• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DZ
    Zag for Life
    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
    22 to 26 years ago, I was at Gonzaga and I competed for GU in a different sport. There was a rumor floating around that Fitz and the Athletic department were having to justify there status as a NCAA Div 1 participant and that they used my teams success in the WCAC (subsequently the WCC) as justification that we could be competitive. I think that rumor was true because it was in these years that the basketball team went one season with 8 wins and 20 losses.

I sure was stoked when GU basketball started to win, especially since one of my best friends from childhood was part of those teams in the early 90's that started to turn the corner and make Gonzaga relevant in the conference.
    Ah, I was there at exactly the same time. There was also a rumor that the five red-shirts were regularly kicking the varsity around the gym, actually not even close. It gave some hope. By 1992 I believe - they won 20 games for the first time in forever.

Yes, I wrote that Few was having an off year. One component of that - that isn't discussed but is implicit - is that one has to have a lot of damn good years to consider this an "off" one. It's just one opinion - but, based solely on the amazing accomplishments in the last 20 years.

Let's win tomorrow. Regardless, we're spoiled.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Comment

• former1dog
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
      Ah, I was there at exactly the same time. There was also a rumor that the five red-shirts were regularly kicking the varsity around the gym, actually not even close. It gave some hope. By 1992 I believe - they won 20 games for the first time in forever.
      I think you're right. As I recall it was a pretty big deal to win 20 games. Still is, IMHO.

Comment

• Zags11
        Banned
        • Mar 2008

20+ wins are a great thing. Usually means march also.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by primal23 View Post
          Scary thought, 20 years ago, I was nearing the point where I would be starting at GU.
          Even scarier, I was nearing the point of my 20th reunion.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2011

Much of the worry in me is that Gonzaga will actually be an at large team. RPI, Sagarin, KenPom all imply a top 35 team. But like there now are so many rooting against us, I think that sentiment is prevalent and dominant on the East Coast, the power conference admins, the media and even selection committee. I think now Gonzaga is a threat to the idea that in DivI there is the top third Div-IA and a Div-IB and maybe even a Div IC. The power six will dominate the money, and therefore the media and sooner or later Gonzaga will lose its streak based on the idea that a mid-major can't possibly that good for that long.

If we lose 2 more, the masses will punish us.
            “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• zag69
              Kennel Club Material
              • Feb 2007

Thanks for the history lesson, McZ. As you can guess from my SN, I am from the Billy Suter/Gary Leachman/Big Sky Conference era.

Comment

• 94zagoldwomanasherdsmen
                Horseback Zag
                • Feb 2007

Mr. McZag...apparently you an I graduated together...I share many of the same memories....hmmm...PM me and I'll be we know each other.
                How to ride a horse:
                Step One - Mount the horse.
                Step Two - Stay mounted ...

Comment

• GoZags
                  Super Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

QFT re: the attitude of the CA schools (and WCC) vis a vis Gonzaga. Particularly Santa Clara.

Nicely done on your post. Agree with everything you said.
                  sigpic
                  “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                  ——-
                  List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                  Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• seacatfan
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2014

Good post, good perspective. I'm a fan that has probably gotten spoiled, good reminder of where GU has come from and just what they have accomplished.

Comment

• Zag 77
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Brilliantly stated

I agree 100% McZag.

Comment

• 229SintoZag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

I agree with much of this post. I was at GU from 1991-1995. When I started I thought that little blond guy we had at point guard was sort of amusing. When I graduated we had just advanced to the NCAA for the first time, having dispatched Stanford the year before in the NIT.

Given how far we've come in 20 years, I tend to wonder how far we can go in 20 more. For some reason I keep hearing that Carpenters song in the back of my head: "we've only just begun,". . .

Comment

• Zagsker
                          Zag for Life
                          • Dec 2008

I became a GU fan my second year at Eastern..the year we made the Elite Eight...I grew up in the LC valley and went to Eastern to play football, until that season I seriously had no idea of Gonzaga. I spent a good portion of my childhood in Nebraska so when I found GU I immediately gravitated to fandom because I have always wanted to have a college basketball team that I could root for that was a consistent winner (Nebraska/nebraskaball just couldn't do it). So obviously since I joined GU at the start of the run Iam spoiled in regards to expectations. I am a diehard Husker football fan and I have to say my passion for GU basketball closely rivals that. Great history lesson on GU and much like my Husker football I knew we would eventually hit a lull in consistency...as with the Huskers I #####ed and moaned about what should be done to turn it around but my fandom never wavered...the same approach is with the Zags
                          I am working on being a more all around square.

Comment

• bartruff1
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2010

Originally posted by 229SintoZag View Post
                            I agree with much of this post. I was at GU from 1991-1995. When I started I thought that little blond guy we had at point guard was sort of amusing. When I graduated we had just advanced to the NCAA for the first time, having dispatched Stanford the year before in the NIT.

Given how far we've come in 20 years, I tend to wonder how far we can go in 20 more. For some reason I keep hearing that Carpenters song in the back of my head: "we've only just begun,". . .
                            I went to school with Jack Stockton....John's father....David's grandfather..... I was out of Gonzaga for more than 30 years 20 years ago... we couldn't spell NCAA.....

I keep hearing " I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas "........I used to carve " Bing " in the desks I used.

Comment

• CdAZagFan
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2013

Great Post… Makes you realize how spoiled we are. It was thirty years ago that friends and I used to play pickup basketball at GU - often getting into games with John Stockton and other GU players during the summer months. During basketball season, it was common for us to show up to a game 10 minutes late and be able to sit three rows up from the floor and watch the only nationally relevant game of the season when DePaul would visit...

Comment

• Bocco
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2007

Great post McZag - 20 years ago was 23 years after my senior year, and I can remember a lot of lean years. In the last 20 years Gonzaga has accomplished more that I ever thought possible. At one time my greatest wish was for the Zags to win a league championship and to play a game in the NCAA's, now I dare to dream the possibility of an NCAA championship.
                                The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Comment

Working...
                                X