Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is Ehlo when you need him?

Default Where is Ehlo when you need him?

"My hair would really stink if I wore a hat like that"!
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Yes we missed the opportunity to have him explain how all hair is amphibious and then break down how Coach Krause has charted the Zag hair through the years and the relation of hair smell to hats.

Really the only thing missing from that Hump Heister stepping all over Senior Night was Ehlo and his WSU honed linguistic skills. I would have given anything to see the looks on Fox and Dickau's faces when Heister said that.

Also can't differentiate between a "number 1 pick" and a first round pick.

"Tear that NBA up!!! We don't want anything short of that."

Horace Grant!?
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagsker View Post
    Horace Grant!?
    This one was a head shaker. Heister was in rare form tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Pargo the Destroyer View Post
    This one was a head shaker. Heister was in rare form tonight.
    The 5 seconds of dead silence after that was hilarious. Dickau and Fox didn't have a clue how to respond.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkZagRises View Post
    Also can't differentiate between a "number 1 pick" and a first round pick.

"Tear that NBA up!!! We don't want anything short of that."
    I think he needs to try to drink a little less before the games?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

And then Heister was complimenting his stats guy. This after they put up an inaccurate list of the steals leaders, leaving Raivio off the list. I would be EMBARRASSED to be called a stats guy if I put up that list.

Quote Originally Posted by NumberCruncher View Post
    And then Heister was complimenting his stats guy. This after they put up an inaccurate list of the steals leaders, leaving Raivio off the list. I would be EMBARRASSED to be called a stats guy if I put up that list.
    Including spelling Blake Stepp's last name "Steep"

My only conclusion to Heister remaining a part of the Zags Basketball broadcasts, is he must have some blackmail material on someone who makes the decisions. At least twice every broadcast, I am yelling at him to shut up for some inane comment or completely missing a play by play call. Tonight it was when he went on and on about the LMU players head that must have been hit because it went sideways. Come on, the replay clearly showed that Nunez blocked the shot without coming close to his head. When Fox said as much, he still tried to defend his statement. He often assumes who the foul was on, though clearly evident it was on someone else. Then he will comment on how the that person has more fouls than the official game stats have on the scoreboard. Let Dickau and Fox call the games and see how much better it would be. Rant Over.

I feel bad for Heister to an extent...dude just gets slammed for his broadcasting, he tries but it just doesn't work, he has got a good "voice" but the words come out poorly
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Quote Originally Posted by SageOfZagville View Post
    My only conclusion to Heister remaining a part of the Zags Basketball broadcasts, is he must have some blackmail material on someone who makes the decisions. At least twice every broadcast, I am yelling at him to shut up for some inane comment or completely missing a play by play call. Tonight it was when he went on and on about the LMU players head that must have been hit because it went sideways. Come on, the replay clearly showed that Nunez blocked the shot without coming close to his head. When Fox said as much, he still tried to defend his statement. He often assumes who the foul was on, though clearly evident it was on someone else. Then he will comment on how the that person has more fouls than the official game stats have on the scoreboard. Let Dickau and Fox call
    the games and see how much better it would be. Rant Over.
    He's fishing buddies with Few.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Thanks for the chuckles, lads !

reading this thread is like listening to statler and waldorf, the two muppet "critics" sitting in the private box of some theatre passing judgment on the action below.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    Thanks for the chuckles, lads !

reading this thread is like listening to statler and waldorf, the two muppet "critics" sitting in the bandbox of some theatre passing judgment on the action below.
    Ehlo is a very nice person and this needs to end now. Not sure why this thread is still open.

This thread wouldn't be complete without a mention of how memorable Susan Butcher's first Iditarod was. Such meaningful analogies to basketball speak for themselves.

Now that I think about it, there could be a connection between Heister's history of covering the Iditarod and his concern about stinky hair. Probably not a lot of showering along the trail.

Met greg personally. Hung with him and his wife for a night about 12 years ago. Solid guy. Loyal I can tell you that. Im sure you are all perfect at your work. Smile alot, say please and thank you. All 6'2 215lbs of muscle and iq of 200. Smh. He isnt the best but its tiresome.
    Love the zags for life

Default Wow, I'm not sure what Ehlo did.........

Does that mean I can talk about Shawn Kemp again?
    I guess you are talking about this, http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/C...om-jail-080213
    Glad to see Ehlo is free game, Shawn Kemp is next. ( or we could close this. )

Horace Grant!?
    That one got a chuckle out of me.

Rabble rabble
    Rabble you.

Horace Grant!?
    In the context of the conversation, I thought that one was facetious and pretty funny.

The hair-stink comment is on my all-time crazy comments list, though ;]

Did anyone catch Heister's comment about Stockton taking a charge early in the second half? Right when the clock stops at the 16:19 mark: 'You know he felt that sh$t'.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Ehlo is a very nice person and this needs to end now. Not sure why this thread is still open.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    Met greg personally. Hung with him and his wife for a night about 12 years ago. Solid guy. Loyal I can tell you that. Im sure you are all perfect at your work. Smile alot, say please and thank you. All 6'2 215lbs of muscle and iq of 200. Smh. He isnt the best but its tiresome.
    No one is knocking the guy for his enthusiasm or loyalty. I'm sure I'd have a good time knocking back a few beers with him but he is a professional broadcaster and as such ought to be a little better than the rest of us at calling a game. he did a solid job with Fox on the Portland game the other night and I said as much. Saturday it seemed like much of the broadcast was listening to three guys have a conversation while a BB game took place in the background. The inane hat comment was a new best for the WTF category.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

+1

No one is knocking the guy for his enthusiasm or loyalty. I'm sure I'd have a good time knocking back a few beers with him but he is a professional broadcaster and as such ought to be a little better than the rest of us at calling a game. he did a solid job with Fox on the Portland game the other night and I said as much. Saturday it seemed like much of the broadcast was listening to three guys have a conversation while a BB game took place in the background. The inane hat comment was a new best for the WTF category.
    I've met these fellows in all kinds of settings. Banquets, mostly, or when they are talking at a sports group gathering.

Last time I saw GH was at a rosauer's. They are all nice guys. Not sure how that ties into this discussion.

It Doesn't in any way mean squat when their sports image essentially boils down to disrespecting their viewers. Biggest faux pas seems to be lack of genuine preparation. Which seems like winging it vs. having something intelligent, relevant or pertinent to say in relevant situations. that would reveal some thought went into the words spokesn. Over and over.

Not a lot of history presented. Spontaneous gaffes seem borne of some unexplained need to keep talking vs. having something to say.

That, in turn, leads to threads like this one.

those who think good guy = leave him alone are missing the point of the criticisms. Kind of like the guys themselves miss the point of their jobs, imo.

that said, it's literally impossible to not laugh out loud over what sometimes come streaming out of GH and Ehlo in their day.

If GU ever gets around to assessing the content of these presentations and presenters, I predict they will make some changes. I think the school is missing a lot of opportunities to highlight the rich history of the program and the school, fwiw.

Basically, they are still delegating this part of the business to others and that's why the sharper, knowledgable, viewers can only protest by pointing out the laughers when they occur. And that's why I laugh when I see what has been said by the usual suspects, good guys or not. fwiw.
    Last edited by gamagin; 02-17-2014 at 10:16 AM.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Default Nice isn't the issue

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    +1

I've met these fellows in all kinds of settings. Banquets, mostly, or when they are talking at a sports group gatherings.

Last time I saw GH was at a rosauer's. They are all nice guys. Not sure how that ties into this discussion.

It Doesn't in any way mean squat when their sports image essentially boils down to disrespecting their viewers. Biggest faux pas seems to be lack of genuine preparation. Which seems like winging it vs. having something intelligent, relevant or pertinent to say in relevant situations. that would reveal some thought went into the words spokesn. Over and over.

Not a lot of history presented. Spontaneous gaffes seem borne of some unexplained need to keep talking vs. having something to say.

That, in turn, leads to threads like this one.

those who think good guy = leave him alone are missing the point of the criticisms. Kind of like the guys themselves miss the point of their jobs, imo.

that said, it's literally impossible to not laugh out loud over what sometimes come streaming out of GH and Ehlo in their day.

If GU ever gets around to assessing the content of these presentations and presenters, I predict they will make some changes. I think the school is missing a lot of opportunities to highlight the rich history of the program and the school, fwiw.

Basically, they are still delegating this part of the business to others and that's why the sharper, knowledgable, viewers can only protest by pointing out the laughers when they occur. And that's why I laugh when I see what has been said but the usual suspects, good guys or not. fwiw.
    I would hope all GU broadcasters, fans, and players are nice. But there's more to the job than that and GH definitely comes across as amateurish way too often. He should, at the very least, stiffle his desire to banter with jocks as if he's former player, to make lame attempts at humor by mocking others (the hat/hair commment, for example), and be a chatty-Cathy substituting quantity for quality. Just do the play-by-play and ask relevant questions. TV announcers should back off the pedal because viewers can see the action (unlike radio). Let Fox, Dickau, and other color guys handle the commentary.