Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: OT: Coaching Carousel

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Thought he might be the heir apparent at Duke.
    Tommy, Baby Tommy as in Amaker. Harvard is fun, but he will move when Duke calls.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

There are nice fishing holes around Berkley, so they have some leverage, but it just wouldn't make sense for him to go there. I, myself, would be crushed if this happens.

EDIT: We go through this all the time, is there really a reason to worry about it this time? This is a serious question, not rhetorical.
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Kelvin Sampson to Houston, 5 year deal, unlimited minutes and unlimited texting part of the package.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Raise time for Coach Few! LOL He is pulling a Leon Rice.

It would be a strange time for Few to decide to leave the program when he's sitting on one of his best freshman classes of all time.

I never say never though.
    He's already had multiple chances to jump to the Pac 10/12 and probably better situations than Cal. And certainly much higher profile programs around the country have shown interest in the past. I used to get nervous any time Few's name was mentioned for a job opening, but at this point I would be fairly surprised if he left. As we just saw with Leon Rice, interviewing is not nearly the same thing as being out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    Kelvin Sampson to Houston, 5 year deal, unlimited minutes and unlimited texting part of the package.
    This could be interesting. The guy can coach and he can recruit. Just can't stay out of trouble. Houston used to be a great program. It's been a long time. The AAC isn't a great conference, but UConn is in the Final 4 this year. Cincinnati is solid. So is Memphis. SMU is in the NIT Final and has a stud PG coming in next year, definitely on the rise (just not sure that Larry Brown is gonna hang around for long). Losing Louisville to the ACC hurts. A LOT! Beyond those top several teams it drops off sharply and gets terrible at the bottom. Maybe Sampson can return Houston to past glory.

The parallels between Few and Petersen at Boise State are uncanny. If Few does leave for the PAC12, like Petersen, Tommy would most likely take over and re-energize the team and bring youthful exuberance just like Harsin has at Boise.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    The parallels between Few and Petersen at Boise State are uncanny. If Few does leave for the PAC12, like Petersen, Tommy would most likely take over and re-energize the team and bring youthful exuberance just like Harsin has at Boise.
    There is that. Sometimes a guy that's turned down numerous opportunities finally decides it's time to move on and try something new. I think it's a little different though because Peterson was getting tired of having such an uphill battle and such a teeny margin for error trying to get into BCS bowl games at BSU.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    There is that. Sometimes a guy that's turned down numerous opportunities finally decides it's time to move on and try something new. I think it's a little different though because Peterson was getting tired of having such an uphill battle and such a teeny margin for error trying to get into BCS bowl games at BSU.
    Yeah, I have to agree with this. In the Pac10/12 these days, there is much more room for error more certainly because the conference as a whole, while it has an auto bid, can spurn into a more reasonable environment. You could legitly have 4 or 5 losses and still be in line for a BCS bid going into the conference title game. OR you could be like UCLA and be 6-6 and be playing in the title game (albeit USC was ineligible that year, but these things happen)

Secondly, Mark Few controls his own destiny in the playing field of 68. Win the conference title (not extremely hard, but not easy either) or get your quality wins in early (like BYU) and most of the time you get an at large berth, and there are then 68 teams who just have to win to get the chance at the dance. The dance Is much easier to make in basketball, than football, so this comparison between Peterson and Few is not as good as Leon Rice and Few.

Whew. Enough Boise and Huskies talk for one day.
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

George is getting excited.

Given Few's "ethos", I'm thinkin' Cal would be one of the last places he would look at.
    But we don't play nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Given Few's "ethos", I'm thinkin' Cal would be one of the last places he would look at.
    What does that mean? Cal is a top 20 university. Mario Savio is long gone.

Good article about search for Cal coach from San Jose Mercury writer.

Good article about search for Cal coach from San Jose Mercury writer.
    Writer makes it sound pretty bleak. Isn't that why the AD and her bosses get the big money. It's Cal, for gosh sake.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    What does that mean? Cal is a top 20 university. Mario Savio is long gone.
    Perhaps because the People's Republic of Berkley is to the left of Havana, Cuba

What year is this? We should normalize relations with Cuba anyway. And the FSM as well.

Pretty accurate article about the strange positioning of Cal and its altletic teams. Cal can fairly be called either a "poor man's Stanford" or a "smart man's UCLA" but no matter who they hire as coach they won't get the super brainy BB jocks who go to Stanford or the super BB jocks with average sized brains who go to UCLA.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

I LOVED my time there.

There's a place for anyone there. Plus, I'd take the job for Bondie's pizza.

I'm not sure I'd leave GU if I were Few though, good reasons cited above. Plus, really, think about it. Is Mark Few the type of guy that is longing to raise his family in the East Bay, though there are a TON of nice areas, just doesn't seem his style. More worried about Oregon or Washington.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

IF Few has a plan on how long he wants to coach and if for argument's sake it is five years, and if a prospective suitor guarantees him a five year contract with double the income, most likely he would give it more than a cursory thought.

Just my opinion.

I believe Mark Few has at least 10 more years coaching in him if not more.

At what point does Tommy Lloyd say 15 years assistant I can't wait 10 more years to become head coach at Gonzaga.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased View Post
    IF Few has a plan on how long he wants to coach and if for argument's sake it is five years, and if a prospective suitor guarantees him a five year contract with double the income, most likely he would give it more than a cursory thought.

Just my opinion.
    Few already turned down Oregon when they fired Ernie. He could have written his own number there; Knight would have signed the check. The last 15 years say he won't leave for money. He has plenty. Thing to remember is that he's a preacher's kid. Most preachers earn far less that other people with advanced degrees and do it because it's a calling (my father was one); Few was raised in an environment where money isn't everything.

I believe Mark Few has at least 10 more years coaching in him if not more. At what point does Tommy Lloyd say 15 years assistant I can't wait 10 more years to become head coach at Gonzaga.
    Interesting question which I have wondered about myself from time to time, but there are all kinds of people with all kinds of priorities. Some of the young people I have worked with over the years appeared to spend 75% of every waking hour of every day planning on how to get their next promotion / raise, whereas others who were equally talented and productive seemed fairly content with where they were at the moment. If Few's top priority was to climb to a job at a basketball blueblood school I suspect he would have been gone a long time ago. If Coach Lloyd's top priority was to be a head coach and start his own climb to the top of the BB food chain, I suspect he too would have been gone a long time ago. They both seem a good fit in the GU program and university. I hope they can each achieve their personal goals and help grow the GU program at the same time.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    Pretty accurate article about the strange positioning of Cal and its altletic teams. Cal can fairly be called either a "poor man's Stanford" or a "smart man's UCLA" but no matter who they hire as coach they won't get the super brainy BB jocks who go to Stanford or the super BB jocks with average sized brains who go to UCLA.

Go Bulldogs!
    Only because grade inflation is more prevalent at Stanford. I've hired prospects from both schools and Cal Bezerkley is consistently better. Sorry, it was hard for me to come to this realization because I used to be a Cardinal homer.

Resurrecting Wake might require a miracle.

Those under 40 need not understand.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.