• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zag 77
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

A little Stromboli history

In the mood for something new? Try something old. That would be the stromboli sandwich at Mike’s Burger Royal on East Trent Avenue.

Article in Spokesman-Review.
  • Birddog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I remember Mike, Ray, Dora and the Model T well. Thanks for posting.

I grew up a block from the old "Freeze" and we always hung out there . When I was a Freshman at GU I was taking Italian 101 and most everybody in it was heading for Florence, about half of the class was Sophs. One day in the fall we had a young student assistant teacher that was from Italy and he opened the class for questions about Italy and anything Italian. I asked if the Stromboli sandwich was as popular there as it was here. He was puzzled and said he'd never heard of it except the island. At the same time a Sophomore female started to guffaw as did a couple others. She turned around and looked me in the eye and said Stromboli was the name of the people that owned the Dairy Freeze. I promptly informed her that she was full of it, that I personally knew them and that their name was Martire. No amount of debate could convince her otherwise. The place was aka "Stroms" by most GU students so I understood the confusion.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Comment

• RenoZag
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

There's a pizza place about a mile from home called " Nu Yawk Pizza." They do Stromboli and Calzone as well as very good pies. . .

I can't swear it's better than the ones I used to get at Pete's but they are pretty damn good.

Amazing how some "comfort foods" stick with you year after year.

Thanks for posting that link, from one Aliiance House scoundrel to another, '77.
      The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Birddog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Levy Restaurants who have the concession contract for the Chesapeake Arena will be serving a Stromboli sandwich this season. I am anxious to see if it is anything like the original. I'll let you know.
        Birddog

Comment

• Birddog
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Tried a Stromboli sandwich offered at the Chesaspeake Arena. It had some of the correct ingredients and bore a reasonable resemblance to the real deal but alas it was "stadium food" and was pretty bland. I wouldn't recommend.
          Birddog

Comment

Working...
          X