Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Coaching Carousel

Default OT: Coaching Carousel

Threads have already been started up about LMU's Good and Wazzu's Bone, but the coaching carousel is in full swing.

College Basketball Hirings and firings: 2014 college basketball coaching changes

2014 College Basketball Coaching Carousel Tracker

Biggest school thus far is Tony Barbee Auburn.

Pat Knight is also out at Lamar.

Zag Shop (Thrift Shop Parody)

Gonzaga sind die besten! Gehe Zags!

Quote Originally Posted by SWZag View Post
    Threads have already been started up about LMU's Good and Wazzu's Bone, but the coaching carousel is in full swing.

College Basketball Hirings and firings: 2014 college basketball coaching changes

2014 College Basketball Coaching Carousel Tracker

Biggest school thus far is Tony Barbee Auburn.

Pat Knight is also out at Lamar.
    Nepotism and having a famous daddy doesn't make you a good coach. Knight might have a hard time getting another job at the DI level.

Most of those jobs are not particularly desirable. I'm sure some bigger schools will be making coaching changes in the coming weeks. Auburn is kinda tough. You can definitely win there, they used to have a good program, but it's been a long time. Football school in a football conference and pretty hard to gain ground on Kentucky and Florida, let alone Tennessee, Mizzou, Arkansas, Georgia, etc. Wouldn't be surprised if Alabama is looking for a new coach soon as well, Anthony Grant has been a disappointment.

Looks like Auburn has hired Bruce Pearl. We'll probably see Auburn be competitive within the next few years.

Looks like Auburn has hired Bruce Pearl. We'll probably see Auburn be competitive and under sanctions within the next few years.
    Fixed it for accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Fixed it for accuracy.
    haha, truth in that.

Looks like Auburn has hired Bruce Pearl. We'll probably see Auburn be competitive within the next few years.
    A booster has already procured a member ship in this exclusive club for Bruce.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ta...9a968c!6m1!1e1
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Donahue didn't last long. One of the latest hot coaches that had a good run at a mid major, moved on to a BCS school and failed miserably. His successful run was a while ago, but I saw Stan Heath is out at South Florida after not getting it done at Arkansas either. The hottest name from last year's Tourney, Enfield from Florida-Gulf Coast, had a rough first season at USC. Too soon to write him off, but not a good start. Bit of a cautionary tale in there somewhere. There are a few success stories, but mostly it's desperate AD's trying to catch lightning in a bottle, doesn't work, fire the coach after 2 or 3 years and try it all over again. Coach Few probably doesn't have any regrets about staying put at Gonzaga.

Who will be this year's hot coaches that emerge during the Tourney? Do they stay put like Smart at VCU (and Stevens at Butler until the siren song of the NBA was too hard to resist)? Or go after the big payday and then go back to mid major if it doesn't work out? Oh, the drama of March Madness, it's not all on the court.

Rumor has it that Few is going to Eastern. Apparently he wants to find the next Rodney Stuckey.

There are hints on the Oregon Live (aka Oregonian) web site tonight that Ernie Kent may be interested in the WSU coaching job. I assume everything that is not confirmed is BS, but this is an even more bizarre rumor than usual.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

IIRC (& I may not) Moos hired Kent @ Oregon.
    But we don't play nobody.

Look for Kelvin Sampson to end up back at Wazzu with his son Kellen (currently at Appalachian State). The 5 year ban ended a couple of months ago and the Cougs would love to replicate the Bennett scenario.

Sampson would probably end the GU series again.

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    IIRC (& I may not) Moos hired Kent @ Oregon.
    Yes. And Moos was on Seattle radio today; talked about Ernie's ability to recruit despite the condition of Mac Court. Called it something along the lines of a dump or rat hole; forget the exact word he used. Said he'd talk to Ernie if Ernie expressed interest, and the same about Rice.

UNLV is looking at Max Good as a possible assistant coach.
    Let's go Brandon!!!

Kent would be a complete embarrasment for WSU.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Look for Kelvin Sampson to end up back at Wazzu with his son Kellen (currently at Appalachian State). The 5 year ban ended a couple of months ago and the Cougs would love to replicate the Bennett scenario.

Sampson would probably end the GU series again.
    Weirder things have happened, but I was under the impression that Kelvin was pretty happy in the NBA.
    Birddog

For what it's worth, a couple of college basketball analysts asked about the Sampsons scenario yesterday on Twitter said that Kelvin is in line for an NBA head coaching gig soon. If true, not sure he'd give that up, even to give his kid's career a boost.

Writers are focusing on Leon Rice as the main candidate. Apparently Moos talked him up a little in the news conference. I still think Rice is too smart to leave a good job in Boise for Pullman, but who knows. He is a Coug, he wants to go back to Alma Mater.

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    For what it's worth, a couple of college basketball analysts asked about the Sampsons scenario yesterday on Twitter said that Kelvin is in line for an NBA head coaching gig soon. If true, not sure he'd give that up, even to give his kid's career a boost.

Writers are focusing on Leon Rice as the main candidate. Apparently Moos talked him up a little in the news conference. I still think Rice is too smart to leave a good job in Boise for Pullman, but who knows. He is a Coug, he wants to go back to Alma Mater.
    I hope so!

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post

Can the Cougs please take Randy Bennett? Or wait now that we are kicking Bennett butt on a regular basis maybe we should hope he stays.
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world.
    Those who understand binary and those who do not.
    "Only a madman or an economist thinks exponential growth can go on forever in a finite world."

Func FOO

E .· ` ' / ·. F
    The FOO fuels me.

Quote Originally Posted by a13coach View Post
    Can the Cougs please take Randy Bennett? Or wait now that we are kicking Bennett butt on a regular basis maybe we should hope he stays.
    Its weird, Bennett really lost his team this year. Their effort and focus in some games down the stretch had me scratching my head.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...ess-conference

Wake Forest is looking for a new man. They haven't been able to stabilize that position since Prosser's passing.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...ess-conference

Wake Forest is looking for a new man. They haven't been able to stabilize that position since Prosser's passing.
    They shoulda stuck with Gaudio. He maybe wasn't a great coach but was a heck of a recruiter. Bzdelik was a disaster. I've seen a couple rumors they might go after Ben Howland. Tony Bennett and Ben Howland slugging it out w/ their slow tempo. defense oriented approach on the other side of the country, that would be kinda weird.

James Dickey is stepping down at Houston and reports are that Kelvin Sampson is set to replace him. Lke I said in another post, I'm shocked. He was in line to get an NBA job or so most of the pundits thought. I guess he has a new wireless contract.
    Birddog

Played golf in Palm Springs Sunday with a die hard Husky. He is very connected at UW and tells me Romar is in deep trouble.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Billy Donavan signed new extension 6 years at 3.7 million per year! WOW