Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 64

Thread: So that happened. (UP Post Game thoughts)

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,349

    Default So that happened. (UP Post Game thoughts)

    I have no idea.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    6,850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I have no idea.
    Agreed. Nothing else I can add.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,349

    Default

    yup.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,857

    Default

    On its face, it's inexplicable. Zags were 15 point favorites and we blew a 20+ point lead in head-scratching fashion. But basketball is (to a great deal) about matchups, and for some reason this Portland team appears to have our number. Clearly it's not because our team didn't have a fire under their butts. They knew the outcome of the last time they played.

    Can't come up with a definitive explanation other than that, except

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,243

    Default

    Heister and Fox did a great job calling the game.
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Heister and Fox did a great job calling the game.


    And that girl hit the half time shot. . . so there's that.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Western North Carolina
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Concerned we might not have that big of a cushion to blow against Memphis. This is the second game in as many weeks, if I remember correctly, that we have worked up a big lead and then squandered it inexplicably away. We are going to need to be "on" the whole game if we want to get the W Saturday.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    North Side
    Posts
    5,714

    Default

    I dont have much to add. Except we wiiiiiin.
    Love the zags for life

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Western North Carolina
    Posts
    488

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    I dont have much to add. Except we wiiiiiin.

    Haha. Yeah, when you look back on it later, all the W's are W's.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Hill, Spokane
    Posts
    20,314

    Default

    21-3
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,515

    Default

    Whatever that was, you can view it again on ROOT @ 1 am. Be wary though, you might have a red face like I do

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    4 miles from MAC
    Posts
    3,994

    Default

    According to Brian Michaelson what happened was the Zags came out in the second half with no defensive intensity. He also gave Portland a ton of credit noting the Kennel is not an easy place to come back from such a big deficit. The interesting thing was Portland made their run with a couple starters on the bench. I think Hudson said it one point in the second half Stockton was 2-3 from three (Michaelson said Stocks has been shooting really well in practice and it was no surprise to him Stocks ended 3-4 from three) and the rest of the starters who were on the floor with him were 4-18 total from the floor. GU shot 70% in the first half or near that and they were like 7-10 from three. In the second half the Piolts were 6-8 from three and the Zags were 2-9. Much as the Zags were hot from three in the first half, Violette and Hudson noted once Portland drained a couple three the rest of the team caught fire as it were. Still as Michaelson noted the team is 21-3 and that has not happened many times for GU. He said maybe last year and a couple times in the past decade. The Zags are sitting at 11-1 WCC with a current three and half game lead. Two things that really caught my attention at the game is the Zags did a pretty nice job rebounding early in the game but that faded as the Pilots winning the rebound war and the eight offensive boards they had were way too many. The other thing I noted late in the game Pangos had 5, Dower 4 and Bell 2. I can't guess that last time that happened. Anyway a win is a win and Michaelson noted the Zags are now on the way to Memphis to face a very athletic at every position team, something they just don't see much of in the WCC. Here is a post game quote from Stockton: "We came out super hard in the first half," Stockton said. "In the second half I think we were dead for 15 minutes. Then we played super hard again for 5 minutes and got the win."

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    9,475

    Default

    +1

    Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    According to Brian Michaelson what happened was the Zags came out in the second half with no defensive intensity. He also gave Portland a ton of credit noting the Kennel is not an easy place to come back from such a big deficit. The interesting thing was Portland made their run with a couple starters on the bench. I think Hudson said it one point in the second half Stockton was 2-3 from three (Michaelson said Stocks has been shooting really well in practice and it was no surprise to him Stocks ended 3-4 from three) and the rest of the starters who were on the floor with him were 4-18 total from the floor. GU shot 70% in the first half or near that and they were like 7-10 from three. In the second half the Piolts were 6-8 from three and the Zags were 2-9. Much as the Zags were hot from three in the first half, Violette and Hudson noted once Portland drained a couple three the rest of the team caught fire as it were. Still as Michaelson noted the team is 21-3 and that has not happened many times for GU. He said maybe last year and a couple times in the past decade. The Zags are sitting at 11-1 WCC with a current three and half game lead. Two things that really caught my attention at the game is the Zags did a pretty nice job rebounding early in the game but that faded as the Pilots winning the rebound war and the eight offensive boards they had were way too many. The other thing I noted late in the game Pangos had 5, Dower 4 and Bell 2. I can't guess that last time that happened. Anyway a win is a win and Michaelson noted the Zags are now on the way to Memphis to face a very athletic at every position team, something they just don't see much of in the WCC. Here is a post game quote from Stockton: "We came out super hard in the first half," Stockton said. "In the second half I think we were dead for 15 minutes. Then we played super hard again for 5 minutes and got the win."
    this. Pilots really went for and got the boards underneath at both ends the last 15 minutes (double & triple teamed shem/SD), hit several treys and just crept back into the game while everyone dozed. good write up scoop. thanks.

    couple other thoughts:

    • I think KP had 5 points and GBj had two with around 10-12 minutes left in the game. thankfully, KP made his f.t.'s (6-7 I think). but we're going to need more points in Memphis

    • KP seemed strong all night with the toe. Played excellent and very aggressive defense every minute. Did not seem to limp or favor it in my viewing, and I was looking and checking often.
    Go TEAM Zags !

    "John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

  14. #14
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    San Diego, Ca.
    Posts
    7,635

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    21-3
    Soon to be.... 29-5, 30-4 or 31-3. Which one do you pick?

    I say 29-5

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,349

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Soon to be.... 29-5, 30-4 or 31-3. Which one do you pick?

    I say 29-5
    I would take that right now and run until I fell over - - about a hundred and twenty yards.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    13,277

    Default

    Not enough Dranginis for me in the 2nd half. The best defender on the team along with GBJ. The team's defense elevates to a whole new level when those two are on the floor. Might've put Portland's 2nd half comeback to a halt.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Zag Country
    Posts
    3,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Soon to be.... 29-5, 30-4 or 31-3. Which one do you pick?

    I say 29-5
    31-3

    I'm a fan, not an analyst or a critic.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Henderson NV
    Posts
    236

    Default

    Agree 100% with gonwick, it's as if he doesn't even watch the 1st half! Like this game, our same starting 5 seem to start off slow almost every game, then few went to Nunez and barham, and bam! We go on a run. Then instead of going for the throat, he takes them all out and puts back the same starting 5, and the lead goes from 20 down to 12. Start 2nd half, same thing happens. Where's Nunez, where's Barham, Kyle??? Portland goes on a run, brings them back in, we go up again, THEN, everyone who played great off the bench, ROTS there for the rest of the game!! We got VERY lucky to win this game. I always thought u STAY with the guys who got u the lead, and keep them in there until they either fall down from being tired or it starts to slip, NOT off a pre made script, because of minutes or whatever. The guys on the bench looked disgusted that they were still on there instead of in the game. Nunez has one of his best games and he is sitting there during a Portland run, watching the "starters" not get it done.
    ZAG 4 LIFE

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,349

    Default

    Im guessing the idea was to light a fire and test the starters under adversity. Im no head coach, BUT I dont think we would have had the adversity to be tested under if someone had have left well enough alone.

    we won... i guess.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,349

    Default

    When we were struggling to score - we had a guy in Nunez who could get to the hoop, and if fouled, he hits at almost as good a rate as Kevin.

    There really is no reason he shouldn't be playing more. I do not see a lot of value in a 3 guard line up when we have Nunez, Dranginis, Barham, Coleman all on the bench.

    But, we've been over this.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,482

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Not enough Dranginis for me in the 2nd half. The best defender on the team along with GBJ. The team's defense elevates to a whole new level when those two are on the floor. Might've put Portland's 2nd half comeback to a halt.
    I agree. We are flat out better when KD is on the floor.

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    696

    Default agree 100%

    Quote Originally Posted by ezcure17 View Post
    Agree 100% with gonwick, it's as if he doesn't even watch the 1st half! Like this game, our same starting 5 seem to start off slow almost every game, then few went to Nunez and barham, and bam! We go on a run. Then instead of going for the throat, he takes them all out and puts back the same starting 5, and the lead goes from 20 down to 12. Start 2nd half, same thing happens. Where's Nunez, where's Barham, Kyle??? Portland goes on a run, brings them back in, we go up again, THEN, everyone who played great off the bench, ROTS there for the rest of the game!! We got VERY lucky to win this game. I always thought u STAY with the guys who got u the lead, and keep them in there until they either fall down from being tired or it starts to slip, NOT off a pre made script, because of minutes or whatever. The guys on the bench looked disgusted that they were still on there instead of in the game. Nunez has one of his best games and he is sitting there during a Portland run, watching the "starters" not get it done.
    agree with your post

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Idaho
    Posts
    850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    +1



    this. Pilots really went for and got the boards underneath at both ends the last 15 minutes (double & triple teamed shem/SD), hit several treys and just crept back into the game while everyone dozed. good write up scoop. thanks.

    couple other thoughts:

    • I think KP had 5 points and GBj had two with around 10-12 minutes left in the game. thankfully, KP made his f.t.'s (6-7 I think). but we're going to need more points in Memphis

    • KP seemed strong all night with the toe. Played excellent and very aggressive defense every minute. Did not seem to limp or favor it in my viewing, and I was looking and checking often.
    No disrespect gamagin, but no matter how many times you watch Kevin's foot and try to figure out what, if anything, is up- you can't know what he is feeling. Every week from Few to Meehan to Violette, etc., I hear (and Zippyzag(sp) talked to him about it himself) he's in much pain and it is constantly being upgraded then downgraded from stage 1, then back to severe sprain. As CDC mentioned, re-watch him play in our early season tourneyment until he finally got hurt. Offensively he is not able to drive by people and pick up the easy fouls like he did earlier. I don't think a healthy Kevin would settle for set shots, he didn't early on this year. That was one big area he had impoved this year (noted often early on) was his ability to drive and dish, or drive and draw fouls almost at will. I agree with CDC, he's about 60% of his healthy self.
    That doesn't mean he's not doing all he can to play through this and will the team to a win in clutch moments, or on defense. His late 3 (right before his clutch free throws) helped seal the deal. And most obvious was his outstanding Defense-as you pointed out. While I didn't play Div. 1 Ball, it was much easier for me to shut people down on defense than play fluent offense all the time when hurt (often played w/a sprained ankle- much less pain I would guess than turf toe). And unlike Kevin, I'm not as tough as him.... Just my humble opinion...
    "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
    -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Idaho
    Posts
    850

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john montana View Post
    I agree. We are flat out better when KD is on the floor.
    Totally AGree!!!
    "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
    -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    4,857

    Default GU Player Advanced stats vs. Portland

    On Court
    Off Court
    Player MIN RR +/- + - +/- + -
    K. Pangos 36 7 6 65 -59 -1 6 -7
    G. Bell 33 1 3 58 -55 2 13 -11
    D. Stockton 29 -5 0 50 -50 5 21 -16
    P. Karnowski 31 3 4 52 -48 1 19 -18
    S. Dower 21 3 4 41 -37 1 30 -29
    G. Coleman 9 -11 -3 13 -16 8 58 -50
    A. Nunez 12 -5 0 20 -20 5 51 -46
    K. Dranginis 13 9 7 29 -22 -2 42 -44
    D. Barham 15 3 4 27 -23 1 44 -43

    + = Team points scored while on court
    - = Opponent points allowed while on court
    +/- = Team points scored minus Opp points allowed
    Off Court = Team points scored/allowed while off court
    RR (Roland Rating) = On Court +/- minus Off Court +/-

    The team was most productive with Dranginis (+9) and Pangos (+7). Interestingly, the team continues to fare less well against the opponent when Coleman (-11) and Nunez (-5) are involved. Despite Stockton's big offensive contributions tonight, he had a -5 RR since the Zags netted +5 points when he was off the court, and zero when he was on the court.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •