Thread: The Zags On The Silver Screen...

Default The Zags On The Silver Screen...

After listening to my wife, I've finally come to terms with how it feels to be a Zag fan and watching the team year after year. I was able to put it into terms of a movie she loves and we are all familiar with. I'm not a fan of this movie, but it seems to make sense after hearing my wife's sorrow regarding the Zag's season year after year. Here we go with my fun-hearted comparison...

The Zags are Leonardo Decaprio, Zag fans are Kate Winslet, and the script is The Titanic.

Leonardo Decaprio sets out on a journey aboard the ship Titanic (representing the Zag season). As a 2nd class passenger (mid-major), Leonardo gets the quarters in the lower portion of the ship. The ship sets sail with Leonardo and Kate Winslet, and they are "on top of the world". Life is good aboard the Titanic, and the future begins to look even brighter. The cruise isn't without it's up and downs for Leonardo and Kate, but Leonardo eventually gets lucky with the girl (WCC Championships) and it appears to be a match made in heaven. Unfortunately, the Titanic shortly thereafter hits an iceberg (NCAA Tournament). From this moment the future is in question, and Leonardo and Kate have to accept the fact that the ship is sinking. Sadly enough the ship does sink and Leonardo slips through the hands of Kate and falls into the deep abyss of darkness.

According to my wife, the movie The Titanic is full of adventure, fun, love, challenges, sad moments, and eventually the emotions of a lost love. She loves the movie, but no matter how many times she watches it the Titanic always sinks, Leonardo is gone, and Kate is left heart broken. She has become resigned to this fact, but continues to put the movie into the DVD player because she loves the story. Maybe I'm completely wrong with my comparison here, but it's how I'm beginning to understand why Zag fans come back each year even though the story has become predictable. Feel free to agree or disagree... that's what we are here for.

Default I love it...

That is one of my favorite posts of the year. I think you are absolutely right.

Just to add a little perspective, Gonzaga basketball used to go something like this: Leonardo sees Kate (success, national recognition). He tries, to no avail, to win her attentions. When he does have a chance to catch her eye, he flails around pathetically and if she even notices him, she scoffs at his ineptitude. The boat sails. Leonardo stands on the dock and watches. Kate does not look back. And Leonardo dies anyway.

Now, that is a boring story and what GU bball used to be. So, like your wife, I am all for the drama, pain and death that comes with the annual March telling of this story.
    Some people have a way with words. Some people not have way.

Just once, I'd like the Zags to be the iceberg dead ahead. . .

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

great post Zag Addict

from another zag addict

Sad story.

I prefer to think we're in the midst of the best basketball story ever and the script is still being written. To be continued....
    Go Zags!!!

Default Disagree

"She has become resigned to this fact, but continues to put the movie into the DVD player because she loves the story. Maybe I'm completely wrong with my comparison here, but it's how I'm beginning to understand why Zag fans come back each year even though the story has become predictable. Feel free to agree or disagree. "

I disagree. Your wife is a lot smarter than most of us. She realizes the chances of the Titanic making the cruise all the way are virtually nil, and yet she enjoys the movie nonetheless. Many of us would sit next to her, root against the iceberg, and then when the ship sank we would come apart at the seams and complain bitterly that Leo and Kate weren't tall and athletic enough.
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

except one day, we will realize that we are on the Queen Mary and not the Titanic and what a wonderful journey that will be....so full of memories
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Hahaha! One movie I have never seen. Never plan to, either.
    ...and there definitely is no such thing as Prince Charming.

Very good, ZA. Nice metaphor...well...sort of. Let's hope the Zags can start being The Unsinkable Molly Brown a bit more often, though, ay?
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

The titanic is a good metaphor, but IMO, everyone is saved on the Zagtanic. Although the cruise is over when the ship sinks, and that years roster is changed forever, no one dies. It is a game. The Zags who lose in the tournament then just move on to the life raft and become fans and are saved also, plus the experience of the great cruises they had on the Zagtanic will live on forever, even if it never reached the final destination.

Dower and Stockton were on five Zagtanics. They survived, and they will always be Zags. And better for it. So are we as fans.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
    The titanic is a good metaphor, but IMO, everyone is saved on the Zagtanic. Although the cruise is over when the ship sinks, and that years roster is changed forever, no one dies. It is a game. The Zags who lose in the tournament then just move on to the life raft and become fans and are saved also, plus the experience of the great cruises they had on the Zagtanic will live on forever, even if it never reached the final destination.

Dower and Stockton were on five Zagtanics. They survived, and they will always be Zags. And better for it. So are we as fans.
    Sounds like that dude Sicifus(sp?) in Pergutory who pushes the big rock up the hill, only to have the thing roll down the other side, over and over, forever.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer6 View Post
    That is one of my favorite posts of the year. I think you are absolutely right.

Just to add a little perspective, Gonzaga basketball used to go something like this: Leonardo sees Kate (success, national recognition). He tries, to no avail, to win her attentions. When he does have a chance to catch her eye, he flails around pathetically and if she even notices him, she scoffs at his ineptitude. The boat sails. Leonardo stands on the dock and watches. Kate does not look back. And Leonardo dies anyway.

Now, that is a boring story and what GU bball used to be. So, like your wife, I am all for the drama, pain and death that comes with the annual March telling of this story.
    Great original post, and this is a great addition to the post! One of these year's we are going to bust right through that iceberg… But until then we must enjoy the ride.

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Very good, ZA. Nice metaphor...well...sort of. Let's hope the Zags can start being The Unsinkable Molly Brown a bit more often, though, ay?
    +1 Agreed BZ

Well, O.K. Addict; but I'm not takin' my clothes off for anyone here.
    But we don't play nobody.

I prefer scrubs ending from season 8.

You are sad they can't go on but eventually we all get back together and meet up like family and friends for more memories. I know their are some cox's, turks, jds, and elliots.

Comparing the Zags fans to a movie reminded me of a review of a play I once read. The play was "The Life of Ann Frank." A reviewer wrote that the acting in the first five minutes was so bad someone in the audience yelled out "LOOK IN THE ATTIC !"
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Sounds like that dude Sicifus(sp?) in Pergutory who pushes the big rock up the hill, only to have the thing roll down the other side, over and over, forever.
    Close on the spelling... Sisyphus...

"And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    Comparing the Zags fans to a movie reminded me of a review of a play I once read. The play was "The Life of Ann Frank." A reviewer wrote that the acting in the first five minutes was so bad someone in the audience yelled out "LOOK IN THE ATTIC !"
    That made me lol.

Or the zags are Lucy, fans are Charlie Brown, and the NCAA tournament is the football. One of these days though...

Quote Originally Posted by Ekrub View Post
    Or the zags are Lucy, fans are Charlie Brown, and the NCAA tournament is the football. One of these days though...
    Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ekrub View Post
    Absolutely!