Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: What does Gonzaga need to be a team that can make a deep run in the NCAA tournament

...and Louisville won it last year with 3 guards that were barely 6-foot tall ..but they did have talent
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Pangos will be a senior next year; so I think Tommy needs to begin doing some mining in Canada for a point guard.
    The point should be okay for the foreseeable future (i.e., Perkins, Silas, and the guy going on mission). We always seem to find a way to get the best back court guys we can possibly get. All major effort should be focused on the highest quality big men we can get. I have hopes for our front court freshmen, but there is no way to know how well they will develop going forward. So, lets focus first and foremost on the 4/5 positions.

Can Davis get another year??? We need an athletic big who's a lot like that. Stronger rebounder who scores. I think we're great at the guards. Nunez has the talent to be spectacular. This Off season work will tell the tale. COleman is limited by his shoooting and bad handles. He's a great defender though. Shem's hands are terrible........offseason work here would do him a world of good. Wiltjer is a great shooter but unless this year off was taken seriously he'll be a better shooter. Period. Kyle Dranginis will be much better because he's got the talent and works hard.
    All that's left is a Davis type kid. We MUST find one to make a deep run.
    Guards= Kevin. Bell ( who will improve much I'm hoping). Josh and Silas.....lots of power there. Lots of training for the newbies too. Alberts is a question because of his injuries but he surely has the goods.
    Last edited by MDABE80; 03-29-2014 at 10:13 PM.

Speaking of the guy going on a mission (Jessie Wade), Congrats to him

http://www.deseretnews.com/top/2376/...-years-5A.html

I think we are inching closer and closer every year. But IMO, we will improve our recruiting even more if we can have a couple deep runs along with consistent winning during the regular season. The way Few is building this program is that there is no rebuilding year and so if we can get a final four, recruits will already know we are not a flash in the pan and that we don't really have rebuilding years. So they know Gonzaga will again compete for a final four in the future. Also we have to take into account the differing rates of development for kids. Look at Adam Morrison. Karnowski. Not all kids are at the top of their game as 18year olds.

Anyway, never say never. I can honestly say IMO, that recruiting is still improving, the transfers are better and we had 61 wins in the last 2 years. The only thing completing this program is start averaging at least 2 or more wins in the dance for the next 3-4 years.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Abe.....alcohol and posting do not mix.

I agree with the need of a big athletic bruising big.

I agree. I'm sober since 97 And you?

I may have mistook the typos and the "Wiltjer is a great shooter but unless this year off was taken seriously he'll be a great shooter." as something related to alcohol--maybe I am missing a portion of your post.

I think that we need to develop the players we have....none of this transfer BS. Nunez is exactly the kind of athlete we need to make the next step....and Coleman can do some damage too. The facts are we have the players and recruits that can get it done. Will it take hard work? You betcha. Would it surprise me to see PK as an AA next year? nope. Would it surprise me to see KP average 8 or 9 assists next year? NOPE. Can Dranginis take it another notch up....YES Can Nunez learn to mesh his game with the GU system..YES I also think our recruits are gonna fit in nicely. I haven't even mentioned Wiljer...maybe the best player on the team. Can Edwards up his game...YUP. Folks we could be one of the biggest most physical front courts in America next year...with a first class PG to run it all. We will come in a top 10 team...we're that good....no changes necessary...just hard work.

Interesting on Sports Center this morning

"Every single player that has played for Tom Izzo at Michigan State has played in a final four"

Amazing!!
    To Fish & Game: Keep streams stocked well for Mr. Few!

Confidence and adaptability!

Confidence: To me, our team often does not look like itself in the NCAA's. We look nervous, play hurriedly. Even in the games we have won the past couple years, we didn't look like we were playing our game with confidence.

Adaptability. I also feel we need to adapt during the game to the fact that these elite teams have scouted us, and be able to change what we are doing if they are taking advantage of some part of our defense. It seemed to me that time and time again Arizona cut to the basket along the baseline for uncontested buckets, yet we never changed to block that lane. I kept seeing it over and over again. I payed special attention to Wisconsin, and (probably after having seen our game) they shifted someone one at the last second to the baseline every time an Arizona player approached from along the baseline from the outside, and it was effective.

I realize you have to pick your poison, but when the other team is consistently successful in one area, perhaps you need to change to a different poison.

That's what I think I see….

P.S. As to the post above about Tom Izzo; remember when they came to Spokane and we were beating them? Tom Izzo adapted during that game, and eventually beat us…. I put Michigan State in the final four in my bracket this year precisely because of Tom Izzo, and his ability to find a way to win games. I don't think he has better players than any team in the country, but I do think he knows how to find a way to win a game during the game. We tend to stick with the tried and true, and I think that works in conference. When we get to the NCAA's, it seems like we need to be a little more adaptable, imho.

We need about 3 or 4 top 5 recruiting classes with a dozen McDonalds All American's and some better luck than Kansas or Duke has had in the NCAA Tourney....

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    We need about 3 or 4 top 5 recruiting classes with a dozen McDonalds All American's and some better luck than Kansas or Duke has had in the NCAA Tourney....
    I hear what you are saying, but I would much rather win or lose with our great guys who stay long enough for us to get to know and love them, than deal with some of the attitudes/arrogance of some of the top players, and the turnover associated with them. Just my feeling….

Quote Originally Posted by wnczagfan View Post
    I hear what you are saying, but I would much rather win or lose with our great guys who stay long enough for us to get to know and love them, than deal with some of the attitudes/arrogance of some of the top players, and the turnover associated with them. Just my feeling….
    I am not disagreeing with you at all. I am more than happy with the program we have but if you really think Gonzaga can go deep, it will need to have the same kind of players that the teams that consistently go deep have. Few has no margin for error. I think it is remarkable that he can get to the round of 32. I don't believe coaching is a problem....

In fact, I don't believe there is a problem.

I am not disagreeing with you at all. I am more than happy with the program we have but if you really think Gonzaga can go deep, it will need to have the same kind of players that the teams that consistently go deep have. Few has no margin for error. I think it is remarkable that he can get to the round of 32. I don't believe coaching is a problem....

In fact, I don't believe there is a problem.
    Agreed! Love our program, what we do and the way we do it. Always looking for ways we can constantly improve/ tweak things though....

Cheers!

Remember when we were told how much Coleman was going to help us big time? Remember when PMAC started as a Soph and won a ton of games? Remember when Carter kept our streak alive and took WCC MVP as Junior? Remember when Few said we will be better when Guy Landry Edi becomes eligible? Remember when Meech made a basket and everybody including Few anointed him the next starting pg after only one year? Remember when Manny Arop was playing important minutes his first year and a half and then lost his play book?

Maybe our coach needs to get out of his own way and let his players get some confidence and play. I know Maynard will have excuses for each, but I want to hear them anyway.
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

If you want a deep run in the tourny, we need better players. Until then the sweet 16 is about as good as it will get for Gonzaga without very favorable matchups.
    Last edited by GoZagsGo; 03-30-2014 at 09:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzagger View Post
    Remember when we were told how much Coleman was going to help us big time? Remember when PMAC started as a Soph and won a ton of games? Remember when Carter kept our streak alive and took WCC MVP as Junior? Remember when Few said we will be better when Guy Landry Edi becomes eligible? Remember when Meech made a basket and everybody including Few anointed him the next starting pg after only one year? Remember when Manny Arop was playing important minutes his first year and a half and then lost his play book?

Maybe our coach needs to get out of his own way and let his players get some confidence and play. I know Maynard will have excuses for each, but I want to hear them anyway.
    I doubt that there is a team in the top 50 who allow players to play in whatever way they want to play. Every team that is really good has an offensive structure that players need to learn to play in. And in every offensive structure there is room for freedom to make one on one moves. That is a fact. Players who wish to play for any of these fifty teams MUST learn to play within both the offensive and defensive systems. It is up to players to score baskets when they go into a game, and only the players can do that. No coach, including Mark Few, shoots the ball for the players. If you want to play, make shots, defend and play within the structures. The players that you mention up above in your post, either could not shoot from the outside (Arop, Landry-Edi, Meech, or they lost their shot along the way like PMAC and Carter. Coleman would fit into the group who does not have an outside shot.

The last thing a player should do is blame the coach. It's just a bad mistake. If you want to play go out there and win the minutes. It's great to be able to do it in practice, but there is a huge difference between doing it in practice and doing it in a game. You must be able to make baskets when you go into a game if you are a bench player, and the more baskets you make the more you will play. But you MUST also be able to do so within a system, and you must play defense.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Maybe things change and other players develop faster/embrace the system a bit quicker-- some players play out of necessity while other players are given a chance to prove themselves--some have the ability to rise to the occasion (Hart, Drew, Dranginis as an example)--while others are still working on their skillsets and still working on learning the system.

At the alumni dinner I recall Tommy Lloyd saying the Coleman/Nunez were very athletic but had other things to work on with their game-- and I believe the rest of the coaching staff echoed the same feeling.

Maybe you are confusing what is said on the board with what the coaching staff actually says.

Reborn is right on---if you are a player with an area that needs work to be able to get playing time on the court--- you should be working on that area (i.e. shooting 1000 3 pt shots a day until you are able to hit them at a decent % for a guard).

I honestly believe that if Few had the entire Kentucky starting lineup he would not give any of them playing time at GU until each of them adapted their style of play to the "Few system". Some coaches seem to adapt themselves and their coaching style to fit the available talent. Others, like Few, seem to demand that the talent adapt to his system. I guess with Few's string of NCAA appearances there are many who would not argue with his approach.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Bart, I absolutely agree with you and others on this thread regarding better recruiting. However, given the severe program limitations with respect to geography and conference affiliation, I have a very simple question; How on God's green earth is the staff supposed to do that?? Wanting it really badly does not make it so. There are only so many "Burger Boys" each year and they are NOT, I repeat NOT, coming to Spokane, WA to play in the WCC. No way, no how, it simply isn't going to happen. The Canada/Euro route has definitely helped, but those guys are not typically "tough" in the way it is hoped for in this thread (big, strong rebounders and paint protectors) Maybe Ronny, Rob Sacre, and Kelly are exceptions to this rule, but that's only 3 guys in Few's 15 years, not 3 guys on this year's squad. KP is as tough as they come, but he is not going to protect the rim or strike fear into other team's guards when they think of driving the lane. Maybe Karno will get there, his story has yet to be completed. Maybe Sabonis will help. Maybe, maybe, maybe...........

I think the staff is doing an admirable job in getting quality kids to join the program. Transfers are a crap shoot, even more so than the 4 or 5 year program guys, as are the highly talented guys who may leave for the NBA early. Seriously, can you imagine where this year's team may have gone if Kelly had stayed for his Senior year??? How could the staff have know he was going to "blow-up" his Junior year and be a first round pick. Maybe Spangler would have stayed had he known Kelly would be gone. Everyone is saying we need that bruising 4 who can rebound and protect the rim. Well.............we had two in the program recently, one is now in the NBA a year before his eligibility was used up and the other one is playing at Oklahoma. Maybe Few's son will grow up to be the next McDermott and he will lead us to the E8 or beyond.............Maybe, maybe, maybe.......

Name me any other mid-major who has been to the Dance 15 years in a row. For that matter, tell me how many of the 300+ NCAA Div. 1 Basketball Programs have done that, I think there are 4 or 5. That is pretty elite company, folks, rarified air to be sure.

Maybe our typical yearly ceiling is the Sweet 16, with the occasional run beyond that. That's OK with me. I think a reality check is in order here. Dreams are great, I want a FF as bad as anyone else, but reality (recruiting reality in this case), is needed for a little perspective. I would also love to date Sofia Vergara, but reality tells me differently for a variety of reasons.

This is not a "Few is God" post or anything close to that. I have questioned Coach on this board as much as anyone else, but you have to give credit where it is due. He and his staff are doing a great job playing the hand they have been dealt, and building a nationally recognized program in a backwater location while members of a non-BCS conference with no where else to go at a school where academics and student character are emphasized.

Be careful what you wish for...........IMHO Kentucky will soon rue the day they sold their souls to Calipari.

Go ZAGS

Did anyone get a chance to see Few's under 19 team play any games with Smart? Would be interesting to know if they ran any offense or just AAU type running.

+1

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    The lesson here is to fully enjoy the regular season as it unfolds. What happens in the tournament is often subject to circumstances beyond our control. Even being a #1 seed last year did not prevent us from playing what may have been the most difficult matchup possible for us in our 2nd game. That is the nature of the tournament--much depends on luck and draws and there is a whole lot more to college basketball than the NCAA tourney
    This. And a miracle worker.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9tAKLTktY0
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    I honestly believe that if Few had the entire Kentucky starting lineup he would not give any of them playing time at GU until each of them adapted their style of play to the "Few system". Some coaches seem to adapt themselves and their coaching style to fit the available talent. Others, like Few, seem to demand that the talent adapt to his system. I guess with Few's string of NCAA appearances there are many who would not argue with his approach.

Go Bulldogs!
    I agree. Few has his way of doing things and most people seem to be happy with it so... if it ain't broke I guess.

Success for Gonzaga basketball is measured by how well the team does in conference. If they can consistently win the WCC and just get in the tournament that's plenty. How well they perform once in the tournament is really irrelevant at this point. The team isn't built for the post season. The odds say they are bound to make a deep run someday if they keep getting in, but luck will be a huge factor and a repeat performance would be unlikely.

Sound like most think the present state of the program is OK. I do not. I think we can do better. Much better. Never surrender to 1 and done.