Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 130

Thread: The BBQ Thread

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    16,077

    Default The BBQ Thread

    As Reno knows, I got one of these this last summer (a late Father's Day gift)



    I have been figuring it out over the last couple of months. One of the first things I did was a pastrami - a smoked corned beef brisket. Came out very well.

    Tonight - pork tenderloin. http://www.texansmokingbbq.com/2013/...rk-tenderloin/

    Put a light rub on it (Dizzy Pig Swamp Venom Rub) and let it set for an hour or so. The dad of my daughter's best friend is a sales manager for Dizzy Pig, so I have a ton of Dizzy Pig rubs (and got my Egg there for relatively cheap).

    I have become pretty good at getting the temp right and stabilized fairly quickly, so it only took about 20 min to get the grill started and at cooking temp. Threw some mesquite chunks on for som added smokiness, and cooked for about 40 min.

    Best thing I got for Christmas was a therma pen which gives instant reads on internal temps of food. Got the pork to about 150 and pulled it off.

    The loins all taste like smoked bacon. Very moist and tender, too. Kids scarfed it down even though the Swamp Venom is a little spicy.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,268

    Default

    I've heard great things about the egg.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    South Hill, Spokane
    Posts
    20,314

    Default

    Five natural briquettes!

    I love my egg. You can make a mean pizza in one of those.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Kirkland, WA
    Posts
    20,973

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Best thing I got for Christmas was a therma pen which gives instant reads on internal temps of food.
    Same here. My yonugest daughter, Mini 'Neer, gave one to me for Christmas 5 or 6 years ago. Now, I don't cook without it.

    And they're durable. If yours ever gets soaked (from rain because you left it outside, or falling into a kitchen sink full of water - both happened to me), don't give up on it. Just let it dry out naturally, or delicatley (like very delicately) take it apart and dry it out. Mine is still working and the calibration has remained perfect.

    Do Big Green Eggs come in propane or N. Gas models? At my age, charcoals are a non-starter.

    .

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Spokane
    Posts
    1,819

    Default

    I just finished a bag of BBQ potato chips so.... yeah.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    48,054

    Default

    Men wielding fire. . .it's a good thing !!


    The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

    Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    16,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagineer View Post
    Same here. My yonugest daughter, Mini 'Neer, gave one to me for Christmas 5 or 6 years ago. Now, I don't cook without it.

    And they're durable. If yours ever gets soaked (from rain because you left it outside, or falling into a kitchen sink full of water - both happened to me), don't give up on it. Just let it dry out naturally, or delicatley (like very delicately) take it apart and dry it out. Mine is still working and the calibration has remained perfect.

    Do Big Green Eggs come in propane or N. Gas models? At my age, charcoals are a non-starter.

    .
    Lump coal only. That is what makes them so versatile. You can smoke at 200 for hours on end or blast a pizza at 800, all by controlling airflow through the charcoal.

    Gonna try smoking salmon for the Super Bowl. http://www.nakedwhiz.com/smokedsalmon.htm
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,780

    Default

    Kitz,

    My wife and I are in the market for a smoker.

    How much did you pay for your Green Egg? What size is it?

    Do you have to bring it inside or into the garage when not in use?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    16,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Kitz,

    My wife and I are in the market for a smoker.

    How much did you pay for your Green Egg? What size is it?

    Do you have to bring it inside or into the garage when not in use?
    It cost, umm, not cheap. We actually got it from Dizzy Pig where they have an annual Dizzy Fest. The Eggs they use for their cooking demos are sold as gently used, so we got about $250 off or so. So it was about $850. They also don't come with a lot of accessories, so those add to the cost. If you are looking at something more cost effective, I was looking hard at the Kamado Joe. For the same price you get a lot of the accessories. As far as I can tell, quality is pretty similar.

    I keep mine outside under the overhang of my porch roof. It is pretty durable. If you get a stand with wheels (which I did) it can roll in and out of a garage or shed fairly easily. They weigh a ton, though. No joke two man lift.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Kitz,

    My wife and I are in the market for a smoker.

    How much did you pay for your Green Egg? What size is it?

    Do you have to bring it inside or into the garage when not in use?
    Friend has a Traeger and likes it.

    http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/gr...mokers%5E37679

    I've seen them at my costco every once in a while.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I keep mine outside under the overhang of my porch roof. It is pretty durable. If you get a stand with wheels (which I did) it can roll in and out of a garage or shed fairly easily. They weigh a ton, though. No joke two man lift.
    Made of ceramic, that would make sense.

    You must have gotten the large?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,275

    Default

    BBQ is a bit of a hobby for me. I collect grills and smokers like some people collect cars. Love the Green Egg I got mine at a yard sale so I didn't pay huge money for it. IMO the best thing about the Green Egg is its temperature control and temperature range.
    You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Friend has a Traeger and likes it.

    http://www.traegergrills.com/shop/gr...mokers%5E37679

    I've seen them at my costco every once in a while.
    Yeah, I see those at Costco also. Wood pellets, right?

    Have you sampled the foods coming off these. Is it good?

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eroop22 View Post
    BBQ is a bit of a hobby for me. I collect grills and smokers like some people collect cars. Love the Green Egg I got mine at a yard sale so I didn't pay huge money for it. IMO the best thing about the Green Egg is its temperature control and temperature range.
    Thats an excellent thought.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Laguna
    Posts
    7,268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Yeah, I see those at Costco also. Wood pellets, right?

    Have you sampled the foods coming off these. Is it good?
    Lots of flavor and very moist. The only downside in my opinion is they smoke like crazy not good for my location

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Yeah, I see those at Costco also. Wood pellets, right?

    Have you sampled the foods coming off these. Is it good?
    I use the Traeger all the time food taste great. I use it to cook papa murphys pizza all the time.
    You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    11,780

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eroop22 View Post
    I use the Traeger all the time food taste great. I use it to cook papa murphys pizza all the time.
    Wifey loves Papa Murphy's.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    16,077

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Made of ceramic, that would make sense.

    You must have gotten the large?
    Yup. Large.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

    ________________________________



    Foo Time

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    On an island that is long
    Posts
    13,422

    Default

    ThermaPen is an absolute must have. I use it constantly. They are pricey but the best thermometer you will ever own.



    Note... this is NOT my thermapen.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

    "Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

    Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

    2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    374

    Default

    Looking for a smoker look into a Weber Smokey Mountain. Runs great and dependable. I have had one for 12 years and it is still going strong!

    Custom handle Marty Leach made for me! He makes them for Eggs also.



    A couple of Chuckies and some beef ribs



    Stl Style ribs!



    Brisket! Note the two layers of fun here!


  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Western Washington
    Posts
    16,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Looking for a smoker look into a Weber Smokey Mountain. Runs great and dependable. I have had one for 12 years and it is still going strong!

    Custom handle Marty Leach made for me! He makes them for Eggs also.



    A couple of Chuckies and some beef ribs



    Stl Style ribs!



    Brisket! Note the two layers of fun here!

    There is a BBQ place in Memphis called Corky's that I love. Corky must be a good BBQ name.
    Bring back the OCC

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Corky View Post
    Looking for a smoker look into a Weber Smokey Mountain. Runs great and dependable. I have had one for 12 years and it is still going strong!

    Custom handle Marty Leach made for me! He makes them for Eggs also.



    A couple of Chuckies and some beef ribs



    Stl Style ribs!



    Brisket! Note the two layers of fun here!

    My dad still rocks a weber smokey mountain. Pretty sure he has had it since the mid 90's.
    You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    48,054

    Default

    This is one of my "go to" devices for pork spareribs:



    I have a couple of Webers, a gas grill, and an electric smoker. . .BBQ is proof God wants us to be happy.


    The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

    Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    13,275

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    This is one of my "go to" devices for pork spareribs:



    I have a couple of Webers, a gas grill, and an electric smoker. . .BBQ is proof God wants us to be happy.
    Looks homemade did you make it? I recently purchased an old wine barrel with the idea of turning it into a smoker. Hopefully I will be able to carve some time out and get it done this spring. A picture of what I kind of want the finished product to look like.
    You can't make a half sandwich. If it's not half of a whole sandwich, it's just a small sandwich.

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    48,054

    Default

    When our company moved to Nevada in 1994, one of our vendors, a sheet metal & fabrication shop, gave it to me. They do a lot of work with the canneries on pulping screens and other stainless steel.
    I added the easy to read thermometer afterwards.

    That wine barrel w/ firebox set up is very clever. Nice to look at too.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 01-28-2014 at 04:23 PM.


    The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

    Respect the Game. Respect the Zags. Respect each other.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •