Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Banners Don't Hoist Themselves (long)

I agree with much of this post. I was at GU from 1991-1995. When I started I thought that little blond guy we had at point guard was sort of amusing. When I graduated we had just advanced to the NCAA for the first time, having dispatched Stanford the year before in the NIT.

Given how far we've come in 20 years, I tend to wonder how far we can go in 20 more. For some reason I keep hearing that Carpenters song in the back of my head: "we've only just begun,". . .

I became a GU fan my second year at Eastern..the year we made the Elite Eight...I grew up in the LC valley and went to Eastern to play football, until that season I seriously had no idea of Gonzaga. I spent a good portion of my childhood in Nebraska so when I found GU I immediately gravitated to fandom because I have always wanted to have a college basketball team that I could root for that was a consistent winner (Nebraska/nebraskaball just couldn't do it). So obviously since I joined GU at the start of the run Iam spoiled in regards to expectations. I am a diehard Husker football fan and I have to say my passion for GU basketball closely rivals that. Great history lesson on GU and much like my Husker football I knew we would eventually hit a lull in consistency...as with the Huskers I #####ed and moaned about what should be done to turn it around but my fandom never wavered...the same approach is with the Zags
    I would never be a sellout............unless of course I got a boat load of money to do it

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    I agree with much of this post. I was at GU from 1991-1995. When I started I thought that little blond guy we had at point guard was sort of amusing. When I graduated we had just advanced to the NCAA for the first time, having dispatched Stanford the year before in the NIT.

Given how far we've come in 20 years, I tend to wonder how far we can go in 20 more. For some reason I keep hearing that Carpenters song in the back of my head: "we've only just begun,". . .
    I went to school with Jack Stockton....John's father....David's grandfather..... I was out of Gonzaga for more than 30 years 20 years ago... we couldn't spell NCAA.....

I keep hearing " I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas "........I used to carve " Bing " in the desks I used.

Great Post… Makes you realize how spoiled we are. It was thirty years ago that friends and I used to play pickup basketball at GU - often getting into games with John Stockton and other GU players during the summer months. During basketball season, it was common for us to show up to a game 10 minutes late and be able to sit three rows up from the floor and watch the only nationally relevant game of the season when DePaul would visit...

Great post McZag - 20 years ago was 23 years after my senior year, and I can remember a lot of lean years. In the last 20 years Gonzaga has accomplished more that I ever thought possible. At one time my greatest wish was for the Zags to win a league championship and to play a game in the NCAA's, now I dare to dream the possibility of an NCAA championship.
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

The men and women hoisted a pair of banners in Vegas.

These are good times to be a Zag fan.
    "The Foo is the most extraordinary collection of talent, of human knowledge, that has ever been gathered together on one message board with the possible exception of when Thomas Jefferson blogged alone." JFK -4.29.62-