Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Lady Zags and No. 11/13 Sooners To Battle In WNIT Semifinals

OU wins 82-78...

I am so PROUD of our girls.....47 free throw attempts for OU....that is insanity....this is not right.....this is not basketball.....even with those odds against our girls, they nearly pulled it out....they can play with the best.....

Lady Zags called for 32 fouls...21 in the second half.

OU called for 22 fouls total...

Lady Zags shot 18 of 26 from the free throw line with several key misses in the 2nd half.

OU shot 34 of 49 from the free throw line...

love our ladies grit and spirit ... real proud of them
    thanks again for the updates
    humanity is one family ... with one heart

As I'm watching the stat tracker in the 2nd half I'm saying "don't leave it in the hands of the officials." Didn't see any of the game, but it's really hard to believe that the Zags are so deficient of foot speed & technique that they would commit so many more fouls than the Sooners.

Hold your heads up Ladies. Great effort.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Definitely sounded like some Oklahoma home cooking, and when given the chance you have to make those late free throws. Great game by the Zags. Too bad it couldn't have been a win. This should give the gals some real confidence for future games. Look out Stanford! Also, I found a spot in my house where the radio broadcast came in strong for the whole game featuring another great job by Steve Myklebust calling the action.

cavebear, I have a hard time getting radio reception here north of Spokane....but I have the Zag channel and you can get the audio thru that and its about $10 bucks a month and well worth it.....

Nice effort. Hope they don't have a letdown after a tough loss.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

For those of you without access to Zags local radio I jotted down some notes from Lisa Mispley-Fortier's postgame with Myklbust. Fortier noted OU is a very good basketball team and we were playing in a hostile arena. All in all we gave a solid effort. We did some uncharacteristic things after that last media timeout. We had a lotta people doing some good things. The Zags hustled, rebounded and defended well. Palmer is a good defender which a lot of people don't notice because of other parts of her game. Palmer played 36 minuntes in this game which is a lot as she usually plays in the low 20's. Kudron, Nilles and Sherbert really battled. Sherbert had 14 and 12 and really has a nose for the ball. Shaq played well considering if was her first game coming off a concussion, she had 7 points and has really improved. She is creating a niche for herself on this team. Fortier closed by noting OU really exposed us on defense by scoring over 80 points which we don't usually give up. That was an interesting comment considering a minute earlier she said we really defended well. That's it.

The fouls for the most part were earned through being out of position and/or over aggressive. It was easy to see how officials were calling the game.

Las Zagas let this one slip through their fingers and they know it. Learning experience? Not for this team more of a wake up call to be more focused.

No loss is really a good loss but Las Zagas now know how good they can be. Really Good!

Just my opinion.

Go!! Las Zagas!!!

The officiating was horrible and I'm not saying that because it appeared one-sided. Zags shot several airballs, more than I have ever seen and they started choking at the free throw line during the last 10 mins. They could have won this game.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

The Zags had 21 fouls called (to OU's 13) in the second half alone. Really poor officiating. Many, many phantom calls (after looking at the DVR replays) both ways. Almost pulled it out despite the zebras. This team will go far this season.

Post game quotes from OU Coach Coale, GU Coach Graves and more. A lot of good stuff here: http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArti...CLID=209307251

Box Score: http://www.soonersports.com/pdf9/2567595.pdf

We don't get to see many Lady Zag games out here in Colorado, but my daughter and I were able to watch this one on the Oklahoma sports channel as part of my DirecTV sports pack. My daughter has been to camp at GU several times and knows most of the players, so it was fun to see her pointing them out and telling me their strengths and weaknesses. The Lady Zags played quite well for most of the game, but could not hit their free throws or jump shots down the stretch. They are still a really good team and if not for some serious "home cookin'" from the refs would have won this game easily. The officiating was horrible both ways, but OU shot 49 free throws to 26 for GU!! Many of the fouls were of the phantom variety and you could tell that the GU girls were fully aware of what was going on out there. Coach Graves tried to take the high road, but you could tell that he was frustrated too. My daughter and I both thought the team played well and we are thinking of taking a road trip to see them play against BYU later in the year. Go Lady Zags!!
    Colorado Zag Fan

we need to pack the gym.....games like this help us to understand what a gem we have in the Lady Zags.......

Battle of the Ranked Opponents Falls Oklahoma's Way

NORMAN, Okla.Gonzaga University was on the tough end of what was a great early season women’s basketball game between two talented and top 25 institutions. The No. 25 Bulldogs, playing in the semifinals of the Preseason WNIT, dropped a heartbreaking 82-78 decision to No. 11 University of Oklahoma at the Lloyd Noble Center in Norman, Okla.

The Zags (2-1) held a slim lead for the majority of the contest – which had 21 lead changes and 14 ties – and even had a four-point edge on the Sooners with five minutes to play in the contest. Unfortunately Gonzaga was called for six of their 32 fouls in the final five minutes and went cold offensively, scoring only two points, hitting one of their final nine shots and missing four free throws.

Gonzaga still held a 3-point advantage – 78-75 with 3:25 remaining on the clock – on a layup by senior guard Haiden Palmer. After the Sooners (3-0) converted an old fashion 3-point play to tie the game, the Bulldogs again had the chance to regain the lead but Palmer missed two free throws and a lay-in opportunity after she grabbed the offensive board following her second missed free throw attempt.

Oklahoma’s Aaryn Ellenberg responded by hitting a baseline jumper with 1:56 to play to give the Sooners their first lead since the 14:23 mark of the second half at 80-78.

The Bulldogs had ample time to tie the contest and a great opportunity when sophomore center Shelby Cheslek was fouled and sent to the line with 42 ticks remaining. Cheslek, who had just reentered the game after sitting the majority of the second half with four fouls, missed both.

Another free throw by Oklahoma’s Kaylon Williams – her eighth of the contest - put the Sooners lead to three.

Palmer had a great look at a tying 3-pointer with 11 seconds left but it was short. Oklahoma would secure the victory with Ellenberg hitting one-of-two free throws in the final seconds.

Oklahoma hit just two field goals in the final 11:50 of the contest, both coming in the last 3:05 of the game. Gonzaga was called for 11 fouls during that stretch and the Sooners converted 15-of-20 free throws.

Gonzaga held the 40-38 halftime advantage and its largest lead of the contest was five, 45-40, with 18:27 to play in the game.

Palmer once again led the Bulldogs, scoring a team-high 19 points. She was one rebound shy of a double-double with nine, and added one assist and one steal. Junior guard Lindsay Sherbert came off the bench to chip in 14 points and a game-high 12 rebounds, while classmate Keani Albanez added 10 points.

The Sooners were led by Ellenberg with 21 points, Williams with 14 and Sharane Campbell with 13. Oklahoma finished the contest hitting 34-of-49 free throws.

The loss ended Gonzaga’s run in the Preseason WNIT. Oklahoma will face No. 5 University of Louisville for the championship, Sunday, Nov. 17. The Bulldogs next game is Wednesday, Nov. 20 when they host Eastern Washington University at the McCarthey Athletic Center.

Gonzaga Article Link

Gonzaga at Oklahoma Box Score