Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I remember the good ol days.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    If I am remembering right, over the years when I see a new blogger come on to GUBoards they usually say that they have been reading the posts here for years but have never posted because of fear of being slammed. The fear of being criticized for speaking their mind is a FACT. The cry I hear, and believe it is louder, is for people to stop attacking posters for what they say. I must admit, that anytime I feel like criticizing Mark Few or a player for how they played, I feel the fear of being attacked. So I know the fear is real for others too. I am just more committed to this forum then I am afraid of some people. There may be less people posting here, but IMO, there are still alot of fans who come here to read this board. They are why I am still here.
    Born have to disagree with the right to criticize premise....

Why do you feel it necessary to criticize Coach or any player? Do you think they are not trying to do their best? Do you think they don't want to win? Do you think you are more versed in the game? Seriously does it make you feel better as a person? Sorry but I don't think you or anyone else who posts here has the right to cast the first stone, me included.

When I respond to negative comments about coach or players I attempt to emulate the tenor and tone of the poster but one step further purposely to make them uncomfortable. Why? Because first and foremost to me this is a basketball board that is devoted to the Gonzaga program not the one some here wish it was but the one it actually is. Therefore I can accept the bad with the good and cherish every moment of game time regardless of the outcome. I've got no axe to grind and the only words I can come up with after each game in spite of the outcome is Thank You for allowing me to go along for the ride.

How many of you think Gonzaga would be where it is as a brand without Mark Few? That doesn't stop you from coming here and continually bad mouthing him. Why? Because you can and do if a game or player didn't work out the way you wanted. Poor you! Get over yourselves.

Frankly I want on the list with LIZF who mentored me on the decorum of this forum long ago and that decorum has drifted continually towards being more personal and negative in comments against coach, staff and players.

Hopefully not just my Opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    Some posters enjoy posting here just to elicit reactions -- so they post things that they feel will be inflamatory -- like "this player is only on the team because of his Daddy" and "Few is scheduling the way he does so that he can pad his win/loss record'---- "this player is not a division 1 athlete" or "how a player scores a lot of points in a game and next thing he is going to decommit because of playing style" and then they get the appropriate responses and wonder why Gonzaga fans don't agree with their views. They are not looking for people to agree with their views.....they are looking to elicit a reaction.
    Well said. There's a difference between objectively pointing out a weakness in a player's game, or a coach's strategy, and gratuitous insults, like using the word "oafish" as one poster did earlier this season to describe a player.

When people post things like that, it's a natural reaction by others to jump in and defend the player in question. And some of those responses will be snarky; it's almost like wanting to defend your little brother or sister.

So to those whose natural bent is toward criticism, criticize objectively and intelligently, and choose your words carefully. The reaction you get is usually exactly the one you deserve. Do the aforementioned and you are more likely to get rational discussion in response.

Eh. Tons of times I have seen realistic convo and facts on players and certain posters become personal right away.

This forum is essentially bar stool talk in a more public forum. I do think that some posters tend to 'get on' some folks more than others and often, when someone is posting for the first time, there isn't much acknowledgment. If there is, it seems to be negative. But generally things people say would probably get a nod from someone in person, even if they disagree.

Personally, I think last year burned a lot of folks out (myself included). So the good ol days (certainly before my time, but maybe I was there? How do you know...?) do seem in the rear view mirror, in my opinion. I remember some game threads where I was crying I was laughing so hard. Some of the Samhan threads were pretty epic too.

I think the elevation of the program on the national stage* (and the inevitable letdown) the last couple years puts a lot of pressure on the players, the program and in some odd-yet-not-definable-way the fans of the team. I think the lack of enthusiasm on the board starts there.

If I could could go back in time and foresee the mood we seem to be in now, I might suggest we worry less about ragging on forum members (the fans!) and start ragging on the opposing teams, goddammit.

That said, I heard Tyler Haws can cross his eyes and make his cornea touch.
    Last edited by U Zig, I Zag; 01-21-2014 at 08:39 PM. Reason: * I mean the heights reached by being #1 and a #1 seed...

I am really confused about the purpose of this board now. Maybe this isn't really the right kind of place for me. I'm beginning to feel those kinds of vibes. I thought it was an open forum, or a place to discuss GU basketball. Now I'm hearing it's only a place to come and say positive things about the program, the people who run it and the players. It's all good right? Nothing to ever criticize in Zagdom. It's a perfect little school and program. da da da da da da. And dang it, we shouldn't poop on someone nice pretty yard. We should all just shut up and be grateful because Mark Few brought this little jesuit school into stardom. And we should just be grateful.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

It's not about negativity. Jazz perspective is what keeps me an occasional lurker. Most people are just burned out. Also the new layout/style seems less inviting for some reason. But mostly it's just being burned out of underperforming in the bug dance. I'm as strong a fan as ever and know as much about the team as any year but don't feel the need to speak up. Now I Just read occasionally and marvel at the staying power of the program.

Last year killed it for alot of people. People stayed away. Plus, we have certain posters who rip on others if anything differs from them. If we dont make a better run, I could see it getting worse.

I agree with Zags11 that there are several posters and Mods who allow too much demeaning and condescending personal attacks on noobies who show up out of sheer fandom, only to get put down for saying what many see and some of which is likely true. Noobies here should be carefully babied and guided so they learn how to be PC but at the same time speak their minds. More educated minds make for a greater truth.

Seriously, I'd like to see how many of us really are from "the good old days" back when it was on the Yahoo affiliate Scout. WOW! Nearly 10 yrs ago! Amazing how time flies when you are having fun.

I started "here" as alaskazagnut back when the Zags and Dickau lost so badly to Nevada. I don't mind bragging a little bit either.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I am really confused about the purpose of this board now. Maybe this isn't really the right kind of place for me. I'm beginning to feel those kinds of vibes. I thought it was an open forum, or a place to discuss GU basketball. Now I'm hearing it's only a place to come and say positive things about the program, the people who run it and the players. It's all good right? Nothing to ever criticize in Zagdom. It's a perfect little school and program. da da da da da da. And dang it, we shouldn't poop on someone nice pretty yard. We should all just shut up and be grateful because Mark Few brought this little jesuit school into stardom. And we should just be grateful.

Just a tad overboard don't ya think? Criticizing someone is not discussing basketball? I think your a great fan Born I just don't see how your being a fan gives you the right to poop on someone else's lawn, as you put it, just because you want to. Your gonna do what your gonna do and it's your right to do it just like it's my right to call BS when I think it's BS. Capiche?

By the way those last two sentences are a really sad statement from a Zag fan.

Just my opinion

Go!! Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Say what you want on GU Boards, just don't be a dick to people on GU Boards. I for one have lower expectations this season compared to last season. I think GU will go 1-1 in March Madness this year. You guys may think I'm wrong but that's my opinion. I don't think Stockton should be a starter, I do think Stockton should play a nice size role on the team. ( 19-24 min ) When Bell comes back I think Dranginis should start with Pangos, Bell, Dower and Karnowski. Coleman should be the 6th man for instant offense.
    I'd prefer having Barham for the 6th man with the line-up you suggest because he has a better handle on the offense and has been boarding and playing some good D and you gotta love DB43. Coleman next then Nunez.

Go!! Zags!!!.

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    Born have to disagree with the right to criticize premise....

Why do you feel it necessary to criticize Coach or any player? Do you think they are not trying to do their best? Do you think they don't want to win? Do you think you are more versed in the game? Seriously does it make you feel better as a person? Sorry but I don't think you or anyone else who posts here has the right to cast the first stone, me included.

When I respond to negative comments about coach or players I attempt to emulate the tenor and tone of the poster but one step further purposely to make them uncomfortable. Why? Because first and foremost to me this is a basketball board that is devoted to the Gonzaga program not the one some here wish it was but the one it actually is. Therefore I can accept the bad with the good and cherish every moment of game time regardless of the outcome. I've got no axe to grind and the only words I can come up with after each game in spite of the outcome is Thank You for allowing me to go along for the ride.

How many of you think Gonzaga would be where it is as a brand without Mark Few? That doesn't stop you from coming here and continually bad mouthing him. Why? Because you can and do if a game or player didn't work out the way you wanted. Poor you! Get over yourselves.

Frankly I want on the list with LIZF who mentored me on the decorum of this forum long ago and that decorum has drifted continually towards being more personal and negative in comments against coach, staff and players.

Hopefully not just my Opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!
    Honestly, bigblahlah, I feel sorry for people like you. You are the one who can't handle reality. You can't handle a simple fact that this is an open forum and it's run by moderators and administrators. I'm glad it is not run by people like you. I know for a fact that I have worked hard over the years to make this an open forum while people like you have continually tried over the years in many different ways to keep me and people like me off GUBoards. Unfortunately, for you, it's not your board, and try as you may to control or scare people away, it will never work. Your "mentor" just said publically that they try hard to keep this an open forum. Until those who govern this board begin to supress or even repress the idea of freedom and a free board you will have to continue to put up with people like me, people you don't like and would like to run off. You know all about your private groups. You can always go and hide in them because then you only have to communicate with people who think the same as you. If you can't handle the concept of freedom of speech then maybe it is you who should consider staying away from an actual PUBLIC FORUM.

I'm glad this post came up in the same week we celebrate a great American Man who gave his life for the idea of freedom, Martin Luther King Jr. Maybe you have some lessons to learn about the whole idea of repression and supression.

I'm a proud member of this Board just like you are. I'm proud to say I love the Zags, and the basketball program including all the coaches. I'm as good a fan as anyone I believe. I am sorry you feel the way you do about me, but will not change my ideas of freedom to make you feel better. To tell you the truth, it was Gonzaga University who molded me into the person I am more then anyone else. Because of my studies there I came to understand who I am and my place here, on Earth, until the day I die. There are all kinds of graduates of GU and like a healthy family, we are all individuals, a little different with different talents. So I would challenge you to think about me and the others you don't think belong here on GUBoards, and see if you can learn to tolerate us. IMO we tolerate you. No one seems to be trying to run you off.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bigblahla View Post
    I'd prefer having Barham for the 6th man with the line-up you suggest because he has a better handle on the offense and has been boarding and playing some good D and you gotta love DB43. Coleman next then Nunez.

Go!! Zags!!!.
    I would be happy with Barham starting. I love Barham.
    Let's go Brandon!!!

Getting real on here. Love the honesty.