Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Next years team identity

Default Next years team identity

Well, this year is done. I really liked the identity of our team as it developed. We were much more balanced and defensively oriented than we have ever been. At the beginning of the year we were the top three point shooting team in the country. Then we evolved into more of an inside out team with Dower shining and Karno making leaps and bounds in his development. We never really seemed to get our offense figured out like we had the potential to do.

So next year, what will the team identity be? I think barring the loss of some coaches, our defense will continue to be top 25 given who we return. Karno should be back, and can anchor the d. If KW has managed to gain some quickness, he can likely match SD's defensive production. I think KD will continue to be solid on D and will probably replace a lot of DS's production. I hope Josh Perkins can contribute right away. Of course we know what we have with GBJ and KP. I think we could be as good or better defensively overall. Of course we will miss DS's steals, but we survived the loss of Hart so I think we look good.

On offense, we look loaded. No need to go into detail here. We have scorers both inside and out. We have NBA sized bigs that can score. We have returning guards as well as highly regarded new editions. I predict that early on KW and PK establish themselves as one of the best offensive frontcourts, with teams adjusting defensively to prevent them from getting the ball. The result is lots and lots of opportunities for our guards. I'm thinking we will be an outside in team by tourney time with a top 20 offense.

So what do you all think for a team identity next year?

We will be guard oriented but at same time believe Karno will be 16-18ppg and 8-9rpg. I belieVe we will be a top 15 team all year but idk in march.

Quote Originally Posted by MTZag03 View Post
    I think barring the loss of some coaches, our defense will continue to be top 25 given who we return. Karno should be back, and can anchor the d. If KW has managed to gain some quickness, he can likely match SD's defensive production. I think KD will continue to be solid on D and will probably replace a lot of DS's production. I hope Josh Perkins can contribute right away. Of course we know what we have with GBJ and KP. I think we could be as good or better defensively overall. Of course we will miss DS's steals, but we survived the loss of Hart so I think we look good.
    I really want to see us execute on D next year. I think offensively we will have a few vets providing even scoring, and some raw (probably less consistent) scoring power from the new recruits. I think the identity of next year's team will be focused around senior leadership and young talent. I believe next year will be a great year for the Zags.

We should be very similar to this year...guard oriented but with a bit more size. Down low, we should be better on offense with another year for Karno and bringing in a polished scorer in Wiltjer. I see no reason why our defense won't be better.

All and all, we'll be a more experienced team filled with an all-upperclassmen starting line up - Pangos, Bell, Dranginis, Wiljter, and Karno.

With another year, Coleman, Nunez, and Edwards will be more prepared. I expect Perkins and Melson to get 10-20 per game and expect Meikle and Alberts to redshirt.
    Go Zags!!!

I am not really sure what to expect from next years team as we don't know what Wiltjer will bring to the team in terms of intangibles. We have seen him work hard, but I wanna see what he will do on the court.

I also wanna see what we do with Edwards especially in the offseason. Will we get highly touted Sabonis on the team? If so, what impact will he have on the team? Also Perkins and Melson join the mix of guards. Don't know what to expect there either.

Pangos and Bell as seniors. That's sad.
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Next years team should be very close to this years team. Remove David and Sam and put in KD and KW and you have the likely starting lineup. I believe KD will become a big player for Gunzaga and will take another jump in what he does. I expect KW to be better than Sam and bring more consistent scoring and scoring in different ways. In general it will feel like the same team to start the season, how the newcomers develop and add to the team will be the unknown upside.
    I believe Ryan will get major minutes, if not he is being wasted as I think he is a very good big man. His usage is key in my opinion.
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

A little more perimeter oriented as Wiltjer's outside shooting is too good to put on the shelf. Probably a little more challenged on the glass as KW probably can't replace SD's production there.

I'll miss Stockton's risk taking and tempo pushing style (and so will the team at times) but next year's squad will fit with Few's style as well as any team I can remember. He'll have shooters at positions 1 through 4. He'll have a big rim protector at the 5. He'll have smart and efficient seniors and juniors allowing him to run whatever entries and sets he wants.

Overall, we will be a very disciplined team both on offense and defense with guys who can execute team basketball. We will also be one of the best three point shooting teams in the nation (again). Maybe a European big will solve our rebounding concerns.

I'd like to see Edwards redshirt, assuming Sabonis comes. He's a kid who needs the 5 years to realize his potential. Karno, Sabonis, KW and Nunez as the big rotation.

With Wiltjer, Karno mostly has the middle to himself as the offense looks more like this year's when Barham was at the 4. So Karno scores maybe 15 a game. Lots of emphasis on getting him the ball in the post with 4 shooters waiting for the kickout if he gets doubled.

Pangos and Wiltjer were very good running the pick and roll/pick and pop in international play. I'd expect to see a lot of that as well.

Quote Originally Posted by WBM View Post
    I really want to see us execute on D next year. I think offensively we will have a few vets providing even scoring, and some raw (probably less consistent) scoring power from the new recruits. I think the identity of next year's team will be focused around senior leadership and young talent. I believe next year will be a great year for the Zags.
    I think an absolute commitment to defense is what is necessary for the Zags to take another step in the post season. They had a statistically good defense this year, but it really isn't in their DNA to be a D oriented team. Ferocious defense (and toughness) is what allowed Butler to get to the Title game in consecutive years. Those teams weren't particularly talented, or athletic, or even good shooting teams compared to all the BCS teams they left in their wake those 2 years. They just flat out got after it on D like it was life and death and they weren't going to back down from anybody. That's what it would take for GU to get that deep into the Tourney.

I think if Dranginis can work on his basic shot making ability (including FTs) and can add 10ppg to the mix next year, we will be a very dangerous team assuming Wiltjer lives up to expectations.

KD might be the X Factor though. If he started taking those lanes to the tin and finished with dunks instead of finesse lay-ins....he'd be a monster.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    I think an absolute commitment to defense is what is necessary for the Zags to take another step in the post season...
    ...on D like it was life and death and they weren't going to back down from anybody. That's what it would take for GU to get that deep into the Tourney.
    I'd love to see that tenacity.

No idea. So, for now and for this topic, I'm going to shut up and wear beige.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

I'd like to see next year's team operate on offense similar to the mid-90s Houston Rockets teams. Dump it into your center. Wait for the double team. Work the ball around the perimeter to an open shooter. Penetrate to get easy buckets when defenders are overly agressive on close outs.

On defense, it's hard to say what the team's identity will be. How much did KW develop physically over the past year? Will Nunez and Coleman earn enough minutes where they can impact the game on defense with their athleticism? How good of defender is JP? Will KP be playing PG or SG?
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

I think it will be KP's team, but barely.

For the first time last night I saw Karno channeling his frustration positively. He was trying hard to take the game over and make things happen. He was starting to fearlessly try new things and was successful and many of them. That game was a confidence builder for him and his leadership skills. Karno is smart. He is gonna start driving the team as well as Kevin. I hope he is around his senior year to really take charge.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I think it will be KP's team, but barely.

For the first time last night I saw Karno channeling his frustration positively. He was trying hard to take the game over and make things happen. He was starting to fearlessly try new things and was successful and many of them. That game was a confidence builder for him and his leadership skills. Karno is smart. He is gonna start driving the team as well as Kevin. I hope he is around his senior year to really take charge.
    +1

I think if he's healthy it's definitely KP's team. He was well on his way to having an outstanding season this year before the injury. Continued improvement from Karno would be great.

Can anyone tell me how many scholarships are still available for a recruit to sign this Spring?

Quote Originally Posted by CSIbooster View Post
    Can anyone tell me how many scholarships are still available for a recruit to sign this Spring?
    The last 2014 scholarship will go to Damantas Sobonis.

1. Pangos
    2. Bell
    3. Dranginis
    4. Perkins *
    5. Melson *
    6. Alberts *
    7. Karnowski
    8. Meikle
    9. Wiltjer
    10. Edwards
    11. Coleman
    12. Nunez
    13. Open
    Let's go Brandon!!!

Hopefully everyone stays and we don't have transfers
    11 cheers for binary!

"Make me a sandwich"
    "Make it yourself"
    "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
    "Okay"

Quote Originally Posted by primal23 View Post
    Hopefully everyone stays and we don't have transfers
    Fingers crossed.
    Let's go Brandon!!!

I would like to see Meikle and Edwards both redshirt. They will be good enough to contribute, but they will continue to be far enough down the bench that their minutes will be very limited. These are two kids who both look like they would benefit from more physical conditioning. They have both shown toughness and hustle and good basketball instincts during their first year on campus. I think the program would benefit more from having them around as big, strong, mature fifth year seniors than it will benefit from having two more sophomore bodies to back up Karno, Wiltjer, Sabonis, and Nunez.

Quote Originally Posted by Baseline View Post
    Next years team should be very close to this years team. Remove David and Sam and put in KD and KW and you have the likely starting lineup. I believe KD will become a big player for Gunzaga and will take another jump in what he does. I expect KW to be better than Sam and bring more consistent scoring and scoring in different ways. In general it will feel like the same team to start the season, how the newcomers develop and add to the team will be the unknown upside.
    I believe Ryan will get major minutes, if not he is being wasted as I think he is a very good big man. His usage is key in my opinion.
    I too do not see a great deal of change from this year's team. The team will be improved, but there will be no quantum leap in improvement (in other words, we will still be unable to match up with elites like Arizona). Even with the coming of KW and the hopeful recruitment of Sabonis, this team will be incomplete. Other than PK, we have no one who can be a consistent rebounder and true enforcer in the paint. I don't see KW filling that role (he's a scorer, not a rebounder/enforcer). This is where we so badly need help, but I don't see that help coming since we will be maxed out on scholies with Sabonis.

Quote Originally Posted by VaBeachZAG View Post
    I too do not see a great deal of change from this year's team. The team will be improved, but there will be no quantum leap in improvement (in other words, we will still be unable to match up with elites like Arizona). Even with the coming of KW and the hopeful recruitment of Sabonis, this team will be incomplete. Other than PK, we have no one who can be a consistent rebounder and true enforcer in the paint. I don't see KW filling that role (he's a scorer, not a rebounder/enforcer). This is where we so badly need help, but I don't see that help coming since we will be maxed out on scholies with Sabonis.
    KD ability to be a threat from the 3 land as well as his demonstrated ability to put the ball on the deck creates a dual threat addition to the team next year. This effect, opens up spot up shooting for Pango from the top of the key (sweet spot) as well as Bell or KW on the wings. His rebounding is off the charts for a guard and will be key to some fastbreak points

This means we will have 4 players on the court that can be consistent from the 3 land as well as putting the ball on the deck, being able to counter any type of defense that a team may want to attempt...if they collapse from weakside, someone open, if they faint the weakside collapse then the driving lane is open...

We also will see a better balanced fast break...many times this year we saw 1 on 3 with some zags trailing the ball...not particularly effective fast break, instead we will see a touch slower fast break but all lanes filled and with a big trailing who will be able to hit the three ball....a very dynamic option laiden fast break situation

KARNO will anchor the offensive block and take up valuable real-estate creating angles and lanes once again, with Edwards being a productive backup

Potential for 78-80 points per game

Defensively we will see Pangos back to his full strength, but more importantly we will see a dual combo defenders on the wing, being able to shut down different offensive options and the switching defense will be much better because of this.

Nunez and Coleman can really help big time if they spend sometime this summer working on couple items (nunez understanding offense and defensive sets, Coleman learning to slow it down just a touch)

Wouldnt surprise me to see Nunez and Coleman used next year against a zone running baseline and getting some lob passes as SHEM occupies the bigs in the middle........will be a nice addition to what we have seen from our zone offense

Silas and Perkins hopefully will get summer time with the team and start to get comfortable because everything I see they are going to be dynamic........

I cant count Sabonois yet as we have not signed him but the ever knowing Bobzag tells us to trust him........so if he is a zag....WOW

Pango will set the tone and SHEM NASTY will back him with the muscle

Is it November yet?
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

To me the game was lost on passing and the inability to shoot a 3 and put any outside scoring pressure on them. Next years team will be the same, basically, with KW being the big X factor.
    People keep calling us a good shooting team, but I disagree. Early on in the season our guards were scoring easily at the 3 and we were putting up big numbers, as the season wore on the 3's just went away and we had no shooting pressure on the apposing team. We resorted to pounding the ball inside most of the year and very much so the last half of the year. Shem was quite consistent and gave us that option, but he suffered foul issues that limited his usage. Sam would do disappearing acts as evident by the last two games. With these kind of issues our inside game was inconsistent and to make i worse the lack of outside shooting allowed teams to sag in a plug the paint. We would open up strong, but by second half the teams realized the outside was not a threat and would start collapsing inside and our offense ground to a halt.
    If we had an outside shooter that was consistent our whole offense would have been much better all year. KD doesn't shoot, but bombed them in from the bleachers in High school. GB would disappear most games and KP was hurt or could not shoot away from Spokane. A few games Stockton came up big in this area and we did great.
    We will repeat the same thing next year unless we find at least one shooter we can count on. I know this will not be received well, but one or several of our guards needs to set and we need new guys being out outside threat. I would even go as far as say set several of them and try the new guys early on, if they don't deliver then revert to what we had this year and hope for the best.
    Another possibility is go real big and play Shem, Ryan and KW at the same time with a zone defense. This is a bit radical, but I would rather shake things up than repeat what we know will happen. We can win the WCC with what we did this year, but once in the tournament we will have the same result and we will struggle to win the out of conference games.
    I hope this doesn't upset the forum, but its my honest opinion as how to make the team better. Its hard to set a veteran that has played his heart out for you.
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

Sam didn't play well in the NCAA Tourney, but he was huge for the Zags all during WCC play. I wish he would've ended his career playing better, but it shouldn't take away from a great Sr. season he had.