Thread: Which, if any, Zag must have career game ?

Default Which, if any, Zag must have career game ?

Does any one player have to have a career game in order for Zags to beat arizona?

Karnowski. Their defense is great but if Shem can dominate offensively inside one on one or even one on two, we have a very good chance of winning. And if he can protect the paint, it allows our guards to guard a little tighter and not have to provide so much help defense.

At least two of them.

Karno and Bell. Both.

Pangos.

Bell and Dower

Bell

And Pangos and Sam have to have the great games we would expect of them
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Sammy. And I think he will.

Pangos is going to go for 30+.

Honestly think that if PK and Dower dominate and get them in foul trouble the entire game, the roster switches will just keep them out of the flow that makes them so dangerous.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Karnowski isn't gonna dominate offensively v Tarczewski. Too big and quick. Same with Dower v Gordon. Both their guys are unusual in that they can guard the Zags' posts one on one. So Zona is gonna pressure the perimeter and try to take away the 3, so the key is gonna be Bell and Pangos taking it inside off the dribble. Stockton won't be able to do that very well in this game, so more Dranginis in this game doing the same. Those guys will have to do a great job finding shooters when the defense collapses on the drives.

IMO it's Bell and Pangos that will have to have big games for the Zags to win. Look at UA's last 2 losses. V UCLA, Powell, Adams, Anderson combined for 55 of their 75. V Oregon, Calliste and little Johnny Loyd combined for 34 of Oregon's 64 on 11 of 16 shooting and 6 of 8 3's. That's the kind of performance that needs to come from Bell and Pangos, but if Arizona keys heavily on them it could come from one of them and one of Barham, Dranginis, or Coleman, who could be a wild card in this game given how Arizona plays.

No individual. The TEAM needs a great game. They might beat us one on one, but I think our team can get it done.

I vote for Karno and Pangos because we must control the paint AND control the perimeter. But IMO, to put it simply, if no one has a bad game, we can also win. One thing about our team is that too often, someone goes cold or gets sloppy. But someone else plays exceptionally well and carries us or makes up for it. No one has been very consistent all year, so this is the time for us to gel perfectly and get all 5 guys in "the zone" at the same time.

As a team, we need a career game by everyone, meaning we need our top offensive output, combined with our best defensive effort AND our best FT shooting and fewest turnovers. If we can shoot 50% from the field and from 3, but also stay intense on defense, we will win. Or, I am not exactly proud of it, but I do hope that maybe Arizona just has a bad game and we win. I will take that too.

As important as someone having a career game is that no one has a bad game. We need a total team effort with very few mistakes.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Karno and Dower - both need to stay out of foul trouble and Sam needs to hit his shots, including ALL bunnies - Sam is the key, but Karno can't spend a lot of time on the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by zag67 View Post
    No individual. The TEAM needs a great game. They might beat us one on one, but I think our team can get it done.
    +1

Everybody needs to bring it.

Would like to see Stockton and Karno keep the momentum going forward.

If we play like we did in the first half of the WCC tournament against BYU, we will be in the sweet 16.

two cents

Shem; no dribbling in the paint; consider passing the entry pass right back and whomever gets it right back shoot the 3 without hesitation; or make a continuous move into your shot

Sam; take some 3’s again no hesitation

Kyle; no hesitation; anticipate the shot ; don’t pass up an open 3 for one of those runners; the runner is more difficult and worth 50 % less at least mix it up

Angel ; I hope you get double digit minutes

Everyone stay focused; defer all celebrations of gratitude until the game is won !

I am predicting Draginis drops in some more than the usual, Arizona does not have him in radar, maybe 4-6 from 3, gives us the extra lift we will need to pull out the Dubya
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Turnovers and Smirks did.