Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs St Mary's...predictions and game thread

Default Gonzaga vs St Mary's...predictions and game thread

Gonzaga 75
    St. Mary's 63

Wow! It's the last game of the conference season. It sure went fast now that it's over. And we get to end it with our favorite foe. I like it. Randy Bennett will be with the team this time; so it will be a lot more fun. As you can see from my prediction, I believe the Zags are going to play really good tonight. I'm thinking we'll see one of their better games in awhile. Maybe alot of fans think they'll let up because they've already won the conference, but it's not going to happen, imo. The team is going to be on fire tonight, playing with the true heart of a Zag. I'm really looking forward to seeing it. Beating St Mary's really makes me feel good. It's the kind of medicine I need right now.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I agree Reborn. I know our Zags wanna punch our ticket to the big dance and we can with a win Saturday. Lets get 'er done.

Gonzaga 77
    SMC 68
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Zags 81
    gaels 74

bell with 17
    Love the zags for life

My St. Mary's Prediction Story:

For the first time this season, the Zags face a St. Mary's team led by Randy Bennett. Bennett, fresh off a five game suspension for violations of NCAA rules prohibiting food, clothing, and shelter, is ready to try and take down the Zags.

Waldow wins the tip and plays well for most of the first half.

Brad Waldow, who people think is wearing a "vampire teeth" mouth guard, is really the victim of an unusual regrowth of teeth after having them knocked out last year in a game versus San Diego, although Brad is really worried that something is happening to him akin to the "Teen Wolf" movie.

Concerned that he will start sprouting hair in unusual places (similar to when he was a teenager), Brad takes off for the locker room. Later, when Randy Bennett notices he is missing, he says "Where's Waldow?" This of course starts the St. Mary's players looking around the arena person by person to see if they can spot Waldo.

Taking advantage of this distraction, the Zags go on their run, highlighted by David Stockton's behind the back, through one leg, and over the shoulder assist to Sam Dower, who after being caught unawares and beaned in the chest with the ball, regroups, grabs it, and slams it down for a dunk.

Once it occurs to the other Zags that David was actually a quarterback for his football team in high school, they begin to understand his passes and start running post routes and corner routes for "completions" that lead to easy buckets, and the Zags take a commanding lead.

The St. Mary's players, finally realizing that the Zags are playing a quasi-football game to cheers from the audience, get in the spirit and decide to kick a field goal, resulting in an embarrassing crowd silence and a technical foul.

The Gael's mascot, ....well...I'm not sure what that thing is..., tries to get the crowd back into the game to no avail, and the Zags win a decisive victory.

Zags. 85

Gaels. 68

P.S. At the end of the game is a special ceremony honoring St. Mary's past player Matthew Dellavedova. The Zags fans (which are the majority of the audience as usual), suffering from an inner turmoil of both liking Dellavedova for his basketball skills, and yet hating him at the same time because he played for St. Mary's, kind of try to clap with one hand. This silent one-handed applause has the appearance of a type of "Wave" throughout the arena and becomes known as "the Clap". It is enthusiastically adopted by fad-loving college basketball fans everywhere; and it will be forever known in the annals of college basketball history that it was the Gaels who gave everyone "the Clap".

I am thinking we continue to stay focused and move towards the tournament (which I think we are in regardless if we win again). I say Gonzaga 72-61..

Well written. I applaud you.
    Clap-Clap.
    Go Gaels.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevada Don View Post
    Clap-Clap.
    Go Gaels.
    Now was that "the clap" or your version of clapping? LOL! Go Zags!
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by wnczagfan View Post
    P.S. At the end of the game is a special ceremony honoring St. Mary's past player Matthew Dellavedova. The Zags fans (which are the majority of the audience as usual), suffering from an inner turmoil of both liking Dellavedova for his basketball skills, and yet hating him at the same time because he played for St. Mary's, kind of try to clap with one hand. This silent one-handed applause has the appearance of a type of "Wave" throughout the arena and becomes known as "the Clap". It is enthusiastically adopted by fad-loving college basketball fans everywhere; and it will be forever known in the annals of college basketball history that it was the Gaels who gave everyone "the Clap".
    LOL

here's a perspective on the importance of tomorrow's game. Meehan posted it in his article.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...s-shaky-finish

big game tomorrow. Go Zags!

We are in, whether we win another game or not. Does affect seeding but I think we are 10 seed at the low end and 7 seed on the high end. I don't think these games are going to matter greatly in the grand scheme although wins heading into the tournament are good for the state of the team. I would be surprised if we won more than a game this year so really not to worried about seeding that much.

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    here's a perspective on the importance of tomorrow's game. Meehan posted it in his article.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebaske...s-shaky-finish

big game tomorrow. Go Zags!
    I agree with the height and tension this game will bring. I think a win tomorrow makes it to where you absolutely HAVE to put Gonzaga in the tournament. A loss and its very dicey, especially if we lose in the first round of the conference tournament. Hopefully we wrap up our spot tomorrow.
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

Cool The Way it Oughts Be: Zags Champs Again

Champs vs. Chumps, a poem
    <ahem>
    There once was a team of chumps,
    Whose talent dropped off to the dumps.
    The host team got clobbered,
    Till they babbled and slobbered.
    At the Zags dealing out bruises and lumps.

---
    League of their Own - 88
    Owned - 63

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

I believe it will be much closer than double digit points - not based upon how we are playing, though that is still, well. It is b/c this is SMC senior night, the last home game and they will be wanting to bring it. They want to bring it for the GU game every year, but I think this'll be even more intense than usual.

But, they're a little undermanned this year.

GU 69
    SMC 66

Ugly game - fouls everywhere. Sam carries us.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

GU 74
    SMC 68

Everyone that has done well against GU has done it when our bigs had problems. It will be interesting what Randy does in light of what BYU did to get an edge on fouls. I bet Few has a strategy if Waldow sits to start. The game will be greatly decided if the re-emergent Pangos driving and shooting threes remains intact on the road.
    SMC has trouble stopping drives I hope Coleman gets an early run to see what he can do and what foul pressure it might create.
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

Clap-Clap.
    Go Gaels.
    Hey Don, good to see you back. Wish we could get a prediction out of you. We expect a little homerism - - let me guess SMC 74
    GU 71 ?????? Could happen

Regardless, come by during the tourney and drop some knowledge on us - we may not like SMC but there're a lot of good SMC posters here.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

[QUOTE=DixieZag;992099]Hey Don, good to see you back. Wish we could get a prediction out of you.

Thanks for the shout out DixieZag. I am here, reading, lurking, stalking. That doesn't sound too good does it?

This has been such a weird season. As far as tomorrow, the Gaels could definately surprise. Maybe that's the difference this year. If SMC wins, it would be a surprise. In the past few years, the Gaels felt like they deserved to win and expected to win. Anyway, I'll take the Gaels at home. We'll see which team hits their 3's.

As far as the Dance goes, I am hoping that GU does well. I think there is some merit in the thought that, this year, GU has something to prove, in the underdog role. They haven't really been in that role lately, a role in which they excelled and defined the term, Cinderella.

I believe it does matter. If the Zags can beat St. Mary's two more times, and secure a victory over BYU in the conference championship, then maybe we will get the 7 seed.

If we win out. 28-6, will get us 5 or 6 seed. High 5 or high 6.
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    If we win out. 28-6, will get us 5 or 6 seed. High 5 or high 6.
    I don't think so, you may be right, it's impossible to tell ahead of time, but I think seven is the highest, pink cloud dream would could imagine.
    Mark Twain.

I just want out of the 8/9 seed prediction. Is it that bad if we play ourselves into a 10-12 seed?

Zags 73
    Gaels 66

Just win baby!

Zags 74 SMC 72 Go Zags!

Clap-Clap.
    Go Gaels.
    God is Zag.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Champs vs. Chumps, a poem
    <ahem>
    There once was a team of chumps,
    Whose talent dropped off to the dumps.
    The host team got clobbered,
    Till they babbled and slobbered.
    At the Zags dealing out bruises and lumps.

---
    League of their Own - 88
    Owned - 63

:]
    Nice, Kiddwell!

I always have trouble with the last line. See if you can finish these:

There once was a team from Gon-Zaw-ga,
    Who played a game in Moraga.
    They beat them up bad,
    Causing Gael tears so sad,
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. (saga rhymes - I got nothing).

or

There once was a team from Spokane,
    Thought to be a flash in the pan.
    They were oft disrespected,
    But won games unexpected,
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX. (got nothing)

It's game day, and I'm getting excited. I'm kind of angry this morning. I'm sick and tired of reading all this "crap" about our Zags. How many teams in D-1 are not having a tough time winning on the road? St Louis just lost to Dequesne. Does anyone say anything about that? St Louis has not beaten anyone all year long that would indicate to me they're better then Gonzaga. And they're ranked 10th in the polls. They're resume looks pretty much like Gonzaga's. However, the lost to Wichita St at home. Let's look at UMASS. They have a loss at home to George Mason who is 3rd from the bottom in their conference. They lost at St Bonny's which is about like us losing at San Diego or Portland. They lost at Richmond (the same about like Portland) and finally they lost to St Joe's on the road. Equal to GU's lost to BYU. They don't play either VCU nor St Louis on the road. I could go on and on and on. I'm using just one conference to show you how the other teams are doing, which IMO is almost worst then GU. UMASS has an rpi of like 12. Crazy. So you see i'm sick of all this ANTI Gonzaga talk. What Gonzaga needs to do is just go out there and beat St Mary's real good. I know our boys will be ready for this game tonight. It's the last game of the season, and if GU wins, imo, St Mary's chances of making it to the NCAA tournament is 0%. And there's nothing we Zag fans would love more then to see St Mary's sit at home this year.

To me there doesn't seem to be much excitement for this game tonight. At least not here on GUBoards. It's the way it is this year, even by our fans here. Gonzaga vs St Mary's IS ALWAYS a huge game, and this one tonight is too.

I'm looking forward to see a game that will be even better then the one Thursday night at Pacific. It's going to be even tougher. St Mary's has already lost two games at home this year, and Gonzaga is going to go in there and win another one. Gonzaga can win on the road. They beat San Francisco on the road and they are tied for second with BYU. And San Francisco is a tougher place for the Zags to win then Moraga. And San Francisco is better than St Mary's this year. So we'll see who wins tonight. Ken Pomeroy gives us a 49% of winning. Good. We're underdogs. And I hope we are underdogs the rest of the year. If Kevin's toe is getting better, then we are ready for the fight.

Go Zags!!!