Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The BBQ Thread

Did anybody else buy this barbecue car kit?

Quote Originally Posted by Eroop22 View Post
    My dad still rocks a weber smokey mountain. Pretty sure he has had it since the mid 90's.
    I got one of the BGE remote temp probes and used it about 4-5 times. I pulled it out this weekend and it went all whacky on me and was showing outside temps at like 185 degrees (it is 10 degrees outside right now!). I am a little annoyed since I payed nearly 100 bucks for the damn thing. I guess I get to find out how good BGE support is.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Twin Lakes Idaho, Summer 2012. . .one of the better batches

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post

Gonna try smoking salmon for the Super Bowl. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/smokedsalmon.htm
    Done. Used some cherry wood chips.

Lost control of temp trying to keep it low and the fire went cold, but got it stoked again quickly. Only did a couple of fillets so they hit 140 after about 3 hours. What ever I did, though, it worked. Mmm mmm mmm.

Very hard to leave it alone.

Brisket is on now.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Default The BBQ Thread

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    This is one of my "go to" devices for pork spareribs:

I have a couple of Webers, a gas grill, and an electric smoker. . .BBQ is proof God wants us to be happy.
    In the BBQ world those are known as UDS.

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    In the BBQ world those are known as UDS.
    Might be ugly but it works pretty well

Might be ugly but it works pretty well
    They can make some superb Q

So my wife is getting hooked on Egg cooked food. We have a big snow storm blowing in and she was concerned we didn't have enough charcoal to 'get us through the storm' and made me get some at Home Depot. Everyone else is getting snow shovels and ice melt. I am getting lump charcoal and pecan and cherry wood chunks.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

You have your priorities in order. . .

So my wife is getting hooked on Egg cooked food. We have a big snow storm blowing in and she was concerned we didn't have enough charcoal to 'get us through the storm' and made me get some at Home Depot. Everyone else is getting snow shovels and ice melt. I am getting lump charcoal and pecan and cherry wood chunks.
    I didn't know they had different sizes. Do you ever get tired of having all the maintenance issue?

Ha ha, are you worried at all. I'm not. I'm looking forward to getting a snow day and spending some time with my wife and daughter.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    I didn't know they had different sizes. Do you ever get tired of having all the maintenance issue?

Pretty low maintenance. Clean out the ash periodically and that is about it. I don't clean the grill or anything, just let it burn off.

More low maintenance than my Weber gas grill which needs a new propane regulator and bottom tray which rusted out after 13 years.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Did some tilapia on the grill this evening. Found this online and gave it a try. http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/807745/x/p1

My oldest daughter actually gave it a thumbs up. My youngest at least ate it (frequently a challenge). While have to keep this available.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I just noticed this thread, not sure why as I rarely visit the Foo. I've had a Lg BGE for about 5 years now and they are the bomb. The best thing to come off the BGE is thanksgiving turkey, but if the family had a vote, it would be close. Category wise, it has produced the best steaks, best ribs, best pulled pork and best meatloaf. Two times I've had 22 hr cooks and never had to restoke or reset the beast. I cooked up 15 lbs of pulled pork for one of my wife's girl gatherings and the women were over the top in compliments. I also have a clone called a Prmo (med) at my vacation place. It is not quite as good, but close and I wouldn't hesitate buying one if the deal was right. I wouldn't buy smaller than a Lg though if I were to do it again.

There are all sorts of devices that you can buy including a computer controlled thermostat that adjusts the air automatically to keep temps even\. They cost over $300 though. I can sear steaks at 600+ degrees about 30 mins after starting the grill. Basically, you can cook anything that you would normally cook in an oven in a BGE, including cakes of course they might be a little smoky. You control the smoke flavor with chips if you are going long and low. The hardest thing for me to get a handle on was chicken breasts as they have a very small window when they are done before overcooking and making them tough. The last few times though I've had rave reviews and I don't marinate which IMO is the lazy man's way to avoid the results of missing the small window.

I usually buy my lump from Walmart (Royal Oak brand), but they jacked the price so I shopped around and I've had good success with Cowboy but their chunks can be a little on the large side. If I had a Weber Smoky Mtn or that thing that Reno has, I would immediately stop using briquettes and switch to lump. You'll be glad you did after a few trials. You should never use briquettes in a ceramic cooker, and I think that is good advice for all BBQers in all non gas grills too.

To cook a 1.25 inch thick ribeye MR, get the grill up to 600*, toss on the steaks and let them sear for 90 seconds. Turn and do the other side for 90 sec. Turn once more, shut down the top and bottom air vents, and cook for 120 secs. You may have to adjust slightly, but they will likely be perfect MR steaks. Serve them up with a nice Merlot.
    Cheers,
    BD

PS, the only down side is that both here in OK and in NM, I have had to limit usage due to burn bans a couple of times. Those chimneys do spit out the sparks when the lump is just starting to take off. Also, you can let them get covered with snow, brush them off and cook as normal. I do keep mine under the roof though.

Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

I've never used lump, BD. Do you light it with a chimney starter (like Kingsford b'quettes) ?? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    The hardest thing for me to get a handle on was chicken breasts as they have a very small window when they are done before overcooking and making them tough. The last few times though I've had rave reviews and I don't marinate which IMO is the lazy man's way to avoid the results of missing the small window.
    No doubt. Halibut is even trickier but amazing when you nail it.

I've never used lump, BD. Do you light it with a chimney starter (like Kingsford b'quettes) ?? Thanks.
    Small hijacking here, but as a BGE enthusiast I figure it's cool. I use a Lightning Nugget to start my lump coal. Super clean, super easy -- it's perfect. I've had no need for a canister starter, and with the unusual shapes and irregularity of lump I'm not sure if a chimney would work well. At least for the crazy charco-log-chunks I'm getting.

Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I used to use the little parafin starters but I've used a chimney with a newspaper starter for about 4 years now. The weber chimney is a good one. I bought a cheapo first but the steel was too thin for the temps and it deformed so i bought a Weber, about $12 I think. I did melt the handle when I got sidetracked but I replaced it with wood. I also invested in some welders gloves (cheaper and better than BBQ gloves IMO). I think you'll like the enhanced smokiness of lump vs the briquettes. Some people like the mesquite but I only use it occasionally and usually with beef. Most brands are mixed hardwood.
    Birddog

I forgot to mention that the reason I wanted a BGE was because I found out you could smoke/roast and I wanted to smoke/roast a stuffed turkey. I know of no other device that would work with a stuffed turkey. I've done it several times now and it is out of this world, but then my blue corn, green chile stuffing is pretty dam out of sight anyway.
    I might have to visit the Foo more often, it seems to be a lot more civil around here.
    BD
    Birddog

I might have to visit the Foo more often, it seems to be a lot more civil around here.
    We've inherited the spirit of The Bandwidth Wasteland. . .

You need to use lump. It provides a very noticeable difference in the flavor of anything I have grilled. Go here to find out what types are out there: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

I just put one of these in the firebox with some lump coal heaped around it and give it about 15-20 minutes and it is ready.

- Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

You need to use lump. It provides a very noticeable difference in the flavor of anything I have grilled. Go here to find out what types are out there: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/lump.htm

I just put one of these in the firebox with some lump coal heaped around it and give it about 15-20 minutes and it is ready.

I really don't consider myself a charcoal snob but lump charcoal does seem to be better and I use it. But as long as you aren't using matchlight or an entire can of lighter fluid I will eat it. Last spring while on a fishing trip I lucked into getting about a cord of apple wood. So I have been doing a lot of barbequing over apple wood fires which is a nice change of pace.
    You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroop22 View Post
    I really don't consider myself a charcoal snob but lump charcoal does seem to be better and I use it. But as long as you aren't using matchlight or an entire can of lighter fluid I will eat it. Last spring while on a fishing trip I lucked into getting about a cord of apple wood. So I have been doing a lot of barbequing over apple wood fires which is a nice change of pace.
    Apple wood has become my go-to smoking wood right now.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Those fire starters work great and I used them for awhile. One day it dawned on me that I could invest in a chimney for $12 and get the fire started just as quickly if not quicker and recycle some newspaper for le$$. Anything with the BGE logo on it tends to be spendier than generic but alas, sometimes there is no choice if you need a BGE specific item.
    Lump charcoal, fire starters, BBQ tools, and other generics can be had for far less. Call me cheap.
    Birddog

Call me cheap.
    I'll call you anything you want, I just want to come over for some barbecue.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Those fire starters work great and I used them for awhile. One day it dawned on me that I could invest in a chimney for $12 and get the fire started just as quickly if not quicker and recycle some newspaper for le$$. Anything with the BGE logo on it tends to be spendier than generic but alas, sometimes there is no choice if you need a BGE specific item.
    Lump charcoal, fire starters, BBQ tools, and other generics can be had for far less. Call me cheap.
    I had them given to me. That is the right price for me.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time