative commentary . If they play well they will get lots of positive comments. Thats kind of how the board works. We all speculate on how we think new prospects will pan out. Everyone is free to express their opinion . Someone saying that they think a prospect is too small is not over the top. No one is forcing these people to come on the board and get their feelings hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    The parents or kids should stay off the boards if they don`t want to get their feelings hurt. People critique the performance of basketball players and if someone has a bad game they will get some negative commentary . If they play well they will get lots of positive comments. Thats kind of how the board works. We all speculate on how we think new prospects will pan out. Everyone is free to express their opinion . Someone saying that they think a prospect is too small is not over the top. No one is forcing these people to come on the board and get their feelings hurt.
    Yeah .... and you get accurate, well researched info from folks who do things like proclaim a kid has never, ever had an International assist (and bold it for emphasis). Brilliant posting.... "smh".

We have different standards ... thank god

Quote Originally Posted by wnczagfan View Post

And further evidence that the kids and their parents shouldn't read the boards.
    I'm convinced they don't read them. I have a feeling they have been around fans for years and know all about the extremes that show up. Even if they did read them, they know fans are collectively the reason they play, but at the same time fans are prone to emotional outbursts and extremes.

Hate isn't the right word. Love/hate would be closer to the truth.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Yeah .... and you get accurate, well researched info from folks who do things like proclaim a kid has never, ever had an International assist (and bold it for emphasis). Brilliant posting.... "smh".
    Yeah... Maybe you should ban that guy . How dare anyone put unaccurate poorly researched post on this board.

Yeah... Maybe you should ban that guy . How dare anyone put unaccurate poorly researched post on this board.
    No reason to "ban" ... however, a quick lesson in "google" or "bing" might be in order...... particularly if the incredibly inaccurate info is used to mock a PSA or mock the staff's decision to recruit him (while throwing in a cute David Stockton jab at the same time).

Our coaching staff has a knack for finding and securing good players before the BCS leagues realize how well some of these kids can play. You'd think after all of the great "under the radar" players we've pulled in over the years that the fans on this board might show a little faith in their ability to find and evaluate talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Our coaching staff has a knack for finding and securing good players before the BCS leagues realize how well some of these kids can play. You'd think after all of the great "under the radar" players we've pulled in over the years that the fans on this board might show a little faith in their ability to find and evaluate talent.
    Agree. They don't hit a home run every time .... but I too believe "fans on this board might show a little faith" in the staff's "ability to find and evaluate talent."

I also agree that the coaches are doing a super job of finding talent that might have some flaws and then making them into super players. Look (only as examples) at KO, Morrison, Bolden, Gray, Pangos, Bell, Turiaff, Daye, and many more. Most of these were recruited before other colleges even thought about them. Yes, we have had others that have not worked out, but again some were injuries, illness, or players that might not want to wait for playing time.

So does this mean Kendall Small is not coming? How does he fit on the roster? Doesn't GU have a surplus of guards?

Quote Originally Posted by gonwick View Post
    How does he fit on the roster? Doesn't GU have a surplus of guards?
    Point guards / combo guards available on scholarship for the 2014-15 season:

1. Pangos
    2. Bell
    3. Dranginis
    4. Perkins
    5. Melson
    6. Alberts

And a 7th if you count a certain walk-on who is expected to be a contributor:

7. Triano

Quote Originally Posted by GUZag08 View Post
    "Hey Federico, this is Coach Lloyd. You know, we were impressed with what we saw from you but unfortunately the gang on the GUBoards read 2 articles about you and said we should pass. Sorry again for the mixup, but our hands are tied on this one."
    +1

Good chance he is a Catholic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

YouTube - Federico Mussini - great assist
    YouTube - Jordan Brand Classic 2012 - International Tour Extended Highlights 2:29 mark.

A couple tweets from his twitter:

Reggio Emilia's PG @FMussini (182 '96) was the Luka Stancic tournament's best scorer w/ an average of 30 pts/game (90 pts in 3 games)
    @FMussini won the Mvp at the BWB 2013 and reached the 2 spot behind Nate Robinson in the 3point contest
    EuroHopes.com - If I were a GM

Federico Mussini (PG, 180 cm, Trenkwalder Reggio Emilia, 1996): is one of the Italian top player as demonstrated by the great European Under-16 Championship that he has played this summer where he was named best playmaker of the competition thanks to 14.6 points and 2 assists per game. He is an atypical player because he does not seem to have the physique to be able to play at a high level but when he moves on the field, all doubts disappear: Mussini has a great ability to understand the game and this thing allows him to anticipate the movements of his opponents. In addition, he, as well as being a great assist man, is a great scorer and he prefers playing in speed and open field situation and, at least but not last, he also has very high percentage shot from 3-point (52,2 % at the last U16 European Championship). I'm curious to see him against the Pros because for him this challenge will not be easy but I believe that with his intelligence he will find a way to make the difference.

NBADraft.net 2013 - Luka Stancic Tourney: Top Prospects

Federico Mussini (1996, 6’0”, PG, Reggio Emilia, Italy)

Mussini is a skinny and short combo guard standing 5’11”, with astonishing explosiveness, speed and feel for the game. His ball handling is amazing, allowing him to basically beat the defender in any situation, anyway he’s not a pass first point guard, due to his developed scoring instinct. His midrange game is well developed, especially the fade away and step back jumper, exploiting his lighting release. He also has a reliable three point shot. His body is really skinny for a senior level of competition, in fact the key point of his development will be the way in which he will develop a muscular basis, trying not to lose speed. He led the tournament in scoring with almost 30 points per game.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

[QUOTE=SWZag;1008848]A couple tweets from his twitter:

NBA Draft.net is calling him short and skinny. That is not a very nice thing to say. I hope he didn't read that. If the kid can play hoops, who cares if he is short.

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Wonder what's his favorite Serie A club?

One word for Federico: Raivio 2.0

Shoots over 50% from field in U16 Euros, over 50% from beyond arc, assist numbers are solid... Sure he's smallish, anyone can see that, but there's something to be said about a kid who can shoot it like Steve Kerr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased View Post
    He might shoot like Steve Kerr, but Kerr played at 6' 3".
    Not to mention, Raivio was also 6'3". and featured the quickest release I've ever seen in a GU uniform.

4" is significant. Stocks had an incredibly difficult time finding open space to shoot from 3pt or anywhere, esp vs BCS-type teams. it really wasn't until opponents played 5-6 feet off him(daring him) or when he was wide, WIDE open to attempt a clean shot.

that said, DS used his quicks and smarts and ball-handling to find a niche, so could Mussini; however, it doesn't take away the fact Stocks was continually and literally "swallowed" up vs tall, strong guards or vs BCS teams time and time again. He could still make the nifty passes, yet little to no chance at scoring/shooting effectively with his height AND weight.

if we can secure guys and guards such as the recent crop: Perkins(6'3"), Melson(6'3"), Alberts(6'5"), then why not keep tapping into it...I doubt Mussini wants to play 2nd fiddle IF he decides to leave Italy.

You can develop, coach and teach shooting and all the skills of the game, but there can be no denying that there is a God given element of genetics, size and athleticism that separates them from the smaller athletes with similar skill sets. So, IMO, Few has the options and opportunities with our strong recruiting power to get those higher level genetically gifted athletes and then utilize his "genius" coaching and development philosophy to give them the skills they need.

We already have offense. We need defense, and defense is about intensity, speed, skill and size. We consistently have our defensive liabilities exposed in March. Or, that even with our top 10 offense, the better defense beats us.

All this being said, I trust Fews overall plan to get us there.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Goodness y'all...I don't see the issue on this at all. If they bring him on board it's almost certainly a redshirt year for him. However, after this season we lose Pangos and Bell with Dranginis being a senior the next year. Alberts and Dranginis will be playing a lot of the three anyway. Yes, you would have Melson and Perkins but there is a decent chance that if Perkins develops as expected that he isn't here for four years. I really don't see the negative unless he can't play. I couldn't imagine that Lloyd and Few would offer if he couldn't.

I just don't understand why Few doesn't just recruit tall, fast, strong players that can jump out of the gym, have soft hands, great footwork, elite ballhandling skills, shoot lights out, and play lockdown defense and make incredible chase-down blocks that are great people who will represent our community well and who already want to come here. I guess he just doesn't get it

Quote Originally Posted by BTB View Post
    I just don't understand why Few doesn't just recruit tall, fast, strong players that can jump out of the gym, have soft hands, great footwork, elite ballhandling skills, shoot lights out, and play lockdown defense and make incredible chase-down blocks that are great people who will represent our community well and who already want to come here. I guess he just doesn't get it
    +100
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Maybe those in the know can explain, but why is he a priority over small? Did Kendall just decide he wants a different team? Aside from there not being a roster spot and the team having too many guards on the roster for next year and this potentially turning off recruits who might have been interested (if small still was), this makes a ton of sense.

After watching a few videos I'd say he has Ravio's shot, Christopher Anderson quicks, and Anthony Ireland moves. The problem is he has fr year Stockton's size.

As has been pointed out, any number of small guards have been very effective in college bball. However those guards have to be lightning quick, usually fairly strong, and able to drive to the hoop and finish at will. Being able to shoot well enough to keep the D honest doesn't hurt. Without being a very good driver, the small size ends up being a detriment that gets exploited.