Thread: Gonzaga's passing is a thing of beauty.

Default Gonzaga's passing is a thing of beauty.

If you know me, one thing you know is that I like to compare basketball to a boxing match. A good team needs to be tough, and Gonzaga showed that Saturday night. Watching the guys go after those loose balls was so beautiful (I know alot of women may not be able to appreciate the beauty in that). There was one pile up on the floor where I think our whole team was on the floor, and Pangos was last one on the pile. I had to laugh and cheer when I saw him run over to the pile and dive into it. It reminded me of being a little kid, and how we saw that as so much fun.

The other thing that I love about basketball, and also find as a thing of beauty, is passing the basketball. This Gonzaga team can really pass the ball, and if you have the eyes to see, you'll know what I mean. Gonzaga has four guards who pass the basketball with the precision of a surgeon: David, Kevin, Gary and Kyle. The game Saturday was a classic example, and is a piece of art. I have the game on video and have already watched it over a few times, and it's just beautiful to watch the passing. The Zags had 7 turnovers I think, and the last came with under a minute left in the game when Gary didn't get the ball over the ten second line in time.

I mentioned in a pregame post how I wished the Zags could get their turnovers down to under ten a game. And of course someone had to criticize this kind of thinking and called it one more example of my crazy thinking. I am glad to see that they played a game Saturday with the kind of passing that I know they can execute. These guys, for the most part are very experienced guards now, and they do know what to do with a basketball. They had 21 assists on Saturday. And it was no coincidence that our shooting percentage was a little over 57% for the game, which was probably our best of the year.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Thumbs down Too much credit

You are giving the Zags too much credit. Watch that game video again, you will see BYU doesn't play defense. In fact, they are one of the worst teams on points against. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbeard View Post
    You are giving the Zags too much credit. Watch that game video again, you will see BYU doesn't play defense. In fact, they are one of the worst teams on points against. Cheers.
    Which is why DeCourcy said basically the same thing... tell you what... I'm going to go out on a limb ans say that DeCourcy knows a smidge more about hoops than you.

The Zags still are 8-1 in the WCC and 18-3 overall. They've played terrific basketball, including their evisceration of BYU's wobbly defense in the second half of an 84-69 victory late Saturday. Their ball movement, which resulted in a 68 percent assist rate, was a work of art.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

It certainly seemed like they had more zip on every pass, even if it was just swinging it around the perimeter. More decisive and better cutting as well. It led to everything looking more sharp and crisp than it has in a few weeks, and while I guess you could attribute some of that to less pressure from the BYU defense, it looked to me like the coaching staff had spent a considerable amount of time on getting them to refocus on tightening up the offensive fundamentals.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Which is why DeCourcy said basically the same thing... tell you what... I'm going to go out on a limb ans say that DeCourcy knows a smidge more about hoops than you.
    Here is the quote from Mike DeCourcy's (reporter for The Sporting News), "Their ball movement, which resulted in a 68 percent assist rate, was a work of art." I'm glad that I'm not the only one who saw it as art.

For me... it was the quick rotation around the outside that led to easy feeds in to Sam or the half penetration kickouts to KP that stood out. What that game showed was that you really really don't want to play a ton of straight zone coverage on the Zags. I was surprised that Rose didn't switch to M2M. Their zone was getting eaten alive.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

Never heard of this reporter you worship. When the Zags have 21 assists and are shooting 57% against Memphis, I will stand corrected. My point is that you guys are giving too much credit to the Zags in unique scenarios such as playing cupcake teams like BYU who doesn't play defense.

Never heard of this reporter you worship. When the Zags have 21 assists and are shooting 57% against Memphis, I will stand corrected. My point is that you guys are giving too much credit to the Zags in unique scenarios such as playing cupcake teams like BYU who doesn't play defense.
    Nothing like the perspective of the well read and well informed contingent.

BYU defensive efficiency is #140 -- Memphis is #33 and Gonzaga is #71-- so the point that I am hearing is you would like to see Gonzaga handle Memphis the way it handled BYU--

I agree it would be nice.

Just a little FYI -- Arkansas has a defensive efficiency ranked #22 ------ they held us to 54.5% shooting and only 19 assists-- so they did better than BYU.

Hopefully the Zags can bring it against Memphis.

http://www.teamrankings.com/ncaa-bas...ive-efficiency

Never heard of DeCoursy at the Sporting News? You need to get out more. Worship? Strange choice of words. You might show a bit more discretion in the future...

and GET OFF MY LAWN, YOU WHIPPERSNAPPER!!!

BYU a cupcake?

18 posts...a rising star, no doubt.

I agree 100%there is nothing better than a beautiful pass. Loved to watch UCLA when coach Wooden was there.They all bought in to TEAM ball .What fun,and we are coming around.The second half I am really looking forward for some fun.

So sorry to hear about Gonzaga's passing. Glad to hear that it was a thing of beauty, though. When's the funeral?
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Dude... you need to get out a little more DeCourcy has been around for over a decade. Never said I worship him... but his job is to watch college hoops. I'd suspect he knows what he is doing.

Not to mention he is thought highly of by his peers.

Yeah dude you need to get out of your house more and read the Sporting News! Wait. What?

Quote Originally Posted by B Wayne View Post
    Yeah dude you need to get out of your house more and read the Sporting News! Wait. What?
    First off Sporting News has been around for 122 years... but lets not let facts get in the way. BTW that would be longer than most sports publications in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post

I mentioned in a pregame post how I wished the Zags could get their turnovers down to under ten a game. And of course someone had to criticize this kind of thinking and called it one more example of my crazy thinking.
    Wow. That was me, of course, but I said nothing at all close to how you are characterizing it. I simply pointed out that only 11 teams average less than 10, and 3 less than 9 (most of those play slow, i.e leader Wiscy, as well), and that I thought 11.1 was pretty good for the way this team plays.

I don't appreciate being accused of saying things I didn't say, or come REMOTELY close to saying.

Ironically, I was defending the idea in your post, that the Zags are a great passing team. It just gets me a bit when a team or player is doing something well and people aren't satisfied, but I responded in a civil and factual manner. Please go find the original thread and reread it and you'll see that's true.

It's also true that BYU seems uninterested in playing defense, and the 21/7 partly reflects that imo.

First off Sporting News has been around for 122 years... but lets not let facts get in the way. BTW that would be longer than most sports publications in the country.
    I subscribed to the Sporting News when I was a ten year old kid and thought it was the best publication then. I haven't read it in quite some time but now you have my curiosity. I'll give it a glance.

Things that make you go "Hmmm". Just browsed Sporting News. Maybe I should switch from ESPN to Sporting News as my "go to" sports web page. Thanks for bringing me back to my roots!

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Wow. That was me, of course, but I said nothing at all close to how you are characterizing it. I simply pointed out that only 11 teams average less than 10, and 3 less than 9 (most of those play slow, i.e leader Wiscy, as well), and that I thought 11.1 was pretty good for the way this team plays.

I don't appreciate being accused of saying things I didn't say, or come REMOTELY close to saying.

Ironically, I was defending the idea in your post, that the Zags are a great passing team. It just gets me a bit when a team or player is doing something well and people aren't satisfied, but I responded in a civil and factual manner. Please go find the original thread and reread it and you'll see that's true.

It's also true that BYU seems uninterested in playing defense, and the 21/7 partly reflects that imo.
    here is the original thread, and I agree with you maynard you said nothing should be taken as critical. I thought you and reborn had I nice series of posts that were of a courteous and friendly nature.

http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...s-to-go-before
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    Nothing like the perspective of the well read and well informed contingent.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post

I do apologize, Meynard, and will try even harder to be extra careful when making a general statement like I did. It was wrong of me to not go back and check to see what you actually did say. My bad. Again. I do apologize.

If your team is even CAPABLE of achieving a 68 percent assist rate against a winning opponent, it's an indication that your team is going to be very difficult for anyone to defend. I don't care if it's Arizona, Ohio State or Kansas. Never mind where the team stands statistically on a national basis when it comes 3 pointers made per game, 3 point shooting percentage, field goal shooting percentage, offensive efficiency, etc. There are very, very, few teams in the nation who possess the amount of offensively skilled players that Gonzaga has. How many teams can throw out 3 perimeters who shoot 46%, 45% and 39% from three point land, and then a guy like Barham who shoots it at 48%? Now would Arizona defend it better than BYU? Of course. But it would put significant pressure on their defense.

The problem with Gonzaga continues to be their defense, although that is getting better with the return of Gary Bell and better substitution patterns on Few's part. He's quick to get the small guard lineup out of the game if it's getting exploited. That and a lack of post depth. It is a team with holes, but offense isn't one of them.

The Memphis game will be a major test, no doubt. But I don't think the Zags need to win that game to prove their worth. Most of us realize that this isn't one of the best teams Few has had, even at 18-3.

I think it's too early to say whether the Zags are one of the better Zag teams or not. We're only half way through conference play. I think that the Zags have proven themselves up to this point, especially with the challenges that no other Zag team has had. One, the league is tougher. Two, I do not remember that any of those teams that CDC thinks is better than this team (he never really said which ones) had two starting players out for 4 to seven games.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    The problem with Gonzaga continues to be their defense, although that is getting better with the return of Gary Bell and better substitution patterns on Few's part. He's quick to get the small guard lineup out of the game if it's getting exploited. That and a lack of post depth. It is a team with holes, but offense isn't one of them.
    good call, and it's been interesting watching this team evolve, the substitutions and the defenses. going a lot to the 1 3 1 to pretty mixed results at best, would you agree? need to rebound out of that, so far not so good at that, and we still haven't seen GC out there full strength with KD and GBj all at the same time now that all are clicking. Memphis game we might see those 3 together out there a lot?

GU passing is great! all kinds of open shots and good looks all over the floor inside and out. Need to hit those looks at a good clip and anything is possible, anything, especially if they can hit them late, both late in games and as the season gets later and later. Get on a run, that's what March is about

Memphis will tell much but this whole stretch coming up is a tough and real test, looking forward to seeing how they do, if their passing and offensive efficiency can maintain while on the road for so many games.

Go Zags