Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: OT: Coaching Carousel

Quote Originally Posted by HillBillyZag View Post
    Petino's latest acolyte lost little time in bailing on Manhattan for South Florida. What a crock.
    Not so fast! Discrepencies in his resume mean that USF won't be taking him and he might not even have a job at Manhattan after the investigation is done.

Quote Originally Posted by adoptedzag View Post
    Not so fast! Discrepencies in his resume mean that USF won't be taking him and he might not even have a job at Manhattan after the investigation is done.
    He lied about his graduation from Kentucky.
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Default Deal is off

http://msn.foxsports.com/college-bas...problem-032614

You would think coaches all learned their lesson about resumes after what happened to George Leary and Notre Dame in 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag 77 View Post
    http://msn.foxsports.com/college-bas...problem-032614

You would think coaches all learned their lesson about resumes after what happened to George Leary and Notre Dame in 2001.
    I have heard his job with Manhattan might be in complete jeopardy too.

12 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Oops.
    But we don't play nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I have heard his job with Manhattan might be in complete jeopardy too.
    I would expect that it would be. It will be interesting to see if he gets hired anywhere else or if his coaching career is finished.

Incredibly sad story. How you go from one week to the top of your profession to probably being out of it

He lied about his graduation from Kentucky.
    Kentucky graduates players?

Let's go Brandon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by UKWildcatsFan View Post
    I would expect that it would be. It will be interesting to see if he gets hired anywhere else or if his coaching career is finished.
    Am sure he'll coach again, as soon as he finishes his degree (not really sure how many D-1 schools don't require a degree).
    But we don't play nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Incredibly sad story. How you go from one week to the top of your profession to probably being out of it
    he was never at the top

he lied about a big and easily verifiable piece of his resume

the only sad parts are that USF spent the time and money to pursue him, and that his former players at manhattan will have to deal with a new coach - but they would have had to do that anyway.

The only manhatten attendees that I have interacted with are kind of underhanded (i.e. like to stir the p0t)-- don't know that this is any different.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Pitino will welcome back with open arms, and he'll probably make more as an assistant coach at Louisville as he did as a head coach at Manhattan. It would be the smart move, so that he could actually get the degree.

I like Jimmy Dykes as an announcer, but this is just nuts.
    http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...ns-head-coach/
    I have to question the AD on this hire. I have to question Dykes for taking the job as well.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I like Jimmy Dykes as an announcer, but this is just nuts.
    http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...ns-head-coach/
    I have to question the AD on this hire. I have to question Dykes for taking the job as well.
    Why do you question them?
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    Why do you question them?
    Dykes has never coached women at any level. His last coaching job of any kind was in the 90/91 season as an assistant at Ok St under Eddie Sutton. I know he could maybe get some terrific assistants that are familiar with the women's game, have good recruiting backgrounds, and have relationships with HS coaches, etc but put me solidly on the side of the doubters. Being an analyst is far different than being a head coach.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    A little vacation in Mexico, with a friend, with benefits.
    The "friend" was a boosters daughter who was attending the University. Even in Eugene there are some lines married men can't cross.

Whoever said it was the "single most verifiable thing on the resume" hit it dead on the money. I mean, as an adjunct one has to have certified copies of their degrees on file at the University, and it is not real cheap to get those certified copies. It's not like you expect the employer to go get them, you have to provide them.

I'm betting there was some technical thing with Kentucky or he missed one credit or two credits, like one has to apply to graduate and go through all that hassle everyone here knows about, I wonder if he thought he completed all (most) but had a few odds and ends he knew about but thought, "close enough for D1 athletes and coaches." ? Really dumb - he could have quietly told them and took a correspondence course or a 2 week seminar or something. IF he was honest, they'd likely try to help him.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Default Mike Montgomery ?

What if Monty retires? Cal has a good facility, alumni who remember their last NCAA championship, and covet another. I think it is a plum job, and I think Monty has enjoyed his tenure there, although he was unable to get the Bears to an elite level.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...barbour-monday

If you listen to the Andy Katz video, you will notice that he mentions Mark Few as a possible replacement. Nearest fly fishing is Putah Creek, big rainbows, tiny flies. The Upper Sacramento is four hours away, the Truckee River is about three. I don't see it. I wonder if they might consider Monson?

Quote Originally Posted by siliconzag View Post
    What if Monty retires? Cal has a good facility, alumni who remember their last NCAA championship, and covet another. I think it is a plum job, and I think Monty has enjoyed his tenure there, although he was unable to get the Bears to an elite level.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...barbour-monday

If you listen to the Andy Katz video, you will notice that he mentions Mark Few as a possible replacement. Nearest fly fishing is Putah Creek, big rainbows, tiny flies. The Upper Sacramento is four hours away, the Truckee River is about three. I don't see it. I wonder if they might consider Monson?

Quite a salesman, Sili. I like your style.

South Florida now hires Orlando Antigua

12 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

12 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

Interesting. I wonder if two years ago they would have considered Randy Bennett?

Anyone think they would now?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Interesting. I wonder if two years ago they would have considered Randy Bennett?

Anyone think they would now?
    If you wanna know the truth, that would make my day.

EDIT: I don't have any information towards whether or not they would have interest in Bennett

12 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

If you wanna know the truth, that would make my day.

EDIT: I don't have any information towards whether or not they would have interest in Bennett
    I wouldn't cry either. Though it's possible the conference would lose out. But, there's always movement, right? Maybe LMU are the next challengers?
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I wouldn't cry either. Though it's possible the conference would lose out. But, there's always movement, right? Maybe LMU are the next challengers?
    The conference would definitely lose out, but Randy is one coach I don't like, personally. LMU could be challengers in a few years, but I really like San Francisco, and Pepperdine's upside on their team. Of course you still have BYU and SMC (they will still be good teams, of course) but those two could really challenge very soon, IMO

12 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR