Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I REALLY Like This Team

Default I REALLY Like This Team

We are who I thought we were. We have a lot of deficiencies. We lack depth. When the shots aren't falling we are going to struggle but when they are we are going to be tough to beat. We are nonathletic, but we are talented, unselfish, and tough. This team makes me proud to be a Zag fan.

We just shot 26% from 3 (not the last time that will happen) and lost to a very talented team (that could not miss in the second half) by about 2 inches. We had almost no chance at winning this game at the end but we didn't fold over and concede; instead we fought back and gave it our best effort. I am encouraged by what I saw out of this team tonight. Nobody wins all of their games; Duke beat VERMONT by 1, UK almost got beat by Cleveland St, and Michigan just lost to Charlotte. I think that 90% of the players on this team are going to play with as much heart as possible and are going to do whatever it takes to win, and if certain players aren't playing all out I fully support us going to a 5 guard lineup like we did tonight and putting in players that are going to give their all.

I also think Coleman should have the offense run through him every time that he is in the game, and if the offense is not going through him he should be on the bench. There is a reason that he had the ball at the end and that is because he is our best creator with the ball in his hands and a non factor without the ball in his hands. If he is in let him create, if he's not the focal point of the offense don't put him in.

That is all.

Go Zags!

+1000! Just disappointed to me as 1st loss this yr was like last yrs final loss.

Good points. Coleman should have had more time. Though his defense is lacking, he is athletic on the offensive end and could penetrate. Having just Dower and Pangos scoring with a little Bell is not enough. Bell needs to be more assertive. He is a junior now. He has the offensive skills. He can shoot. He needs to get the fire. He needs to find his inner Morrison. We got out rebounded embarrassingly bad, not sure how we correct that. Thank God most of the WCC won't be athletic like the Flyers. Then again, when we play a team like this in the NCAA's.......

Quote Originally Posted by Zags11 View Post
    +1000! Just disappointed to me as 1st loss this yr was like last yrs final loss.
    It was a very disappointing loss. There have been losses where I just didn't want to talk to anyone for a whole week afterwards and this was not one of those for me, though. I am just happy we battled instead of giving up in the last couple minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Ezag View Post
    Bell needs to be more assertive. He is a junior now. He has the offensive skills. He can shoot. He needs to get the fire. He needs to find his inner Morrison.
    Gary Bell is the best offensive player on the team in my opinion. He should be looking to create something every time he touches the ball. If he gets that killer mentality he could be incredible. Dranginis needs to be more assertive as well.

I am reminded of the end of the "Life of Brian"

"Life's a piece of sh*t when you look at it. . . "

I can see half our team hanging up there, whistling away.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Dayton shot 61% from the field in the 2nd half had we made 3 more shots we would have won.

The perfect storm as both Sam and Shem foul out. Feel kind of sorry for Shem as he never gets calls when his arms are raked going for a rebound.

I'm not discouraged at all just disappointed that we gave up 18 offensive rebounds.

Amazing heart showed by the Zags I loved how hard this TEAM battled, they never gave up.

Go!! Zags!!!

Zags played a solid first half and showed some fight in the end. I tip my hat to Dayton's crowd, they really brought it. I get that the Maui tournament draws a lot of our older fans and alumni, but I was in the Dayton line to get into the arena and their average age must've been 60. Still they completely out cheered us all game.

Quote Originally Posted by Chone Figgins View Post
    Zags played a solid first half and showed some fight in the end. I tip my hat to Dayton's crowd, they really brought it. I get that the Maui tournament draws a lot of our older fans and alumni, but I was in the Dayton line to get into the arena and their average age must've been 60. Still they completely out cheered us all game.
    I'm not an alum. Just a former Spokane resident and huge Zag fan. These are the only 3 Zag games we will attend in person all year. The guy sitting next to my 7-year-old son was 60+. Even though he was decked in Zags gear, he never once clapped or cheered, never once stood up, and gave my son and anyone who dared to stand up around him the evil eye. I felt sorry for the guy in front of him. He actually tried to tell him to stop standing up. Very disappointing waste of a ticket. Neither my son nor I have a voice tonight from all the yelling we did.

I think they are great fun to watch...I didn't see any quit....Coleman and Karno just might improve....just keep sawing wood.

Likely to be a long season. Karno is a big drop off the inside talent of the past years.

And the Zags will not defend the 3's. That's a given.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Few needs to get over himself and his 'patterns' if we want to win games like this with the group of guys we have (Angel may change some of this...). All was lost UNTIL our bigs fouled out. We actually HAD to do something and the shorter guys come in and turn up the hustle. The problem is, when it went from 9 to 7 or 6 right after the half THAT's when Few needs to mix it up.

I think this is a good team and I think we'll win some games and I think we'll win the WCC regular season.

Also, major mental breakdown by Pangos and the coaching staff about him already having 4. For ####'s sake, after he fouls Bell comes over to him and you can see him mouth - 'you had 4!'. How the hell Pangos didn't know that is beyond me.

I do like this team, but they are not quite ready for prime time.

I was pretty sure it was going to take a while for the Zags to work out the kinks. This is a very different team from last year and the coaches and players have some adjustments to make.

It wouldn't surprise me to see this team beat Memphis.

Quote Originally Posted by BTB View Post
    We are who I thought we were. We have a lot of deficiencies. We lack depth. When the shots aren't falling we are going to struggle but when they are we are going to be tough to beat. We are nonathletic, but we are talented, unselfish, and tough. This team makes me proud to be a Zag fan.

We just shot 26% from 3 (not the last time that will happen) and lost to a very talented team (that could not miss in the second half) by about 2 inches. We had almost no chance at winning this game at the end but we didn't fold over and concede; instead we fought back and gave it our best effort. I am encouraged by what I saw out of this team tonight. Nobody wins all of their games; Duke beat VERMONT by 1, UK almost got beat by Cleveland St, and Michigan just lost to Charlotte. I think that 90% of the players on this team are going to play with as much heart as possible and are going to do whatever it takes to win, and if certain players aren't playing all out I fully support us going to a 5 guard lineup like we did tonight and putting in players that are going to give their all.

I also think Coleman should have the offense run through him every time that he is in the game, and if the offense is not going through him he should be on the bench. There is a reason that he had the ball at the end and that is because he is our best creator with the ball in his hands and a non factor without the ball in his hands. If he is in let him create, if he's not the focal point of the offense don't put him in.

That is all.

Go Zags!

Great post. I loved the grit down the stretch trying to claw back. We will slide back to a fringe top 25 team but that's about where we should be anyways at this time. It's a long season.
    It's F4 or bust.

Quote Originally Posted by U Zig, I Zag View Post
    Few needs to get over himself and his 'patterns' if we want to win games like this with the group of guys we have (Angel may change some of this...). All was lost UNTIL our bigs fouled out. We actually HAD to do something and the shorter guys come in and turn up the hustle. The problem is, when it went from 9 to 7 or 6 right after the half THAT's when Few needs to mix it up.

I think this is a good team and I think we'll win some games and I think we'll win the WCC regular season.

Also, major mental breakdown by Pangos and the coaching staff about him already having 4. For ####'s sake, after he fouls Bell comes over to him and you can see him mouth - 'you had 4!'. How the hell Pangos didn't know that is beyond me.
    That's part of the problem, Few doesn't mix things up. Hence the lack of 3pt D for YEARS. I know some of that is based on guard height and speed too.
    11 cheers for binary!

"Make me a sandwich"
    "Make it yourself"
    "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
    "Okay"

Quote Originally Posted by pbriz View Post
    Great post. I loved the grit down the stretch trying to claw back. We will slide back to a fringe top 25 team but that's about where we should be anyways at this time. It's a long season.
    + 1 BTB

No shame in that loss. Helluva game. Warts & all. Baptism of fire for many. Good for them.

Seeing KP step up was great. Lots of room for improvement. Plenty of time to do so.

i like this team, too.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I think they are great fun to watch...I didn't see any quit....Coleman and Karno just might improve....just keep sawing wood.
    This. Reminds of the old school Zags, live by the three and die by three but gritty as hell.

Karno is a big drop off the inside talent of the past years.
    Compared to who? Aside from a surprising and unexpected year by Kelly, and one of the best Zags ever in Harris the stats would disagree with this. Sacre averaged one more basket (on almost 20% WORSE shooting), and a half of a rebound more (in 4 more minutes of PT) as a SENIOR. Karno needs to improve his free throw shooting and overall strength, but as a sophomore some of you are making him the goat for no reason and much too soon.

There were many reasons we lost last night: GBJ (a key player for us) not scoring on the first half, our team rebounding (guards almost non existent), typical horrendous 3 point D, and lack of go to guy outside of Sam and Kevin are all much greater concerns for me than a sophomore averaging 10 points and 6 rebounds in only 22 minutes per game.

This will be a good learning experience for the team.

On a postive note-- we probably get another year of the big man as he still has some improvements to make before he jumps to the next level.

The team will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag79 View Post
    This. Reminds of the old school Zags, live by the three and die by three but gritty as hell.

Compared to who? Aside from a surprising and unexpected year by Kelly, and one of the best Zags ever in Harris the stats would disagree with this. Sacre averaged one more basket (on almost 20% WORSE shooting), and a half of a rebound more (in 4 more minutes of PT) as a SENIOR. Karno needs to improve his free throw shooting and overall strength, but as a sophomore some of you are making him the goat for no reason and much too soon.

There were many reasons we lost last night: GBJ (a key player for us) not scoring on the first half, our team rebounding (guards almost non existent), typical horrendous 3 point D, and lack of go to guy outside of Sam and Kevin are all much greater concerns for me than a sophomore averaging 10 points and 6 rebounds in only 22 minutes per game.
    Oh please. Comparing Karno to Sacre? Sacre was the defensive player of the year in the WCC and All Conference his last year. You are suggesting that Karno is close to either the talent or potential of Harris, Kelly, or Sacre? Fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag79 View Post

True Sacre was never good offensively(nor a great rebounder) but he was a very good defender something that Karno is definitely not.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
    Oh please. Comparing Karno to Sacre? Sacre was the defensive player of the year in the WCC and All Conference his last year. You are suggesting that Karno is close to either the talent or potential of Harris, Kelly, or Sacre? Fiction.
    Karno has the tools, but so far hasn't put the pieces all together yet. Like CDC said in another thread, he needs to stay the summer in Spokane, ala Harris, if he really wants to step up to where we need him to be.
    11 cheers for binary!

"Make me a sandwich"
    "Make it yourself"
    "Sudo Make me a sandwich"
    "Okay"

Karno is a lot better right now than Sacre or Kelly were their sophomore years.

Considering I said comparing Karno to our bigs of old aside from Kelly and Harris, no I am not suggesting that he is as good as them yet. Now when he is a junior/senior who knows, he defintely has the potential and upside to be as good. I am simply saying when it comes to offensive and rebounding he is actually on pace to be better than a Sacre, and it's not like the game was lost due to his play. My main point was that I can name many things that are more of a concern to me than a sophomore big averaging 10 and 6 in only 22 minutes.

Without a doubt.

I agree and also like this team. Yes Coleman needs to keep learning and he will be there by year end. Edwards would have made a difference. Nunez would have made a difference. And we missed by inches on winning or going into OT. Dranginnis hit the rim head on and was an inch short. One of their super long threes hit the front of the rim bounced up and went in. So it was a matter of inches. Now many of you are Missing the amount of improvement that PK has made between last year and now. With the amount of playing time from now to March, we should see even more. If he does this could still be a super year. But I have too say that I already love what I see in this team. Keep the chemistry and this will be a fun year to watch. Already have my room and airline tickets for Las Vegas.

I really liked the defense in the first half. The 1-3-1 that slipped into a 2-3
    Did the Zags run that as much in the 2nd half?

1st half they could get a good look and even
    Had a shot clock violation

Quote Originally Posted by BTB View Post
    No. Sacre as a Sophomore had a 10.3 ppg scoring avg and 5.4 rebounds pg.

KO? Well, stats not great, but he had a lot of experienced players in front of him that kept the minutes down. Karno does not have that problem.