Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WCC All-Conference

Quote Originally Posted by zagdad View Post
    Last year we were 30 wins, but we lost Kelly, Elias, and Mike Hart. This year we are 25 and 6. That is a record to be really proud of!! This years team is talented, competitive, works hard, and is great and sharing the ball and having team work. Going into the WCC tournament, I would say that being 25 and 6 is a great record.
    I see nothing wrong with these selections. Actually, considering Pangos's health issue I am pleasantly surprised he made it. Bell was inconsistent. Regardless of Rex's behavior. SF had a great season.

Without knowing the specifics of what actually happened with Doolin, how can you argue with Rex as coach of the year (at least of being a viable choice)? Best year in years for USF. Big improvement over last year with some adversity. I don't like the guy, but he's at least as good of a choice as Few based on the actual results on the floor.

Hondo. I didn't say it was going to work...just agreed they are trying to tilt at windmills.

With Perkins and Wiltjer playing next year, I'd like to think it's fairly unlikely no Zag makes the all newcomer team. Senior year for Pangos if he stays healthy makes a run at POY?

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaZaggin' View Post
    Karnowski > Waldow. And it's not really close.
    Agreed.

Quote Originally Posted by Unbiased View Post
    I see nothing wrong with these selections. Actually, considering Pangos's health issue I am pleasantly surprised he made it. Bell was inconsistent. Regardless of Rex's behavior. SF had a great season.
    Y'all may not agree with "Unbiased" but I do. SD didn't show up at all WCC games and Bell had a so-so season IMO. His defense was steady but inconsistent on offense.

I felt Haws or Collingsworth would be POW...Haws scored consistently except against us but Collingsworth was a fiend on the boards. We didn't have consistency from KP or SD this season; however, when SD did show up, he was pretty unstoppable.

On the bright side, we can still win 30 games again this season AND I also believe we should have a decent chance of making the S16...our depth will be a real positive issue with which our opponents will have to contend...IMO
    The virtue I desire most is Humility and just when I think it's achieved, I have lost it.

GU won the conference on good defense and key to that was Shem controlling the paint and allowing the defense to extend out.

In my opinion it should not have been close for defensive player of the year. Shem totally dominated Waldo this year, no way Waldo should be on the list and not Shem.

Greer or Ravinoe should have been coach of the year.

I see some real motivating forces gathering for Vagas.
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

Quote Originally Posted by Baseline View Post
    GU won the conference on good defense and key to that was Shem controlling the paint and allowing the defense to extend out.

In my opinion it should not have been close for defensive player of the year. Shem totally dominated Waldo this year, no way Waldo should be on the list and not Shem.

Greer or Ravinoe should have been coach of the year.

I see some real motivating forces gathering for Vagas.
    +10K on Karno. He was limited on stats, but really started to own the paint in the last half of he season. 50/50 on the point about Greer or Reveno (spelling?). I do think Rexy did a great job getting his players to play the game well. I also think he did a marginal job at being a human being. He definitely out coached and out d&$*%#d both. As always, I want all of the WCC except for BYU (excluding non-conference for RPI purposes) to do well. I also don't want them to become dirty or weird or otherwise sullied in the process. Unfortunately SFU has a little tarnish on an otherwise quite commendable year.

Also, I went to Vagas once. I found it a little unsettling.

While we can have differences of opinion, some of this sounds like sour apples. I think we're fortunate to have two players on this list and lets face, Pangos hasn't exactly been at top form during the league. An argument can be made for Karno for Defensive player of the year but Haws is a run-a-way for POY. The coaches must have voting criteria that mandates they leave certain items from consideration - while on paper Rex did a great job this year (USF had a great year), it really sends a bad message after the fighting scandal.

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaZaggin' View Post
    Karnowski > Waldow. And it's not really close.
    Agreed.

Go Zags!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zagdad View Post
    Last year we were 30 wins, but we lost Kelly, Elias, and Mike Hart. This year we are 25 and 6. That is a record to be really proud of!! This years team is talented, competitive, works hard, and is great and sharing the ball and having team work. Going into the WCC tournament, I would say that being 25 and 6 is a great record.
    Especially after all they went through, losing Gary and Sam for stretches and Kevin with the Toe

Quote Originally Posted by GU69 View Post
    BYU looks the best: 2 All Conference, 1 Honorable Mention, plus POY and an All Conference Freshman.
    After that they seem pretty bunched up:
    GU: 2 All Conference, 1 Honorable Mention.
    SMC: 2 All Conference.
    USF: 1 All Conference, 2 Honorable Mention, plus coach of the year.
    Thanks for the layout GU 69. When laid out this way an outside observer would think BYU would have won the conference, San Francisco 2nd, and us 3rd, it seems.

Hey Zags, How can the Tyrannosaurus win coach of the year? I thought there was more to collegiate sports than wins and losses. Is my head that far in the sand? Shame on the gutless WCC.

I have absolutely no problem with Haws being POY.

Walters as COY... Don't see it. Regardless of the Doolin incident... they had a couple really really really bad losses early in the season.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

The coy is a joke. It is as if the WCC is putting their stamp of approval on a coach advocating fighting between players at practice, and running players and assistants out of town. Given that the story got media coverage, if walters isn't disciplined severely or fired, it will be a disgrace. But then, that is a common issue in sports, results trumping methods.

I think it would be interesting if people with a journalistic bent, say slipper still fits, would reach out to the WCC commissioner for comment on this nomination in light of the recent article on USF. I spent a few seconds and found Twitter @WCC_Commish
    Here is his email: jzaninovich@westcoast.org

All four individual awards - along with the All-West Coast Conference Team and the All-Freshman Team - were voted on by the league's 10 head coaches.
    Just in case anyone missed it in their hysteria, the coaches voted for the awards.

I believe that coaches are prohibited from voting for anyone on their team. The results are the coach's concensus. I also seem to remember that the votes are supposed to be based on conference play, not OOC play. I don't really think there is any cabal, cartel or conspiracy at work here. There is a report that Rex was seen tweeting from a grassy knoll though.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    they had a couple really really really bad losses early in the season.
    You do know that all of these awards are for conference play only, right?

If we'd play D like BYU, we'd have a couple players score 20+ a night. I would have given POY to Dower and Defensive POY to Karno. The rest I'm cool with.
    Last edited by cjm720; 03-04-2014 at 10:47 AM.
    Go Zags!!!

The Zags ended the WCC regular season as the 23rd ranked team in the nation in defensive efficiency:

http://kenpom.com/index.php?y=2014

Every other WCC team is ranked 104 or lower.

A huge part of reason is the presence of Karnowski in the middle.

Quote Originally Posted by bettingman View Post
    You do know that all of these awards are for conference play only, right?
    I don't really care... IMHO when it comes to COY... it should be the body of work. Also, regardless... if it is for conference play... then perhaps he should have won more games instead of guiding them to 5 conference losses. They were expected to be good. Does he get rewarded for over achieving after shooting himself in the foot?

Funny... he'd have a legit claim and a shot at first place if he hadn't run Cody off.

I think Wilson was far more deserving. Waves were expected to completely stink... he worked miracles.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by jaydee77 View Post
    Rex has 21 transfers, numerous assistant coach change outs, sponsors a bare knuckle brawl between team mates and is named coach of the year. Somewhere the ex Rutgers coach is cheering.
    Bingo -- perhaps it's a plot to make his resume look better so he can get a better job elsewhere? Rex is not long for USF, IMHO.

See you in Vegas ? Let's tilt one pregame in our own social - send me a text and I'll give you room number
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

SMC was literally trying to avoid having Waldo out on the floor while Karno was in the game because he is such a force on the defensive end.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagMania View Post
    SMC was literally trying to avoid having Waldo out on the floor while Karno was in the game because he is such a force on the defensive end.
    Yep, Karno was THE Alpha Dog in that matchup.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Only issue I have with the list is Karno getting snubbed for DPOY. Ask Waldow...a first team all league selection who the best defensive player in the league was? Waldow destroyed the WCC...except for GU.

Shem was robbed...the rest made sense to me. Hawes is a stud.