Thread: The Mark Few (end of season) Show sunday night on KHQ t.v. with Tom Hudson

Default The Mark Few (end of season) Show sunday night on KHQ t.v. with Tom Hudson

MF asked to assess the year: Given all that we started with, the lower expectations, the losses of KO, EH & MH, we did a remarkable job. we've had teams reach their ceiling before, but this team reached it's ceiling and exceeded it. We wound up with the second most wins in school history at 29-7. We lost two guys to the pros with EH and KO. and the def player of the year in Hart.

TH: we also tend to forget Dower and GB injuries. and then the flu bug hit everyone in the building, it seems . . . .

MF: Yeah it was relentless, we had turf toe, ankles and broken bones. pretty amazing year overall. to that end, Gin Nyland (sp?) was amazing. Just to get the product onto the floor was monumental effort and success in some cases . . .

TH: re NCAA & OK: I thought they were higher than a 9.
    MF: Yeah that was a good team. There's probably a great chance there will be 3 pros on that team, nash, brown and smart (a lottery pick). solid shooter in forte and other ahtletes that surround em. amazing accomplishment to beat them. went back and watched last year's game in stillwater. ko hart played great. this group stepped up. we were in control of that game from the jump. we were tough and physical. hung with it. re fouls, a real physical game and fouls needed to be called. if we'd have made f.t.'s earlier we'd have won sooner.

TH: then AZ quick and athletic. could see that one coming.
    MF: told guys afterwards to just throw that game out. What was really disappointing was t-o's. we haven't done that all year. we lost our way and they got out and ran. sean miller has done an amazing job with that team. they are a team. they play great D and pay attention to detail. They struggled on O this year but they picked a game to focus on against us. They didn't do that will vs weber. But, again, our turnovers led to a lot of that. Even at all that, it would have been difficult to win against that team that night.

TH: we've had 6 consecutive wins in round one of NCAA. (cut to advertisement)

return to video highlights of the season, including seniors.

Subway Sub of the Year: Drew Barham
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Default P. 2

TH: what do you think the legacy will be for these four seniors leave.

MF: "A legacy of winning. look at the wins DH and SD have accrued, my guess is 136 plus. That's up there with anyone in the NCAA. amazing.

Plus all the comeradarie, hard work, competitiveness they brought to the program. I don't know if we've had a better competitor than DS. How he approached things. With SD we had coolness coolness. Drew was unbvelievable, he gave up his spot at Memphis to come to Gonzaga. He has a strong faith. Just for him to come in and sacrifice Memphis and all of us personally was something very special.

Brian Bahskar, tough as nails, worked his tail off in practice. quite a legacy and they have established that.

cut to videos of career finishes

----

what about next year ?

MF: I was talking with Kevin just a bit ago (before taping this show). I told him to do nothing til May 1. He needs to heal his body and his mind. But, next year we have important guys coming back. GB and Kevin. PK took some major steps as a premiere big man in the whole country. we're excited about ryan edwards. we have Kyle wiltger who we think will step in. Then josh, cylas nielson and brian alberts out of California will be coming in -- and maybe we'll add a couple pieces later.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”

TH to MF: Final thoughts ?

MF: NO, I'd just like to say thanks to all the fans, the players and you, huddy. and Jordan, too (the director).

TH: Ok, thanks coach. And Thanks everybody, see you next year.

-0-..
    Go TEAM Zags !

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    TH: what do you think the legacy will be for these four seniors leave.

MF: "A legacy of winning. look at the wins DH and SD have accrued, my guess is 136 plus. That's up there with anyone in the NCAA. amazing.

Plus all the comeradarie, hard work, competitiveness they brought to the program. I don't know if we've had a better competitor than DS. How he approached things. With SD we had coolness coolness. Drew was unbvelievable, he gave up his spot at Memphis to come to Gonzaga. He has a strong faith. Just for him to come in and sacrifice Memphis and all of us personally was something very special.

Brian Bahskar, tough as nails, worked his tail off in practice. quite a legacy and they have established that.

cut to videos of career finishes

----

what about next year ?

MF: I was talking with Kevin just a bit ago (before taping this show). I told him to do nothing til May 1. He needs to heal his body and his mind. But, next year we have important guys coming back. GB and Kevin. PK took some major steps as a premiere big man in the whole country. we're excited about ryan edwards. we have Kyle wiltger who we think will step in. Then josh, cylas nielson and brian alberts out of California will be coming in -- and maybe we'll add a couple pieces later.
    wow...stunned and little disappointed that mention incoming freshman and no mention of draino....ouch
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    wow...stunned and little disappointed that mention incoming freshman and no mention of draino....ouch
    Agree. should have named all of those coming back, fwiw. I thought that as he spoke. The "problem," imo, was he was winging it. Decided to answer the question by talking about the newbies, mostly. If this interview gets any traction, he'll likely hear about it. That and the throwaway line at the end "and maybe we'll add a couple pieces later."
    Go TEAM Zags !

Agree. should have named all of those coming back, fwiw. I thought that as he spoke. The "problem," imo, was he was winging it. Decided to answer the question by talking about the newbies, mostly. If this interview gets any traction, he'll likely hear about it. That and the throwaway line at the end "and maybe we'll add a couple pieces later."
    Just retread it and saw the last line....interesting

Did not see it so no idea about winging it but will trust you on that
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

"couple of pieces later"---hmmmmm---a euro and a banger?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Inevitable that live & on the fly, someone will be forgotten. No intent, I'm sure.
    We didn't want the guy anyway.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Inevitable that live & on the fly, someone will be forgotten. No intent, I'm sure.
    my impression, too. fwiw. Frankly, I prefer these kinds of answers vs. a well tuned, timed and perfect interview that says nothing and leaves nothing to think about, either.
    Go TEAM Zags !

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Mark (no pun intended) me down for another +1.

Side Note: Usually, for us on the West Side of the Cascade Curtain, we get to see The Mark Few Show a few (no pun intended) days later. I checked the Root TV programing for the next couple days, but came up empty. Has anyone found a comcast channel/day/time that this broadcast will be shown for us isolated fans in Western Washington?

And also,..... Thanks, Gamagin, for your diligent effort in posting information from all these interviews throughout the season. Well Done!!

The part that stood out to me was, "and maybe we'll add a couple pieces later." With only 1 scholarship left ( going to Sabonis ) I would like to see how we could add a couple pieces. Maybe Few knows something we don't.
    Last I checked, we will be out of 2014 scholarships after Sabonis.

Marks a nervous guy ...moreso when he's being taped. I'm sure it was just an oversight. Kyle's good and did a great job this year. Few knows.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    The part that stood out to me was, "and maybe we'll add a couple pieces later." With only 1 scholarship left ( going to Sabonis ) I would like to see how we could add a couple pieces. Maybe Few knows something we don't.
    ZagaZags, you obviously know more than most when it comes to this stuff....but even so
    Sabonis, to my knowledge, has not officially verballed (or even unofficially for that matter) I'm guessing Sabonis is 1 of 2 that MF was talking about. So much guessing when all we have to go from are unofficial potential recruits ( one from a guy overseas who is leaning our way). In a way it's more fun that way this early- makes you come back and check on the board for updates....
    Last edited by 2wiceright; 03-30-2014 at 11:16 PM. Reason: spelling
    "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
    -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

To be honest, BobZag has confirmed this one to be fact. I did hear last summer if Sabonis didn't go pro in Europe, he was likely going to be a Zag. The only confirmation I have is from what GoZags and BobZag have posted on GU boards.

One person sent me a pm last year asking me about the ace in the hole. I sent EL MUSTACIO this same answer. Pro ball in Europe or GU.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WkAn...=RDWkAnOetp2Bs

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    One of our walk-ons just graduated…perhaps that was one spot he was referring to; as for the other, I have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Marks a nervous guy ...moreso when he's being taped. I'm sure it was just an oversight. Kyle's good and did a great job this year. Few knows.
    I sure wouldn't take anything from it, it just is like speaking in a conversation nearly - I seriously doubt he prepares these things, not his style, he wants to leave before he gets there.

The "couple" pieces? THAT is something a little weird, unless again, his mouth is moving while his head is thinking (and more will happen somewhere, Sabonis and a walk on) or something. That statement is weird, the other one is a throw away, but there are people here who know him far better than me.

This team did burst through its ceiling. I'm not sure it is being positive or being negative that I think they left a game or two out there and a couple seeds more - I'm saying it positively.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by wnczagfan View Post
    One of our walk-ons just graduated…perhaps that was one spot he was referring to; as for the other, I have no idea.
    Considering that "internet message boards" only know about 5% of what's going on .... your comment makes sense.

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by wnczagfan View Post
    I don't think after 15+ years that it should come as a surprise should a Zag decide to go elsewhere. This would also be the appropriate time to plan or make a change should it occur. The most often cited reason for leaving is the desire for more p.t. I can think of two incidents in which the players wanted to be nearer to their homes.

Since this is relatively common, it seems to me it would also be understandable for the coach and staff to be prepared to fill a slot should it be open. I don't think the coaches ever stop looking for prospects, but this time of year, after the season, would be the most likely time for coaches to be shopping and players to be assessing their futures. It's that time of year.
    Go TEAM Zags !

Kyle will not only be staying but most likely starting next season. Very happy Few nabbed him out of Nampa.

Btw, the newspaper has The Mark Few Show listed for radio KGA 1510 today at noon and 5:00.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Kyle will not only be staying but most likely starting next season. Very happy Few nabbed him out of Nampa.

Btw, the newspaper has The Mark Few Show listed for radio KGA 1510 today at noon and 5:00.
    Thanks for the heads up on the Replay Bob.

Few mentioned Kyle on the show

Few was actually very complimentary of Kyle. Called him their answer guy. Whenever we needed something off the bench Kyle had an answer. Said he'd like him to get stronger and become big guard/wing type. Thinks he can shoot 40% from 3 pt line.

Also very complimentary of Edwards. Staff is very excited about his potential

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Considering that "internet message boards" only know about 5% of what's going on .... your comment makes sense.
    Not to be snarky, but that diminishes your comments substantially

I have a good ability to read through crap so I know it when I see it, and for good measure your posts are not crap.
    Go Zags!!!