• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ZAGLAWQB
    Kennel Club Material
    • Oct 2009

INTRAMURALS: UNDERGRADS AND LAW STUDENTS

In the late 70s we got to meet some great undergrads. Law guys would laugh about how undergrads looked at us like we were all "old", a new experience for most of us as we were all 23-30 years "old". One memorable basketball game against a group of seniors(all of age of course), we barely won, but extended a "cordial" invitation to meet at the Bulldog. It was a Thursday night, a busy night always at the Dog in the 70s. For some reason we all started drinking wine that was the evening's special...9 of 15 ended up sick in the alley...some of whom are now partners. We still laugh about those first "interviews".
  • kitzbuel
    • Feb 2007

When I played intramural football, there was a team who called themselves 'Jerry's Kids'. My senior year several graduated and were grad/law students/5th yr seniors and the renamed themselves 'JerryAtrics'.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• RenoZag
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

There was an I-M team named "Bacchini" that had a few law students in 77-79 time frame. Very good on the field, the hardwood, and the gridiron.
      The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Birddog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Way way back in the 60's at least one Law School team was called the Tortfeasors.
        Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
        Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
        All mimsy were the borogoves,
        And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2008

Our law school intramural B-ball team cleaned the clocks of the undergrad teams later 80's. Distressed would be a good way to describe the reaction.
          "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• RenoZag
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZAGLAWQB View Post
            . .. One memorable basketball game against a group of seniors(all of age of course), we barely won, but extended a "cordial" invitation to meet at the Bulldog. It was a Thursday night, a busy night always at the Dog in the 70s. For some reason we all started drinking wine that was the evening's special...9 of 15 ended up sick in the alley...some of whom are now partners. We still laugh about those first "interviews".
            Could the reason have been this ?

Ad from the Gonzaga Bulletin
            Last edited by RenoZag; 01-28-2014, 03:21 PM.
            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Zagceo
              Zag for Life
              • Nov 2013

I just saw the story about the Bulldog closing its doors very sad.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                Administrator
                • Apr 2009

My Campion House intramural team played the law school team during the mid 1990s. We got to the gym and saw a pair of recent All-WCC Zag guards warming up for the law school team - Felix McGowan and Geoff Goss. Both players had recently graduated and were enrolled at the law school.

Needless to say, my team had no players of that ability level. As the tallest player on my team at 6'1", I drew the honor of guarding the 6'5" McGowan, a great athlete with Raivio-esque shooting range. That went about as well as could be expected. After they built a quick twenty point lead, they stopped actively trying to score on us. Instead, Goss and McGowan played a game of H-O-R-S-E while we continued to defend them. They challenged each other to progressivley more difficult shots. With each shot, they politely asked us, if we intended to try to contest the shot. If we did, they would add, "Over the defender," to the description of the shot.

The game of H-O-R-S-E took forever. Those guys were amazing shots.
                “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• 229SintoZag
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
                  My Campion House intramural team played the law school team during the mid 1990s. We got to the gym and saw a pair of recent All-WCC Zag guards warming up for the law school team - Felix McGowan and Geoff Goss. Both players had recently graduated and were enrolled at the law school.

Needless to say, my team had no players of that ability level. As the tallest player on my team at 6'1", I drew the honor of guarding the 6'5" McGowan, a great athlete with Raivio-esque shooting range. That went about as well as could be expected. After they built a quick twenty point lead, they stopped actively trying to score on us. Instead, Goss and McGowan played a game of H-O-R-S-E while we continued to defend them. They challenged each other to progressivley more difficult shots. With each shot, they politely asked us, if we intended to try to contest the shot. If we did, they would add, "Over the defender," to the description of the shot.

The game of H-O-R-S-E took forever. Those guys were amazing shots.
                  Wasn't the name of that the A Well-Hung Jury? I seem to recall that being the name of the law school teams that were active when I was around campus...

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                    Administrator
                    • Apr 2009

Originally posted by 229SintoZag View Post
                    Wasn't the name of that the A Well-Hung Jury? I seem to recall that being the name of the law school teams that were active when I was around campus...
                    That sounds right. What years were you there?
                    “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

Working...
                    X