Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The BBQ Thread

Default The BBQ Thread

As Reno knows, I got one of these this last summer (a late Father's Day gift)

I have been figuring it out over the last couple of months. One of the first things I did was a pastrami - a smoked corned beef brisket. Came out very well.

Tonight - pork tenderloin. http://www.texansmokingbbq.com/2013/...rk-tenderloin/

Put a light rub on it (Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom Rub) and let it set for an hour or so. The dad of my daughter's best friend is a sales manager for Dizzy Pig, so I have a ton of Dizzy Pig rubs (and got my Egg there for relatively cheap).

I have become pretty good at getting the temp right and stabilized fairly quickly, so it only took about 20 min to get the grill started and at cooking temp. Threw some mesquite chunks on for som added smokiness, and cooked for about 40 min.

Best thing I got for Christmas was a therma pen which gives instant reads on internal temps of food. Got the pork to about 150 and pulled it off.

The loins all taste like smoked bacon. Very moist and tender, too. Kids scarfed it down even though the Swamp Venom is a little spicy.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I've heard great things about the egg.

Five natural briquettes!

I love my egg. You can make a mean pizza in one of those.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Best thing I got for Christmas was a therma pen which gives instant reads on internal temps of food.
    Same here. My yonugest daughter, Mini 'Neer, gave one to me for Christmas 5 or 6 years ago. Now, I don't cook without it.

And they're durable. If yours ever gets soaked (from rain because you left it outside, or falling into a kitchen sink full of water - both happened to me), don't give up on it. Just let it dry out naturally, or delicatley (like very delicately) take it apart and dry it out. Mine is still working and the calibration has remained perfect.

Do Big Green Eggs come in propane or N. Gas models? At my age, charcoals are a non-starter.

I just finished a bag of BBQ potato chips so.... yeah.

Men wielding fire. . .it's a good thing !!

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagineer View Post
    Same here. My yonugest daughter, Mini 'Neer, gave one to me for Christmas 5 or 6 years ago. Now, I don't cook without it.

And they're durable. If yours ever gets soaked (from rain because you left it outside, or falling into a kitchen sink full of water - both happened to me), don't give up on it. Just let it dry out naturally, or delicatley (like very delicately) take it apart and dry it out. Mine is still working and the calibration has remained perfect.

Do Big Green Eggs come in propane or N. Gas models? At my age, charcoals are a non-starter.

Lump coal only. That is what makes them so versatile. You can smoke at 200 for hours on end or blast a pizza at 800, all by controlling airflow through the charcoal.

Gonna try smoking salmon for the Super Bowl. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/smokedsalmon.htm
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Kitz,

My wife and I are in the market for a smoker.

How much did you pay for your Green Egg? What size is it?

Do you have to bring it inside or into the garage when not in use?

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Kitz,

It cost, umm, not cheap. We actually got it from Dizzy Pig where they have an annual Dizzy Fest. The Eggs they use for their cooking demos are sold as gently used, so we got about $250 off or so. So it was about $850. They also don't come with a lot of accessories, so those add to the cost. If you are looking at something more cost effective, I was looking hard at the Kamado Joe. For the same price you get a lot of the accessories. As far as I can tell, quality is pretty similar.

I keep mine outside under the overhang of my porch roof. It is pretty durable. If you get a stand with wheels (which I did) it can roll in and out of a garage or shed fairly easily. They weigh a ton, though. No joke two man lift.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Kitz,

Friend has a Traeger and likes it.

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/gr...mokers%5E37679

I've seen them at my costco every once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I keep mine outside under the overhang of my porch roof. It is pretty durable. If you get a stand with wheels (which I did) it can roll in and out of a garage or shed fairly easily. They weigh a ton, though. No joke two man lift.
    Made of ceramic, that would make sense.

You must have gotten the large?

BBQ is a bit of a hobby for me. I collect grills and smokers like some people collect cars. Love the Green Egg I got mine at a yard sale so I didn't pay huge money for it. IMO the best thing about the Green Egg is its temperature control and temperature range.
    You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Friend has a Traeger and likes it.

http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/gr...mokers%5E37679

I've seen them at my costco every once in a while.
    Yeah, I see those at Costco also. Wood pellets, right?

Have you sampled the foods coming off these. Is it good?

Quote Originally Posted by Eroop22 View Post
    BBQ is a bit of a hobby for me. I collect grills and smokers like some people collect cars. Love the Green Egg I got mine at a yard sale so I didn't pay huge money for it. IMO the best thing about the Green Egg is its temperature control and temperature range.
    Thats an excellent thought.

Lots of flavor and very moist. The only downside in my opinion is they smoke like crazy not good for my location

I use the Traeger all the time food taste great. I use it to cook papa murphys pizza all the time.
    You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich.

Quote Originally Posted by Eroop22 View Post
    I use the Traeger all the time food taste great. I use it to cook papa murphys pizza all the time.
    Wifey loves Papa Murphy's.

Made of ceramic, that would make sense.

You must have gotten the large?
    Yup. Large.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

ThermaPen is an absolute must have. I use it constantly. They are pricey but the best thermometer you will ever own.

Note... this is NOT my thermapen.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Looking for a smoker look into a Weber Smokey Mountain. Runs great and dependable. I have had one for 12 years and it is still going strong!

Custom handle Marty Leach made for me! He makes them for Eggs also.

A couple of Chuckies and some beef ribs

Stl Style ribs!

Brisket! Note the two layers of fun here!

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Looking for a smoker look into a Weber Smokey Mountain. Runs great and dependable. I have had one for 12 years and it is still going strong!

Stl Style ribs!

There is a BBQ place in Memphis called Corky's that I love. Corky must be a good BBQ name.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post

Stl Style ribs!

My dad still rocks a weber smokey mountain. Pretty sure he has had it since the mid 90's.

This is one of my "go to" devices for pork spareribs:

I have a couple of Webers, a gas grill, and an electric smoker. . .BBQ is proof God wants us to be happy.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    This is one of my "go to" devices for pork spareribs:

I have a couple of Webers, a gas grill, and an electric smoker. . .BBQ is proof God wants us to be happy.
    Looks homemade did you make it? I recently purchased an old wine barrel with the idea of turning it into a smoker. Hopefully I will be able to carve some time out and get it done this spring. A picture of what I kind of want the finished product to look like.

When our company moved to Nevada in 1994, one of our vendors, a sheet metal & fabrication shop, gave it to me. They do a lot of work with the canneries on pulping screens and other stainless steel.
    I added the easy to read thermometer afterwards.

That wine barrel w/ firebox set up is very clever. Nice to look at too.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 01-28-2014 at 04:23 PM.