0 0%
  • Barham

0 0%
  • Another Zag ( and why )

3 2.22%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GUnit of the Game: St. Mary's - 1.02.2014

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    Also think a shout-out to Coach Few is deserved. You can criticize him for being rigid, cautious, or whatever else...but the fact of the matter is he is also steady and unwavering in the face of adversity. This team had a lot of reasons to come out flat and instead continues to play inspired basketball.
    Agree
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

This was a great game to watch. Shem owned Waldo, Angel looked great, Barham nailed his threes every open opportunity, Coleman started to show he has an added dimension, Edwards kept control of the paint when Shem was sitting, the defense was tight. Only real downside was turnovers. St. Mary's is probably wondering what will happen when the Zags are healthy.

Karno dominated the interior from the tip. Great all around game for him. Excited to see Nunez gain confidence with each game, he just needs to back away from dropping and driving with his shoulder each time he drives towards the basket. He'll start seeing more fouls as the WCC refs get more acclimated to his style of play

PK...Great game. We have all been waiting for this one from him.
    Nunez really impressed me. 13 pts and 8 boards. But what is going to blow your mind is the few minutes he played. This guy oozes with talent, and is so athletic. He is beginning to impress me the way the Elias did his Freshman year. Nunez is soooo athletic, and as he gets more comfortable, we'll see him shooting better. He will be better then Elias I believe. Just can jump so high. 8 rebounds in probably 14 or 15 minutes. Wait until someone figures out how to pass the alley oop to him. That one dunk he had I believe his elbows were at the rim.

Pangos and Coleman played very well too. Coleman is really becoming a team player. He had some nice assists. And Draino finally had a good game. These guys really are stepping up.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan24 View Post
    Also think a shout-out to Coach Few is deserved. You can criticize him for being rigid, cautious, or whatever else...but the fact of the matter is he is also steady and unwavering in the face of adversity. This team had a lot of reasons to come out flat and instead continues to play inspired basketball.

Karnowski: 15 points, 9 boards, 7 blocks
    Waldo: 5 points, 3 boards, 0 blocks

Total domination

Have we seen many games where Gonzaga defended the 3 point line better than that? SMC shoots 43% from three as a team. I counted 2 open looks all night. One of them in garbage time.

Karno was great
    Pangos and Angel had really good games
    Coleman is growing into a team guy - good things to come
    KD plays good defense and drives well, just needs to be more careful with the ball
    Edwards is more advanced than we realized and has a bit of Montana Grit.
    I'm blown away by the game!
    "The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you can never know if they are genuine"---Abraham Lincoln.

There is no doubt that Shem was the POG, as he was outstanding in almost every category. Congratulations on a great game! However, I was very impressed with the game that Angel Nunez had, and he will, IMO, be a major factor in the long-term success of this team. He is feeling more and more comfortable in the offense, which is major trouble for all our WCC opponents.

Well, that was fun! Loved Shem shutting down fang-boy.

Shout out to team D as well. The Gaels only had one player score double digits and held Holt to 9 and Waldow to 5. They got out on the shooters at the 3 point line, protected the paint and out hustled them all night.

Good job Karno. And the rest of the guys.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

- so many great efforts by multiple players, but my vote is karnowski
    - I'm in "he is not ready for nba camp" but keep giving me nights like this and i'll put him on the all wcc team come years end.

Shem w/7 blocks !

Nunez had a breakout night and gets my next vote. Great night. Very happy for this kid.

p.s. Shem was on the radio show I was listening to on the way home. turns out his parents are visiting him this week. GREAT time for this kid to have a huge night with his ma and pa in attendance. Cheers big Shem ! and welcome to Zag country, Mr. and Mrs. Karnowski !
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Karno. Great defense.

Loved Angel's dunk the most of all the plays and loved Karno's blocks a lot.

Coleman penetrating and finding the open man was beautiful. Early on he had a good pass to dower but dower wasn't expecting it.

Gotta be PK this one. But honestly, Angel is gonna be something. I know some other posters have poo-poo'd him a bit based on limited playing time and not proving anything - but really, watch him move. He is like Harris was, a cat slinking through the lane all springy and ready to go. Great athlete. His shot is nice too - that 3 from the sideline was a dive bomb through the net - woosh! perfect. Expecting big things from Angel.

Great team effort, got to go with Karnowski as POG made Waldo a non factor, Dranginis deserves recognition for the job he did on Holt totally disrupted Holt's game, Pangos and Nunez are the other who really stood out tonight. Zags rebounded great and St. Mary's only had two assists the first coming with less than four minutes in the game.
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Pk. Just owned the paint. That...was awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
    Gotta be PK this one. But honestly, Angel is gonna be something. I know some other posters have poo-poo'd him a bit based on limited playing time and not proving anything - but really, watch him move. He is like Harris was, a cat slinking through the lane all springy and ready to go. Great athlete. His shot is nice too - that 3 from the sideline was a dive bomb through the net - woosh! perfect. Expecting big things from Angel.
    Indeed. Angel looks to be a diamond in the rough.

My vote for tonight is Mr. Karnowski. I hope the FT monkey is off his back for good.
    Last edited by RenoZag; 01-02-2014 at 09:50 PM.

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Shem-Nasty

I also agree with the praise of Nunez, Coleman, and others. SMC had an off night, but the Zags had a little to do with that I think.
    It's peanut butter jelly time!

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    Karnowski: 15 points, 9 boards, 7 blocks
    Waldo: 5 points, 3 boards, 0 blocks

Total domination

Have we seen many games where Gonzaga defended the 3 point line better than that? SMC shoots 43% from three as a team. I counted 2 open looks all night. One of them in garbage time.
    St. Mary's was 1-12 from 3, and that came late in the game with about 3 minutes left, you're right we didn't give them many open looks.
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

Karno. He basically put his foot down from the beginning and told Saint Marys they'd be leaving with a loss. He deserves this one. Props to Nunez also. He's looking like he'll be a key player on this team.

Karno was playing out of his mind. Made ST Marys look like a bunch of school girls, lol... Dominant team statement made tonight by our Zags!!! Plus lots more to come with Nunez and Coleman (next breakout star)... Also great team play going on along with all the craziness and fun!!!
    "Blake Stepp had a reputation for saying little. That's probably because he had to clench his teeth and wince so much, playing through the pain."
    -Tales From the Gonzaga Hardwood

karno is hopefully coming into his own now and putting everything together...i've noticed that he really feeds off positive things in the early going and really gets into a rut if bad things happen. confidence and momentum seem to be super important for him...when he's going well even the free throws seem to be easy. more games like this should keep his mojo going.

Being rigid isnt always a bad thing in life. Sometimes it hurts but alot of times it saves you.