Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Pomeroy on the Zags, WCC Tournament Odds

  1. #1

    Default Pomeroy on the Zags, WCC Tournament Odds

    I want us to be a pain beyond the round of 64, though.

    By the way, Gonzaga would appear to be somewhat underrated nationally. They have six losses, including four on the road, one semi-away, and one neutral. Sure, they don’t have a pile of quality wins, but among recent Bulldog teams, this one stacks up pretty well. They’ll be a pain for the team that draws them in the round of 64.
    http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/wcc_log51

    Gives the Zags a slightly less than 50% chance to win the tournament.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    1,125

    Default

    Our defense is entirely unrecognized outside of the WCC. I think we could really surprise this year, even as an 8/9. However, either an 11, 10, or 7 would be peachy.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,631

    Default

    We've had a weak schedule. No offense but I STILL think the media have hung their hats on the loss to Wichita. IN their minds, with the no 1 ranking and seed, we showed how "small" time they suspected we were/are. BUT if you lookat at what Wichita's done this year with basically the same players, our loss doesn't look as bad as advertised throughout the year. It's kinda like a rumor given a very bad face and continues to grow even though there's little basis for it. Knowing too that our 2 bigs vanished (with no replacements due to something not good), the media thinks we're worse than last year. So we entered the season with a residual yoke on the reputation of the team. The only way to dig out of the death sentence is to win. Let's hope we win the WCC (which I think we can) and go do some damage in the Big Dance. Although I think the media was full of "
    brown" last year with how we were treated after the Wichita loss, we've done little to correct their pre-conceived notions.

    So we're underdogs again. As the team has become more healthy, we might surprise. Moreso since Sam has become much better than at any time. To quiet the doubters, we must win some games. Winning has a way of making people forget. To be sure though, the downplaying of the Zags has a lot to do with how we finished last year. Play defense, rebound, and shoot like we can, we'll be fine....not Elite 8 fine but we'll regain some of our footing.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,498

    Default

    Spot on Abe!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pendleton Oregon
    Posts
    1,080

    Default

    I think the first couple of match ups will be very important. If we can play a team without a very athletic scoring center, then shem can surprise and dominate the middle. If we get a bit of luck in the shooting department, like the last game with SMC then we can play with almost any team in the tournament. Not sure they are FF capable, but sweet 16 is possible with a good draw. Would love to surprise a few analysts this year. Pangos and Shem will determine the path.
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    706

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by roxdoc View Post
    Spot on Abe!
    [/B]

    The pundits don't seem to give a break to the fact that WSU had Louisville on the ropes and hasn't lost since in evaluating the '13 Zags.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,258

    Default

    I'd much rather the Zags were an overachieving 10 than an underachieving 7. Give me a "10" .
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    3,434

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pleasant Peninsula View Post
    I want us to be a pain beyond the round of 64, though.



    http://kenpom.com/blog/index.php/weblog/entry/wcc_log51

    Gives the Zags a slightly less than 50% chance to win the tournament.
    +1 Hard to step down from #1 seed flameout to 'watch these rascals cause some trouble early on'. Although if the Gonzaga program is a thoroughbred, you don't want it out front leading the pack, you want them under the radar. The one year I felt like they had a good chance to sneak up ended up with the BYU buzzsaw game :-(. However, no team scares me and I would love if Gonzaga pulled the 8/9 with Wichita State and served up a nice slice of humble pie.
    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,867

    Default

    My biggest concern is if we have to play a team that has big, athletic guards. Those teams are hard for us to match up with as DS and KP don't have the size/quickness to cover these guys effectively often times. I don't worry about teams that have solid inside guys, I think we play them well.

    Quote Originally Posted by Baseline View Post
    I think the first couple of match ups will be very important. If we can play a team without a very athletic scoring center, then shem can surprise and dominate the middle. If we get a bit of luck in the shooting department, like the last game with SMC then we can play with almost any team in the tournament. Not sure they are FF capable, but sweet 16 is possible with a good draw. Would love to surprise a few analysts this year. Pangos and Shem will determine the path.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,303

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    We've had a weak schedule. No offense but I STILL think the media have hung their hats on the loss to Wichita. IN their minds, with the no 1 ranking and seed, we showed how "small" time they suspected we were/are. BUT if you lookat at what Wichita's done this year with basically the same players, our loss doesn't look as bad as advertised throughout the year. It's kinda like a rumor given a very bad face and continues to grow even though there's little basis for it. Knowing too that our 2 bigs vanished (with no replacements due to something not good), the media thinks we're worse than last year. So we entered the season with a residual yoke on the reputation of the team. The only way to dig out of the death sentence is to win. Let's hope we win the WCC (which I think we can) and go do some damage in the Big Dance. Although I think the media was full of "
    brown" last year with how we were treated after the Wichita loss, we've done little to correct their pre-conceived notions.

    So we're underdogs again. As the team has become more healthy, we might surprise. Moreso since Sam has become much better than at any time. To quiet the doubters, we must win some games. Winning has a way of making people forget. To be sure though, the downplaying of the Zags has a lot to do with how we finished last year. Play defense, rebound, and shoot like we can, we'll be fine....not Elite 8 fine but we'll regain some of our footing.
    Thanks Abe. Sounds about right. But I'm still pissed and have a chip on my shoulder. Hope you don't mind. Take it easy.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •