Thread: Interesting article by Withers on Zags' program, Few, WCC

Default Interesting article by Withers on Zags' program, Few, WCC

http://seattletimes.com/html/gonzaga...amen06xml.html

Withers sums it up, status of the Zags, WCC.

“There’s method to our madness,” Gonzaga athletic director Mike Roth said recently.

Enjoyed that Zagtana, Thanks!!!

Thanks Bud.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

When Gonzaga plays a weeknight basketball game at home, the Zags favor 6 p.m. starts, a simple standard but one that reflects several aspects of being a big-time basketball program.

Tipping at 6 gets them publicity on late-night ESPN highlights in the East. In medium-sized, Zag-centric Spokane, it’s a convenient enough start for people to leave jobs and get there on time, unlike many teeming West Coast cities where pro sports overwhelm the college scene.
    As a recent transplant to the East Coast, I can sincerely appreciate this effort.
    IF YOU WANT A THING DONE WELL, DO IT YOURSELF. -NAPOLEON BONAPARTE

Good article, but I don't think his statement that the WCC hasn't sent an at-large bid since 2002 is correct. Maybe "other than Gonzaga" should have been inserted and I am not sure if that even makes it correct. WCC has sent multiple teams (Samhan's crew) several times, how did they get in? We have only lost the tournament a couple of times.

Quote Originally Posted by HRZag View Post
    Good article, but I don't think his statement that the WCC hasn't sent an at-large bid since 2002 is correct. Maybe "other than Gonzaga" should have been inserted and I am not sure if that even makes it correct. WCC has sent multiple teams (Samhan's crew) several times, how did they get in? We have only lost the tournament a couple of times.
    There are people around Gonzaga who do eye-rolls at the fact that outside of GU, regular challenger Saint Mary’s and relative newcomer BYU, the rest of the WCC hasn’t upgraded enough to send an at-large team to the NCAA tournament since 2002.
    He was referring to the teams not mentioned.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag4Hire View Post
    As a recent transplant to the East Coast, I can sincerely appreciate this effort.
    As someone who has been an east coaster for all of my 24 post-GU years... I more than sincerely appreciate it... I bow in reverence to them.

Back when I first moved east... the best I could get was newspapers scores... and those were spotty because they had to go to press. The web helped some as I could at least get the scores... this was all prior to "the run". Then I progressed to the GU game tracker... and whatever was on ESPN post E8... From there it was the Fox College Sports networks. Those were the first real taste of more consistent GU hoops. Now with ESPN, TheW, and good old fashioned visits to favorite fishing holes... I rarely miss a game. All the efforts they make to accomodate us, well, OK... the east coast press... has made all the difference in the world. Almost no more 2AM finishes on ESPN.

Thank you Mr. Roth... you have NO idea how much it is appreciated by alumni out here.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

I don't like that word "bridge year" that has been thrown around. It's not fair to Sam or Drew. It's not fair to our upperclassmen guards Pangos, GBJ, and Draino. It's not fair to our now eligible Big East recruits.

My message to the players...take that bridge and show everybody where they can shove it.
    Think Big. No think Bigger than that!

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzagger View Post
    I don't like that word "bridge year" that has been thrown around. It's not fair to Sam or Drew. It's not fair to our upperclassmen guards Pangos, GBJ, and Draino. It's not fair to our now eligible Big East recruits.

My message to the players...take that bridge and show everybody where they can shove it.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzagger View Post

Preach it!
    Qualified for 22 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by HRZag View Post
    Uhhhhhhhh......That quote is difficult to understand....Most conferences don't have 3 teams competing in the at-large picture. Just because it's the same three teams every year doesn't mean the league is weak.

BYU won in Dayton in 2012. Plus they made multiple tourneys between 2003-2011 when they were part of the MWC.
    BYU is now part of the WCC...they routinely get bids to the tourney...but because they got most of them as a member of another conference, the WCC is weak? I don't get it.

Saint Mary's received at-large bids in 2005, 2008 and 2013 (last four bid, but they did win in Dayton).

I think Bud is the best non-Spokane writer going for GU basketball. He has no problem calling them out when he sees some hypocrisy or something else not quite right, but also does the real work to talk to people and dig out the more subtle things that make the program. It is far easier to see problems and shoot from the hip (we see that regularly in other places) but Bud always seems to find ways to report the subtle good stuff, too that we don't already know. . . like USF doesn't have a weight room (!) and USD bringing people that are blown away. (they don't have bad facilities (!).
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

"I think Bud is the best non-Spokane writer going for GU basketball". I agree with you DixieZag. I believe Withers asks the good, sometimes tough questions, and judging from the answers and quotes the Zag coaches, etc. give him, they must respect and trust Withers.