Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Angel Nunez

Default Angel Nunez

As someone stated in another current thread, I don’t think anyone on the Zags current roster has more of an upside than Angel Nunez. In fact, I will go one thought further and say there has not been a more athletic, quasi big man (six-six or above) with as much potential come to Gonzaga as Nunez. I admit that I have no idea if Nunez is fully capable of harnessing his athletic potential. Is he not coachable? Does he lack desire or motivation? Does he have attitude issues or not gel with teammates? Were there issues at Louisville other than playing time and an injury that caused his early departure?

If none of the above is the correct answer, than the staff should keep Nunez in Spokane this summer and encourage this young man to strive on and off the court to reach for excellence. We have been told that in practice, Nunez has a terrific jump shot extending to the three point range. With a full summer of hard work in Spokane and bucketfulls of encouragement from the coaching staff, Gonzaga, would have another All American next year and a hellava basketball team.

Nunez is gonna waste away on the bench next year... no room for him

I thought Daye had an enormous amount of potential, between length, skill, shooting ability, timing, etc. plus decent athleticism. Nunez doesn't have that kind of combination, but he does seem to have a lot of tools to work with. Daye's potential was largely unrealized. I'm not overly optimistic about how Nunez' career is going to play out at GU.

I think Nunez has a lot of potential, but not as much as Heytvelt and Daye.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased View Post
    As someone stated in another current thread, I don’t think anyone on the Zags current roster has more of an upside than Angel Nunez. In fact, I will go one thought further and say there has not been a more athletic, quasi big man (six-six or above) with as much potential come to Gonzaga as Nunez. I admit that I have no idea if Nunez is fully capable of harnessing his athletic potential. Is he not coachable? Does he lack desire or motivation? Does he have attitude issues or not gel with teammates? Were there issues at Louisville other than playing time and an injury that caused his early departure?

If none of the above is the correct answer, than the staff should keep Nunez in Spokane this summer and encourage this young man to strive on and off the court to reach for excellence. We have been told that in practice, Nunez has a terrific jump shot extending to the three point range. With a full summer of hard work in Spokane and bucketfulls of encouragement from the coaching staff, Gonzaga, would have another All American next year and a hellava basketball team.
    i would suggest that both e.knight and micah downs had more talent than nunez based on what i've seen so far...nunez still has some time left though.

these are the two aside from the already mentioned daye...to me josh.h is a different category as a true big (if we want to compare those similar to nunez).

I think Angel will get every opportunity to work his magic next year. I hope he's ready. He came to GU to complete his game. And that's exactly what he needs to do.

I have no doubt the coaches, trainers and Nunez know exactly what he needs to do to improve his game. It's up to him to get it done between now and the start of the new season. If he does, we could very well see the new Angel in uniform. If not, that will be evident fairly quickly, too.

The first real sign I will be looking to see is Angel on the floor, knowing the plays and what to do, blending into the motion and purpose of the plays at hand.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I thought Daye had an enormous amount of potential, between length, skill, shooting ability, timing, etc. plus decent athleticism. Nunez doesn't have that kind of combination, but he does seem to have a lot of tools to work with. Daye's potential was largely unrealized. I'm not overly optimistic about how Nunez' career is going to play out at GU.
    Daye's potential was largely unrealized?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

I agree with his size and potential. Not sure I agree he will waste away on the bench. He has 2 more full years and that means 2 more full off-seasons to build some chemistry with the guys and Few. He didn't get recruited to Louisville for no reason. Is it possible his concussion has left him with some intensity issues? When could he officially practice normally with Gonzaga, based on doctors recommendations?

Between Drano, Barham and Coleman, Nunez was the newest guy on the team when he was eligible just before the WCC started. I think Nunez's lack of PT was more on Few's playing the best and most WCC experienced. The similarity of GC and AN in playing time and "awkwardness", IMO demonstrates some evidence that Mark Fews 8 man rotation is very hard to crack with barely a year in the program.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Daye's potential was largely unrealized?
    That's just my opinion, but yep. He had a decent career, but he barely scratched the surface of what he could've done. I honestly think he could've been close to a Morrison type of unstoppable scorer.

Players need to realize their own potential, I don't believe there is a lack of coaching. I am no coach, but he looks lost when he is out there.

I agree with Bart. He had time to learn what to do at both the offensive and defensive ends of the court. But like as been stated he started mid year and had been out over a year and his freshman year played very little. So this summer is when I would expect to see a large jump in his understanding of the college game. It will be up to home to start understanding when to do what. He has to learn how to play defense. He gambled too much, but I think he could be a very good player.

He does look lost out there many games (he had a great game against SMC). But, he joined the team mid-way through of his Frosh year (essentially). He had to pick up on upper division basketball after missing all the intro classes earlier in the year.

Yes, no doubt, he could have possibly looked more organized and better. But, given the above and then not being able to play through anything b/c he joins in the conference season? I really don't think we should take much from last year. I am optimistic.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Needs to learn offense, too, both individually and the team offense. His zero assists speak volumes about the latter. As to the former, I only observed one offensive move: face up and bull rush the basket no matter who stands in the way.

He has a lot of athleticism and that silky touch. He just needs a ton more refinement and experience.

I just realized that my post, which I placed in another thread, probably belongs here instead:

Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post

Next season I would hope we see a big jump for Angel Nunez. This kid has all the tools.
    and SittingOn50 said: "Angel will be a stud, IMO. If he gets it rollin' next year, look out."

Nunez needs to make 3 or 4 decisions on his way into the paint and on towards the basket. If you watch players like LeBron, Delly, Matt B., and others as they approach the paint they are just as likely to pass to an inside Big Man, kick it out to a 3 pt shooter, take it to the hoop, lift a floater, or pull up for a mid jumper. Their decisions are based on taking what the defense offers as well as that being their mental focus. If you watch Nunez on the perimeter, once he decides to go in, defenses can count on him going to the hoop. Some players don't have the reflexes and innate ability to slow time down that much while in the heat of battle (most of us). Others do, but don't develop it (Nunez). Others (aforementioned) can do both. I am not saying that is easy. I am saying until Nunez can slow time down as he approaches the hoop, and make 3 or 4 decisions along the way, he will not make the NBA. Discussing his defense is another whole story - but I do believe in him: if he can raise his BB IQ the sky is the limit. Just an opinion from a zag fanatic ....

this thread is over the top delusional....some here seem to be talking about a player who avg 12-8 with a nice breakthrough season....NBA? this can't be real....its a long slog to the first 14-15 game so i suppose this is not the first such discussion.....

He has the same coaches (less Ray) as Kelly and Sacre and they are making NBA money, so I think it is up to him. If he takes advantage of this skills like Pangos and Hart have, well....he could have a very lucrative career.

If Gonzaga is going to actually ever make a deep run, in addition to a lot of luck, they will need to have long athletic lock down defenders and if Coleman or Angel would devote themselves to playing defense, they would play 35 minutes a game.

Full disclosure, I really don't know much about defense, my 5th and 6th graders played zone, for obvious reasons they were not ready for man to man.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    this thread is over the top delusional....some here seem to be talking about a player who avg 12-8 with a nice breakthrough season....NBA? this can't be real....its a long slog to the first 14-15 game so i suppose this is not the first such discussion.....
    No harm just discussing how he can reach his potential - delusional on end result or not. He does have a lot of natural ability, think of what Pangos would do to get that body and hops?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    No harm just discussing how he can reach his potential - delusional on end result or not. He does have a lot of natural ability, think of what Pangos would do to get that body and hops?
    Dix, of course not....but it wd be more, well, rational if there was more to meet the eye....u can pose same debate about Kyle Wiltjer and at least have the kernels of a discussion. Nunez showed nothing last year except jumping ability when a lane was enabled, a nice foul shot, and decent rebounding......sigh...

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    i think a lot of people on this board (not necessarily talking about you, dix) who lack intimate association with or knowledge of div.1 level competition confuse "athletic" potential (or "natural ability") with "basketball" potential...just because nunez is 6'8 and has nice hops doesn't necessarily give him more potential than say kevin pangos. a lot of people don't seem to realize that elite div.1 top 25 level skill and basketball iq are often almost as innate (meaning "natural ability") as physical athleticism. there are top 25 div.1 guards that could work on nothing but passing for their whole career and they still wouldn't feed the post as well as stockton. people don't seem to understand that skill and b-ball iq are sometimes just as difficult to develop as athleticism at an elite level. do people really believe that all the freak athletes out there that don't become stars or nba players all simply didn't work hard enough on their game or didn't have good coaching??? it's simply a natural human tendency for normal people who lack div.1 level talent to think that way...it's a lot easier on the ego to say i don't have the hops to play hoops than to say i'm not coordinated enough to play hoops because we've been programmed to think that hops is something you're born with while coordination is something that is purely acquired / learned / developed.
    Last edited by WallaWallaZag; 04-02-2014 at 08:07 AM.

I wouldn't get carried away with throwing out terms like ability, skill, and talent with Nunez just yet. He has a lot of potential, the raw product shows a ton of promise. Take a look at his stats and one area stands out, his FT shooting is excellent, his rebounding is good. His 2 pt and 3 pt FG % is nothing to get excited about yet. If he learns how to defend, cut down on fouls, and drive to the iron and pick up fouls instead of making them, then he will be a solid contributor. Before the season we heard he liked to shoot the mid range jumper and the 3. His stats esp 3 pt % don't warrant that being an emphasis.
    https://admin.xosn.com/fls/26400//MB...STATISTICS.pdf

IIRC, as a result of his concussion he wasn't cleared to even practice last season until late February. If he works on defense and banging inside, then he will get more PT. He really has had only about 1 season with the Zags and another Summer and Fall could do wonders. I'm hoping for the best.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Bird dog, well stated. He is young and hopefully will use the summer to improve all of his skills. Knowing where to be and what is expected will do wonders. Then his natural ability will be act instead of think first and then act.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    i think a lot of people on this board (not necessarily talking about you, dix) who lack intimate association with or knowledge of div.1 level competition confuse "athletic" potential (or "natural ability") with "basketball" potential...just because nunez is 6'8 and has decent hops doesn't necessarily give him more potential than say kevin pangos. a lot of people don't seem to realize that elite div.1 top 25 level skill and basketball iq are often almost as innate (meaning "natural ability") as physical athleticism. there are top 25 div.1 guards that could work on nothing but passing for their whole career and they still wouldn't feed the post as well as stockton. people don't seem to understand that skill and b-ball iq are sometimes just as difficult to develop as athleticism at an elite level. do people really believe that all the freak athletes out there that don't become stars or nba players all simply didn't work hard enough on their game or didn't have good coaching???
    And not to pick on you wallawalla but even those that have the job of evaluating D-1 level athletes have a difficult job and get it wrong sometimes...... look at an athlete like Joe Harris. Here's a 6'6" kid coached by his father and wanted to attend GU. My point is even coaches with an intimate association or knowledge of D-1 level competition face tough decisions when recruiting.

What you seem to be inferring is that Nunez could be one of many athletes that has great athleticism but is incapable of gaining basketball iq. I disagree and believe the coaching staff must see something in Nunez to give him a chance to play at GU.

i think a lot of people on this board (not necessarily talking about you, dix) who lack intimate association with or knowledge of div.1 level competition confuse "athletic" potential (or "natural ability") with "basketball" potential...just because nunez is 6'8 and has nice hops doesn't necessarily give him more potential than say kevin pangos. a lot of people don't seem to realize that elite div.1 top 25 level skill and basketball iq are often almost as innate (meaning "natural ability") as physical athleticism. there are top 25 div.1 guards that could work on nothing but passing for their whole career and they still wouldn't feed the post as well as stockton. people don't seem to understand that skill and b-ball iq are sometimes just as difficult to develop as athleticism at an elite level. do people really believe that all the freak athletes out there that don't become stars or nba players all simply didn't work hard enough on their game or didn't have good coaching??? it's simply a natural human tendency for normal people who lack div.1 level talent to think that way...it's a lot easier on the ego to say i don't have the hops to play hoops than to say i'm not coordinated enough to play hoops because we've been programmed to think that hops is something you're born with while coordination is something that is purely acquired / learned / developed.
    Where do you keep the list outlining everyone's association with or knowledge of Division 1-level competition?
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    What you seem to be inferring is that Nunez could be one of many athletes that has great athleticism but is incapable of gaining basketball iq. I disagree and believe the coaching staff must see something in Nunez to give him a chance to play at GU.
    not inferring this at all...it's more directed at all the people who seem to think athletes like nunez are being held back from reaching their "potential" by mark few, as if playing time is all it would take to turn them into nba players.

Couldn't agree more. Athleticism =/= potential. He definitely could get to the point where he is a very VERY nice contributor, but he's a ways away from there.