• Coleman

29 43.94%
  • Pangos

24 36.36%
  • Draino

5 7.58%
  • Someone else (WHO?)

3 4.55%

Thread: - - - GUnit of the Game- - - (Chaminade)

Default - - - GUnit of the Game- - - (Chaminade)

Lots of guys padding the statbooks in this one. Too bad we couldn't have saved like 4-5 of these points and just added them to last night's game.

GO ZAGS
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Darn meant to do Coleman but hit someone else because I didn't read all the names just did a quick scan.
    11 cheers for binary!

"Make me a sandwich"
    "Make it yourself"
    "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
    "Okay"

GBJr

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Pangos easily. 18 points on 7-10 shooting, 7 assists, 2 steals, and no turnovers and he didn't even play for like the last 10 mins. Coleman was fantastic as well.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    GBJr
    Talent wise, Gary should be our leading scorer every game. He doesn't get my vote until then.

Nice practice game but Chamy still had more offensive boards than us and we only out rebounded them by 3 total, Arkansas is gonna kill us on the glass

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    Talent wise, Gary should be our leading scorer every game. He doesn't get my vote until then.

U got that right. Why isn't he?

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    U got that right. Why isn't he?
    I can't say for certain, just speculation, but I think he defers too much. Again, just speculation, but it seems to me that a personality trait that makes Mr. Bell a helluva nice person may be holding him back on the basketball court. He's deferring, IMO. I think someone's got to tell him (convincingly) that he's the man. If the switch ever goes off, that kid is going to be dynamite. Maybe they should make him watch Morrison GU game films.

Quote Originally Posted by former1dog View Post
    I can't say for certain, just speculation, but I think he defers too much. Again, just speculation, but it seems to me that a personality trait that makes Mr. Bell a helluva nice person may be holding him back on the basketball court. He's deferring, IMO. I think someone's got to tell him (convincingly) that he's the man. If the switch ever goes off, that kid is going to be dynamite. Maybe they should make him watch Morrison GU game films.
    I agree. Coach needs to sit him down and tell him this is his team every bit as much as Sam or Kevin and that he is just as responsible for how far this team goes. Time and again he seems to only rise up and assert himself if the game seems to be slipping away at the end. If he had the same attitude all game he would be far more effective.

I have hope that he is just getting back to feeling like his old self and that with each passing game he will look to score and create even more.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Im not voting for GUnits against D2 opponents anymore. Its not the same team or players we normally are.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    U got that right. Why isn't he[GBJr]?
    An interesting snippet via an opponent's message board:

Another small insight -- Bell does not thrive in the three-guard set. He was at his best last year when Stockton was a reserve, Pangos was the point and he could freelance on the outside. The presence of Olynyk in the middle also opened up enormous opportunities for both him and Pangos, but that is all over now. Bell is wasted in the Zags' current alignment and I think Few is going to have to get over his love affair with Stockton and realize where the best back court talent resides. If I heard the idiot Bilas say one more time that "Gonzaga has three point guards on the floor" without once telling us why that is a good thing or, more importantly, whether there are any pitfalls in it, I was going to puke.
    I'd agree with some of this -- Bell is not being utilized appropriately at SF. He's at his best hunting for shots and being defended by smaller guards. His only chance at being open from 3 from the 3 is when Pangos drives and kicks it out, otherwise its roaming and cutting rather than shooting and dribbling. Stocks playing PG forces GBJr to play out of position every time he's on the floor in our 3-[point]guard attack. If we want a roamer and cutter, play Coleman. Also, gotta think of defense at some point, right?

Just a thought.

I'd like to see our lineup resemble an actual lineup...especially defensively....PG(6'2"), SG(6'2"), SF(6'4"), PF(6'9"), C(7'1"). Someday...I believe its coming...

I watched a bunch of Bell's high school games, and as I've said before he was even with Adam as the best high school scorer in Washington in the last decade and a half, better than Wroten, Stuckey, Martell Webster, or anyone else you care to name. The numbers say the same. He put a mediocre team on his back at the end of his sr yr as much as Adam did with Mead.

With that team he had to because nobody else could. As others have said, his one flaw is that he's too deferential. His shooting % is too high; it says he's not taking any of the tough shots Pangos winds up taking.

If Bell doesn't become a great scorer this year and next, it will be the greatest failure by this staff I have seen, and my biggest disappointment as a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    I watched a bunch of Bell's high school games, and as I've said before he was even with Adam as the best high school scorer in Washington in the last decade and a half, better than Wroten, Stuckey, Martell Webster, or anyone else you care to name. The numbers say the same. He put a mediocre team on his back at the end of his sr yr as much as Adam did with Mead.

With that team he had to because nobody else could. As others have said, his one flaw is that he's too deferential. His shooting % is too high; it says he's not taking any of the tough shots Pangos winds up taking.

If Bell doesn't become a great scorer this year and next, it will be the greatest failure by this staff I have seen, and my biggest disappointment as a fan.
    SPOT ON
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post

Approaching or surpassing Gray, who may have had even more natural gifts?

Voted for Coleman. He barely plays against Dayton when we really needed him and Few asks him to save us at the end of the game. Finally he gets some playing time today and he shows his worth. I hope Few has finally figured out how to use Coleman. We will need him next game!

Quote Originally Posted by Gray'sAnatomy View Post
    What message board is this?
    It's the same old same old. Don't expect it to change.

I didn't get to watch the game, but felt I needed to vote anyway just because. Too bad we didn't shoot like that last night. Oh well.

Coleman.

His defense is improving, partly due to just getting enough PT. I'm still harboring some irritation about his paltry minutes against Dayton. He showed us a style of play that we've never enjoyed before. I love watching him drive and shoot. In my opinion the most important attribute we saw tonight was Coleman's heart. I have no doubts about his commitment to Gonzaga basketball and his teammates seemed to get that too.

Dranginis played well and could also be a difference maker in coming months.

Pangos. I'm just grateful and I owe him votes down the road because lately I have voted for the supporting cast he needs to be the national star that we know he is.

I agree that Gary Bell needs to be prominent as a scorer. I love the guy. He's a big part of the soul of this team.

Kudos to Dower and Karnovsky for going for those rebounds harder in this game.

No disrespect to any Zag team member. I like them all - each & every one. But, should Bell break out this season the Zags win the WCC for sure & do well in the NCAAs. How GBJ goes so do the Zags - and I feel he can excel no matter who else is on the floor with him. I'm a dreamer and would make a lousy BB coach. Regardless, ;-) I'd put Gary on the floor until he either fouled out or needed a break. Go Zags!

I think we should run more sets for Bell, driving in, then kick out to Bell

Default Bingo!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    I think we should run more sets for Bell, driving in, then kick out to Bell
    Absolutely, yes!
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

but you cant when there is the three guard lineup....the pick and roll goes AWAY from Bell so the only option is the reversal of the ball to get Bell engaged in the offense....one of the reasons I am opposed to the three guard lineup it natural leaves one of our best all around offensive players out of the offensive set for the first 10-12 seconds and only if we reverse it ........basically he becomes our 4th option which doesnt make sense to me
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Is this still the GUnit thread? If so I voted Coleman by a nose, he played well except for that comet like pass.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray'sAnatomy View Post
    What message board is this?
    GodisaGael

The GUB Resource Library: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Pangos had a great game, but I voted for Karnowski. His first Dub-Dub, (even against the DivisionII team) I applaud his effort.
    Qualified for 23 Straight Big Dances

12 Straight Round of 32s

11 Sweet Sixteens (6 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 AND 2021 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

2021 Undefeated Regular Season

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.