Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Tracking David Stockton's Climb up the GU Top 10 Charts

I would think that it is hard to compare him to other team's guards on a "per game" basis, as I would guess he has played less minutes per game over the course of his career. I would like to see how his assists, steals, and turnovers compared on a "per minutes played" basis.

Regardless of whether you like David or not (and I do like him, as well as all of our Zags), I think the fact that he has come from being a non-scholarship walk-on to being on these lists is an incredible accomplishment. Hats off to him!

If you subscribe to ken pomeroy's site you can get per possession and tempo neutral statistics, which might be interesting because it takes away both the per game and tempo bias. Spoiler: Stockton's steals and assists temp-neutral statistics are very good.

Quote Originally Posted by rawkmandale View Post
    Thank you - facts are facts.
    But what about the "facts" that he is too slow, not athletic enough, and plays primarily thanks to his last name? Or the clear and obvious "fact" that he puts the team at a total and complete disadvantage on defense when he plays? What about those FACTS!!!! Oh, and don't even get me started about how bad he shoots.

My wife tells me my sarcasm is not funny. All I can say is, sorry.

Besides Georgetown's, they laid another turd last night, what # of PGs have played with 4 NBA guys and not made the 2nd weekend?

Last 2 replies before mine prove my thread point. Come on, lets slow clap it out.....
    Love the zags for life

Quote Originally Posted by Vanzagger View Post
    Besides Georgetown's, they laid another turd last night, what # of PGs have played with 4 NBA guys and not made the 2nd weekend?
    Are you are complaining about Pangos, who was the starting pg the previous 2 years?

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    If you subscribe to ken pomeroy's site you can get per possession and tempo neutral statistics, which might be interesting because it takes away both the per game and tempo bias. Spoiler: Stockton's steals and assists temp-neutral statistics are very good.
    According to DraftExpress, he averages 5.9 assists per 40 pace adjusted (Tied for 98th in the country) and 2.4 steals per 40 pace adjusted (tied for 108th in the country). He's not even half as high as the leaders in each stat. DraftExpress's stats also include players that have only played 1 game though, so it is probably not very accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    Are you are complaining about Pangos, who was the starting pg the previous 2 years?
    Last year in the Kennel I watched a confident Guy Landry Edi, leading the team in scoring, get subbed out after less than 3 minutes. For?....your boy. You don't think there was a plan? He was like a starter last year playing with a lottery pick. Almost lost to Southern in first round.

Pangos saved our bacon at the end of that game.

Stockton started as a sophmore. What's your point?

Last year in the Kennel I watched a confident Guy Landry Edi, leading the team in scoring, get subbed out after less than 3 minutes. For?....your boy. You don't think there was a plan? He was like a starter last year playing with a lottery pick. Almost lost to Southern in first round.

How exactly did Edi fit in the offense? Would like your opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by cbbfanatic View Post
    you dont watch enough college basketball. you're basically saying that he is a top 15-20 PG in college ball, and that is just insanely inaccurate, no matter how much one likes this kid's game.
    Don't know about the starting thing either because he's so valuable as a change-up guy that make things happen off the bench ...with that being said I believe he'd be in the top 7 rotation of 95% of teams in college basketball ...starting is so overrated at times!! Just for the record...DS has 350 assists in 2283 minutes of play and KP has 308 in 2829 minutes of play. Yes ...David is more of a true point guard making passes that are so fun to watch ....Pangos on the other hand is that combo PG/SG that is also lots of fun to watch as he goes off for points when we need them....as a Zags fan it is SOOOOO nice to have them both.
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

Quote Originally Posted by cbbfanatic View Post
    you dont watch enough college basketball. you're basically saying that he is a top 15-20 PG in college ball, and that is just insanely inaccurate, no matter how much one likes this kid's game.
    No need to be so derogatory. Especially when you are (IMO) correct. Not insane, and I'm sure OZN watches cbb, but he is a fan of his team. I personally think all the hate toward DS is insane….oops, overboard. But I agree with your numbers and your opinion. 300+ D1 schools, top 5% = 15-20. David is not in that group. I'm guessing DS would even agree.

WHAT 4 NBA guys are you talking about? At last count I have maybe 1 (Olynyk) and a half (Sacre) ...AND DS averaged 15, 17, and 19 minutes before this year ....
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

A FIRST for this board: Trying to figure out how BAD one of our beloved, courageous players are. A redshirt who did well enough to get his scholie and who's contributed to many many victories. Nice goin guys.

I tried to ignore you but congrats you baited me into it.. This is a thread to track the career acheivements of one of our players who has dedicated to his career to helping this program as best he can. There is a time and place to voice your opinion (which you have relentlessly done and everyone on GUBoards is aware that you have a blind hatred for short players) but this thread is not it. You do not need to come and bring negativity to this thread, there are several other threads that you can do that in. If you absolutely cannot resist coming here and letting everyone know how terrible you think David is then how about you skip this thread next time you come on? I'm pretty sure I saw that in the rules you are not supposed to derail threads off topic.

Ok that's it I'm officially never replying to another post hating on David.. I can do this.. Be strong..

Quote Originally Posted by GeorgiaZagFan View Post
    WHAT 4 NBA guys are you talking about? At last count I have maybe 1 (Olynyk) and a half (Sacre) ...AND DS averaged 15, 17, and 19 minutes before this year ....
    Good point

Here is his statsheet page:

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/pla...ason=2013-2014

Not bad at all.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    A FIRST for this board: Trying to figure out how BAD one of our beloved, courageous players are. A redshirt who did well enough to get his scholie and who's contributed to many many victories. Nice goin guys.
    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...p/t-22434.html

Nice call Doc. The kid did exactly as you said.

Go!! Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    He's often the last resort but he also knows the clock and has no problem shooting or passing at the last second, whatever is needed. By their nature, and conversely, KP and GBj are much more cautious. They (GBj in particular and KP less so over time) seem to need to "feel it" before they'll shoot. It's probably also why they are better shooters. They know when to shoot and when to pass. But that luxury is not available to the last guy with the ball and a second or two left on the clock.
    i would have to strongly disagree with this...kevin pangos has the ball in his hands the majority of situations with the shot clock running down and not david stockton. pangos is also anything but cautious and never has been...stockton by comparison hesitates to shoot even when he is wide open. i get that you are defending stockton, but when you use faulty examples it's not exactly helping his cause. he has his strengths but everyone knows shooting isn't one of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
    ...it is IMO that Stockton would start on 95% of the Div 1 teams today...
    Don't see it
    I am working on being a more all around square.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    i would have to strongly disagree with this...kevin pangos has the ball in his hands the majority of situations with the shot clock running down and not david stockton. pangos is also anything but cautious and never has been...stockton by comparison hesitates to shoot even when he is wide open. i get that you are defending stockton, but when you use faulty examples it's not exactly helping his cause. he has his strengths but everyone knows shooting isn't one of them.
    ok we disagree. I know what I've seen for 3 years and so do you. stockton does hesitate to shoot. He just got it back from a shooter. the clock is running down. If you haven't seen this many times, I don't know what to say. It's forced him to shoot better, I think and fwiw. I expect the shooter to take the shot, not return it, whether DS is willing or not.

Next time we have a high pressure game, watch & see how many times a shooter (open) won't shoot. KP is among the best to shoot, but he is also a naturally cautious shooter, imo. If he is hot he doesn't hesitate. My issue is when he or any other shooter is open (I say, but not ready). GB was the worst at this, imo. KD & DB used to be more like this, too after m issing a shot or two. Less so now as their confidence grows.

at any rate, it will show or it won't. It would be great with me if it stopped happening.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Are we serious here? Lol. Lets give props for being top 10 in couple areas. He isnt the best player but he isnt the worst.
    Love the zags for life

Yeah, for one game:

Starts:
    2009-10: 0
    2010-11: 0
    2011-12: 1
    2012-13: 2

To quote Puddy from Seinfeld: "Don't play dumb with me. That's a game you can't win."

Safe to say, Stockton will finish 6th all time in assists for GU.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    i dont see how that changes the argument. im not terribly concerned with how he got here, only that he IS here and playing significant minutes.

its a nice footnote that he made it as a walk-on, but it doesnt change what happens on the court. i dont think people doubt his balls or character. i dont anyway

Following the USD and BYU games, where David had a combined 10 assists and 2 steals.

Moved up to 6th place in assists, with a long way to go to reach Bouldin at #5. Pulled a little bit closer to Stepp in steals, now trailing by 7.

Assists
    1. Matt Santangelo – 668
    2. Blake Stepp – 640
    3. Jeremy Pargo – 589
    4. John Stockton – 554
    5. Matt Bouldin – 444
    6. David Stockton - 360
    7. Derek Raivio – 356
    8. Steven Gray – 339
    9. Geoff Goss – 324
    10. Don Baldwin – 313

Steals