Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I remember the good ol days.

Default I remember the good ol days.

I remember the good ol days too. Used to be a lot more traffic on this site back then too. It may have been more appealing back in the day. ( This was a post from Birddog. ) Maybe it has something to do with 5-10 members that act like this is their forum and if you disagree with them or they don't agree with you, posters get thumped by 70+ year old people. Get a life, you would NOT talk to people face to face like this. TBO GoZags does a GREAT job keeping things clean. I will say some of you guys are making this a full time job for him.
    If you have something to say..............SAY IT! ( It is your opinion )

This is what a forum is about.

P.S The 5-10 members know who they are.

P.S.S I call out to the rest of you out there who don't post much to post more/ask more. ( The bad guys are the minority ) Take GU Boards back.

P.S.S.S Jazz has shot me down more than once. I still love Jazz. ( Lighten up on Jazz. )
    Last edited by ZagaZags; 01-20-2014 at 03:28 AM.
    Let's go Brandon!!!

Default Good Ole Days

Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

But we don't play nobody.

Who is Jazz??? It's all good. We are just one big disfunctional loving family, with a big heart for our Zags.
    Hey we are on a two game winning streak, who knows we may back in the top 20 today.
    Go Zags!!

Some say that negativity is contagious -- I'm not a fan -- but if we get enough glass half full folks posting about some of the good things that are occurring with the team --it makes for a bit more positive of an atmosphere.

Life is too short to be that negative all the time-- so smile Jazz-- it doesn't hurt that bad.

Go Zags

I wonder if I'm one of those 5-10 members? Am I one of those with the benefit and use of hindsight to recall where this team has come from and certain limitations we seem to always have (WCC...not necessarily a bad thing)? Am I part of the group that believes the program continues to trend up and that we're in good hands? Am I part of the group that doesn't hold every loss or every mishap in the big dance as a fault to coach Few?

Either way, the forum is much like politics these days. The voices of the extremists are the loudest and the moderates, although a majority, get drowned out.
    Go Zags!!!

I think Jazz is fine - 95% of the time, even though he can go to extraordinary lengths to find a negative.

He usually doesn't disagree neg to posters.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Longing for the "good old days" depends on your perspective. In 1971-72 I attended most of the GU basketball games in Kennedy Pavilion only because it gave my girlfriend and me (she is now known as the Lovely Mrs. '75) a chance to get frisky in the dark corners of the arena because nobody attended the games and we wanted to escape our respective roommates at St. Catherine/Monica. At that time, nobody in Spokane or on the national stage cared about GU basketball. Fast forward a few years and our daughter "Little '75" was a member of the Kennel Club and went crazy for the Bulldogs and after she graduated she came home with a basketball hoop that she says is her most valuable possession and which I don't want to know where she got it - but I suspect it was from a broken backboard - but it is currently in my garage. Fast forward a few years and GU has continued to receive national attention.

Flash forward. I want the Bulldogs to win 3+ games in the NCAA. Nothing else matters despite the fact that I am an old geezer.

Get Off My Lawn!

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Most of the unfriendly and annoying posts are in the topics relating to a certain player, and/or topics about who should or shouldn't be playing instead of him.

It is unfortunate because the subject, when you really boil it down, is talking about how like 10 minutes of playing time out of the 200 minutes in a game might be better distributed. That is all that most people seem to be talking about, and to me, its a lot of fun to hear people's thoughts on the real nitty gritty lineup stuff.

Some people on both sides of the discussion say some pretty rude stuff about players and or other posters. Some people like to jump in just to say how stupid the topic is. It is unfortunate that both of these things happen

cjm, for what it is worth I really like reading your posts and your insights on the team whether I agree or disagree with what you are saying (and I do a lot of both)

Don't know exactly what led to this. But it's proof that if you're thinking of starting a thread at 2:30 a.m. ... You probably just shouldn't.

By the way, I'm a long way from 70. But I still wish those kids would get OFF MY LAWN!

I LOVE this board. I was a zag fanatic for 3 years and did not know about this site. I was so tired of googling Gonzaga basketball, and re-reading the official mens basketball home page. It was, and still is, a gold mine for a zag lover. The only time I get involved with process, rather than content, on this board is when somebody is judging or putting down the other zag lover. I know put-downs are part of the cold, cruel world, but it is a better place when people push back against those with the pointed finger. It is usually motivated by, IMHO, fear, feeling threatened, and desire to change others.

I liked it a bit better back in the gunation days, maybe because it was more closely related to recruiting, which is what keeps me coming back to the boards. Doesn't seem like there is as much discussion/insight on recruits these days.

Be the GU Boards you want to see in the world.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Default Spot on

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    Be the GU Boards you want to see in the world.
    + 1,000
    Let's go Brandon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by VinnyZag View Post
    Don't know exactly what led to this. But it's proof that if you're thinking of starting a thread at 2:30 a.m. ... You probably just shouldn't.

By the way, I'm a long way from 70. But I still wish those kids would get OFF MY LAWN!
    Nice.............The curfew police. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2Az9pQWdP8
    Let's go Brandon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cjm720 View Post
    I wonder if I'm one of those 5-10 members? Am I one of those with the benefit and use of hindsight to recall where this team has come from and certain limitations we seem to always have (WCC...not necessarily a bad thing)? Am I part of the group that believes the program continues to trend up and that we're in good hands? Am I part of the group that doesn't hold every loss or every mishap in the big dance as a fault to coach Few?

Either way, the forum is much like politics these days. The voices of the extremists are the loudest and the moderates, although a majority, get drowned out.
    Sorry cjm720, you did not make the list of the 5-10 members. ( That is a good thing )
    Let's go Brandon!!!

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    Longing for the "good old days" depends on your perspective. In 1971-72 I attended most of the GU basketball games in Kennedy Pavilion only because it gave my girlfriend and me (she is now known as the Lovely Mrs. '75) a chance to get frisky in the dark corners of the arena because nobody attended the games and we wanted to escape our respective roommates at St. Catherine/Monica. At that time, nobody in Spokane or on the national stage cared about GU basketball. Fast forward a few years and our daughter "Little '75" was a member of the Kennel Club and went crazy for the Bulldogs and after she graduated she came home with a basketball hoop that she says is her most valuable possession and which I don't want to know where she got it - but I suspect it was from a broken backboard - but it is currently in my garage. Fast forward a few years and GU has continued to receive national attention.

Flash forward. I want the Bulldogs to win 3+ games in the NCAA. Nothing else matters despite the fact that I am an old geezer.

Get Off My Lawn!

Go Bulldogs!
    I'm with you '75. I arrived on the campus a year after you, though I never was afforded the chance to get frisky in the dark corners of Kennedy.

Fast forward to the early to mid-80s when I was squiring the future Mrs. TZF. The only reference to GU hoops in those years was when Dan Niksich appeared as a referee at the holiday basketball tournament at UTEP. Good thing the Zags never made the trip to El Paso, because it would have been a quandry for me, considering the heart and soul we put in as UTEP season ticket holders. BTW, say what you want about the new Kennel, there was nothing like the atmosphere when BYU rolled into town, or the game against Georgetown, with all 12,222 screaming their lungs out.

The road trips I took back then were to Albuquerque for the UNM game, and Salt Lake City if that's where UTEP played in the NCAA. Enjoying adult beverages with my friends and then-UNM coach Gary Colson (a really class act), wow...what a time!

Fast forward to the Zags magical run that continues to this day: road trips have included journeys to ABQ (loss to Wyoming), Tulsa (GoZags, there were people listening in on our conversation), OKC (Pargo vs. Blake Griffin), Stillwater (OSU), and this year to Wichita and Memphis. My two sons have enjoyed the road trips, and it won't be long before the grandson joins us. Win or lose, we know that the Zags will play their guts out, and represent the school admirably. More importantly, the time spent with my boys is the highlight of every trip.

I'll be turning 60 in a few months, but be careful about calling me a geezer. I'm back in training for another go at canyoneering near Zion NP this summer. The only change I'm making is a greater emphasis on the elliptical...the 2 1/2 mile hike in was a real challenge, considering we went from 4500' to 5500' elevation. The return trip was punctuated by 5 rappels, ranging from 40-90 feet.

I can't speak for Vandal, but I think the "good ol days" he was referring to were a couple 2, 3, 4 years back when in my view this board was most active, and was in large measure more civil. It is only my perception because I have no way to quantify, but I think the traffic on this site has been in decline for over a year. Many old and long time posters have disappeared for long stretches, some entirely. Perhaps they have become bored with posting on a fan site. Maybe they are spending their time Facebooking? Maybe bulletin boards in general are on the decline, I don't know the answer. It seems to me that in the last few years, posters have changed the style of their posts, that is, many are now postulating their opinions more as fact than opinion. This makes for more of an "in your face" style that at least to me is less inviting. I'm guilty of it too, the tenor has changed IMO. Zags 11 on another thread thought the traffic was on the rise. I personally don't think so and I think it is the incessant rancor and vituperation that is in large part to blame for the decline. Just my opinion.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

I'll agree that it seems to me like the traffic is less around here.
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Quote Originally Posted by ZagaZags View Post
    Sorry cjm720, you did not make the list of the 5-10 members. ( That is a good thing )

oooh oohh.. how about me???
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    I'll agree that it seems to me like the traffic is less around here.

Yes, and I suspect it revolves around the negativity rather than the positivity. Just sayin'. You guys feel free to keep saying what you want to say. But eventually it will be to yourselves alone.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    You're at the top of my list.

...no emoticon necessary...

Yes, and I suspect it revolves around the negativity rather than the positivity. Just sayin'. You guys feel free to keep saying what you want to say. But eventually it will be to yourselves alone.
    If I am remembering right, over the years when I see a new blogger come on to GUBoards they usually say that they have been reading the posts here for years but have never posted because of fear of being slammed. The fear of being criticized for speaking their mind is a FACT. The cry I hear, and believe it is louder, is for people to stop attacking posters for what they say. I must admit, that anytime I feel like criticizing Mark Few or a player for how they played, I feel the fear of being attacked. So I know the fear is real for others too. I am just more committed to this forum then I am afraid of some people. There may be less people posting here, but IMO, there are still alot of fans who come here to read this board. They are why I am still here.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Default Nope.

You did not make the list.
    Let's go Brandon!!!

Some posters enjoy posting here just to elicit reactions -- so they post things that they feel will be inflamatory -- like "this player is only on the team because of his Daddy" and "Few is scheduling the way he does so that he can pad his win/loss record'---- "this player is not a division 1 athlete" or "how a player scores a lot of points in a game and next thing he is going to decommit because of playing style" and then they get the appropriate responses and wonder why Gonzaga fans don't agree with their views. They are not looking for people to agree with their views.....they are looking to elicit a reaction.

Some fans are better than others at this and like to "stir the ###" -- gives them something to do as they lay on the beach in California or wherever they say they live.

We know friends and relatives of players read our board -- so some folks might be a bit more protective of our players when someone decides to post something non-factual about our Zag "family member".

The way I view it-- if you are going to post it-- you had better be willing to listen to the responses of the other fans on the site-- some may view it as an attack-- some will view it as an alternative opinion-- it's all in the delivery.

Go Zags