Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 66

Thread: GUBoards 2014 Yahoo BILLION DOLLAR Bracket Challenge!

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,215

    Default GUBoards 2014 Yahoo BILLION DOLLAR Bracket Challenge!

    March Madness is here! So for everyone at GUBoards that puts up with me, I am honored to put together this yearly bracket contest. And plus, Warren Buffett announced he is backing the prize for picking a perfect bracket, of 1 BILLION dollars.

    Yes folks, a perfect bracket can win 1 Billion Dollars

    The Catch: ONLY THE FIRST 15,000,000 ENTRANTS WHO COMPLETE THE REGISTRATION PROCESS (AS DETERMINED BY YAHOO) ARE ELIGIBLE FOR THE CHALLENGE. So as soon as you see this thread and want to try to pick a perfect bracket, register ASAP. (and I am not promoting or pushing anything quicken loans has to sell. Just sayin')

    https://tournament.fantasysports.yah...cket/challenge

    If you don't want to deal with the registration or the uncertainty of online registrations, then use this link:

    https://tournament.fantasysports.yah...ster/joingroup

    Otherwise, as usual, I also provide a GUboards contest grand prize to the best bracket in our group from my own personal Gonzaga collection, and I promise, you have a much better chance of winning that than the billion. But nonetheless, none of us win anything if we don't try. I posted the prizes in the photo at the end of this post.

    But I wanted to get this available to our board ASAP because only the 1st 15 million get the chance! If you register, it should prompt you to a page where you click on "Join a Private Pool". (6961, King David).

    So, if you are interested in joining the GUBoards private group, please use either link above and get the GUBoards name and password. You are not required to give any personal information to register in this private group, only to win the money. Normally I ask people to contact me privately but the time crunch (and my inability to keep my inbox empty) makes me need to post the group name and password, and let anyone who reads this board JOIN!

    Most importantly! You must have your brackets filled out before the first tip-off!

    Don't forget!

    Name: Gonzaga GUBoards (ID# 6961)
    Password: King David

    OZN would like to say "Thank You" to the Spokesman Review, to ALL the Moderators of GUBoards who volunteer their time, and to each and every member who post links, articles, stats and opinions on our beloved Gonzaga Bulldogs!

    And above all, GO ZAGS!!

    Prize. The person who has the best bracket will get autographs of three of my favorite All-time Zag guards. Matt Santangelo, Dan Dickau and Blake Stepp.

    Last edited by Oregonzagnut; 03-03-2014 at 11:56 PM. Reason: insert photo
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    1,029

    Default

    While I appreciate you setting this up OZN, there's lots more marketing BS this year including a SMS verification code that authorizes Yahoo to send me marketing text messages. No obvious way to opt out. Astronomical odds to win $1B not compelling enough to make me allow spam to my phone. Nice try Quicken Loans.

    They also require me to provide info about my mortgage too. No bueno. I think I'll skip the GU Boards bracket this year.

    EDIT: Looks like you can play but maybe not for $1B??? It took my registration and I didn't provide cell phone #, though it is asking for it in the banner ad for the $1B bracket challenge

    ZZ

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    While I appreciate you setting this up OZN, there's lots more marketing BS this year including a SMS verification code that authorizes Yahoo to send me marketing text messages. No obvious way to opt out. Astronomical odds to win $1B not compelling enough to make me allow spam to my phone. Nice try Quicken Loans.

    They also require me to provide info about my mortgage too. No bueno. I think I'll skip the GU Boards bracket this year.

    EDIT: Looks like you can play but maybe not for $1B??? It took my registration and I didn't provide cell phone #, though it is asking for it in the banner ad for the $1B bracket challenge

    ZZ
    ZZ. Can you show me or anyone where this is? No one else has confirmed this. I have not had a single solicitation or SPAM from this bracket contest ever. Nor has anyone else to my knowledge.

    you can also try this link:

    https://tournament.fantasysports.yah...ster/joingroup

    I clicked "no mortage" on everything. BUT if you notice the "opt out" link above, you can simply just join the group and not apply for the Billion. Its entirely up to you. I registered and I never entered my phone # so not sure how they would do SMS texting.
    Last edited by Oregonzagnut; 03-04-2014 at 07:32 AM.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    654

    Default

    I calculated the odds of getting this right today at work. It's something like 2.5e-20. It won't ever happen.

    It also won't happen to me considering I've never had a bracket where GU wasn't the national championship.

    However, I'd love to play with you guys.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MTZag03 View Post
    I calculated the odds of getting this right today at work. It's something like 2.5e-20. It won't ever happen.

    It also won't happen to me considering I've never had a bracket where GU wasn't the national championship.

    However, I'd love to play with you guys.
    This year you can have three brackets in the group. Did you calculate the odds that you get a perfect bracket AND Gonzaga wins it all? It is possible.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Montana
    Posts
    456

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
    ZZ. Can you show me or anyone where this is? No one else has confirmed this. I have not had a single solicitation or SPAM from this bracket contest ever. Nor has anyone else to my knowledge.

    you can also try this link:

    https://tournament.fantasysports.yah...ster/joingroup

    I clicked "no mortage" on everything. BUT if you notice the "opt out" link above, you can simply just join the group and not apply for the Billion. Its entirely up to you. I registered and I never entered my phone # so not sure how they would do SMS texting.
    I can't say whether they use that phone number for spam purposes, but a phone number is required to be eligible to win the billion. They have quite an official rule page (which is understandable, considering the prize). Don't think I'll put in for the billion either, but I'll throw in a GU Boards bracket.

    Also, OZN, in the bizarre chance that you actually win, submitting false information about your mortgage (assuming you have one), could be grounds for not giving you the grand prize because according to the rules, you warrant that everything you provide is accurate. Just a heads up...

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Seattle and Cape Horn - Hammersley Inlet
    Posts
    3,191

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MTZag03 View Post
    I calculated the odds of getting this right today at work. It's something like 2.5e-20. It won't ever happen.

    It also won't happen to me considering I've never had a bracket where GU wasn't the national championship.

    However, I'd love to play with you guys.
    In '99 I won our Company pool and "aced" the Western Region. It helped that I had an "idea" that the Zags were going to make a run. I figured I was a quarter/way through a "perfect" bracket. It obviously was meaningful to me as I'm still popping off about it 15 years later.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dnj116 View Post
    I can't say whether they use that phone number for spam purposes, but a phone number is required to be eligible to win the billion. They have quite an official rule page (which is understandable, considering the prize). Don't think I'll put in for the billion either, but I'll throw in a GU Boards bracket.

    Also, OZN, in the bizarre chance that you actually win, submitting false information about your mortgage (assuming you have one), could be grounds for not giving you the grand prize because according to the rules, you warrant that everything you provide is accurate. Just a heads up...
    No I do not have a mortgage, I inherited my grandparents home.

    dnj116, It says you must have a phone number, but did you actually get prompted to enter it in anywhere? I did not.

    It is possible, that I am not eligible or not even registered (but it says I am registered) since I opted out of everything they gave me, and since I did not give my phone number, when I clicked "submit", it just sent me to do my normal bracket. I do not blame anyone for not trusting anything online, but I do hope everyone will at least fill out a bracket for some GUBoards bragging rights.

    Every year I have done this, they have given away big money. Last year it was 100 million for a perfect bracket but there was not this type of specific eligibility. But then again it is 10x the 100mil of last year.

    whatever anyone decides this is all in fun and each year I think everyone is happy for participating.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    4,709

    Default

    Must have a phone # to win the billion, but anyone can play without any of that.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,836

    Default

    Heck, if I won the billion I could forever justify to my wife (Is Gonezaga basketball on again?) my hogging of the DVR capacity....and the cash wouldn't hurt either. Heck, I'd settle for the 100G's.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jim77 View Post
    Heck, if I won the billion I could forever justify to my wife (Is Gonezaga basketball on again?) my hogging of the DVR capacity....and the cash wouldn't hurt either. Heck, I'd settle for the 100G's.
    Here is the GUBoards bracket group only. No billion dollar registration necessary to join us.

    https://tournament.fantasysports.yah...ster/joingroup

    Name, Gonzaga GUBoards, ID 6961,
    pswd King David.

    As a favor, if you join this pool, could you bump this thread or post that you have joined so that other people can see the group name and password. I am not having people PM me for the password this year so I cannot
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    3,142

    Default

    The GU Board Bracket is always fun... Im in!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Napa, CA
    Posts
    4,709

    Default

    I'm somewhat confused - is the password "King David" or "KingDavid"? I'm not getting it to work, and having passwords with spaces is generally not good.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    476

    Default

    I heard that they were paying $100k each to the top 20 entries which, if true, is worth the shot.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    476

    Default

    Twenty (20) First Prize Winners: Twenty (20) first prizes will be awarded to the twenty (20) eligible Entrants who scored the most total Points in the Challenge based upon the Scoring System (the "First Prize Winners"). All eligible Entries, other than a Grand Prize Winner, submitted during the Entry Window are eligible to win a First Prize.

    First Prize: The twenty (20) First Prize Winners will each receive one hundred thousand dollars ($100,000) ("First Prize"). The First Prize will be delivered to the First Prize Winners in the form of a check.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    I'm somewhat confused - is the password "King David" or "KingDavid"? I'm not getting it to work, and having passwords with spaces is generally not good.
    Password is: King David. sorry for any problem with the Password. Sometimes trying to be creative causes problems. however, I believe we can kill giants this year.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Has anyone had any problems with registering? Also as many of you have noted, that the top 20 brackets win 100K for a new home or home improvement.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    I'm going to bump this occasionally to give everyone a chance to sign up.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Bump.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Bourbon, Missouri
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
    Has anyone had any problems with registering? Also as many of you have noted, that the top 20 brackets win 100K for a new home or home improvement.
    I had no problems registering at all OZN.

    But I could really use a home improvement. I need an electric furnace. That'll cost a pretty penny.

    GO ZAGS !
    Round of 32 6 straight years, 16 straight Big Dances. Welcoming Perkins, Melson, Alberts, Wiltjer, Sabonis and Byron Wesley to Spokane!

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gonzagafan62 View Post
    I had no problems registering at all OZN.

    But I could really use a home improvement. I need an electric furnace. That'll cost a pretty penny.

    GO ZAGS !
    If anyone has family or friends who are Zag fans tell them they can join too. Go ahead and give the name and password to any Zag fan!
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Bump. I'd like to have as many people see this as possible.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The right side of the dirt.
    Posts
    36,518

    Default

    Thanx for setting it up


    Elite 8 or bust

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Oregon
    Posts
    4,215

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Thanx for setting it up
    You are very welcome!

    I want to remind everyone to fill out your brackets before the first tip off.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,049

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
    You are very welcome!

    I want to remind everyone to fill out your brackets before the first tip off.
    Does it lock before the play-in games or on Thursday morning?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •