Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Gonzaga's Mount Rushmore

I think Hondo himself needs a spot on that Mount Rushmore. He has a bigger possee than any ex-player

Stockton, Burgess, Santangelo, Vandersloot
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

my criteria is the 4 players who have the most positive influence upon the mens basketball team program and reputation. thus while coach few and vandersloot are giants, they do not meet my criteria.

burgess was our greatest scorer, but outside of zag nation hardly anyone really knows who he is. his grand play and efforts on the court did not elevate Gonzaga's program and recognition across the nation.

the faces i'd chisel into a mountain side are Stockton, dickau, turiaf and Morrison.

Burgess, Stockton, Few, and Turiaf.

First three are no brainers. Last one, is because not only was he a great player, that man bleeds GU blue every day of his life. There is no greater ambassador for GU Hoops than Ronny.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    my criteria is the 4 players who have the most positive influence upon the mens basketball team program and reputation. thus while coach few and vandersloot are giants, they do not meet my criteria.

burgess was our greatest scorer, but outside of zag nation hardly anyone really knows who he is. his grand play and efforts on the court did not elevate Gonzaga's program and recognition across the nation.

the faces i'd chisel into a mountain side are Stockton, dickau, turiaf and Morrison.
    My only quibble would be this. Outside of Stockton, you don't get the other three if not for Few.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

for BB players
    Stockton, Burgess, Morrison and [big gap] take your pick (KO, Calvary, Turiaf, Dickau, Santangelo, Stepp)

for overall
    Stockton, Bing, Courtney, Morrison

Overall, might want to include Carl Maxey,1950 N.C.A.A. Boxing undefeated national champ, and Tony Canadeo(sp.)"the grey ghost of Gonzaga" The first, and one of ony 5 Green Bay Packers to have thier number retired.

Stockton, Morrison, Dickau, Turiaf

Combination of on the court contributions, impact on the community, and being recognizable. Turiaf gets the nod because he's representative of Gonzaga's international players.

Dickau, Turiaf, Olynyk & Morrison - Simply cause I want to see an artist tackle 60ft Sculptures of all that hair.

Default Three for sure

Burgess, Stockton, Morrison. If memory serves, Frank Burgess led the nation in scoring in '60-'61 seasons with over 32. ppg. Last I heard, he was and still is GU's all-time top scorer. All American in his jr. and sr. years. John S. averaged over 20 ppg at GU, holds NBA records for assists and steals, 10-time NBA All Star, member of the Naismith Memorial Hall of Fame, played on the USA Olympic All Star team. I believe Adam should be included as he averaged 28 ppg (led the nation), All American, and was the 2005-2006 National Player Of The Year. Those three brought "fame" and positive recogniton of sorts to Gonzaga. I believe if KO has a successful NBA career, and I believe he will, he will also be a candidate for the GU Hall of Fame.

The easy ones are Burgess and Stockton. Then Morrison and Turiaf. I'm going with Fitz for my 1st honorable mention.

Default Add Hank to my list

In addition to Burgess, Stocks and Morrison, add GU coach Hank Anderson to my list - for longevity if for no other reason. Hank coached at GU for 21 years, 1951 to 1972. His record was 290-272, a 52% win record. During his tenure he brought in Burgess and 7'3" Jean Claude Lefevre. Seven-footers were a real rarity in those days. Hank was a great guy and mentor and was the starter in bringing GU to the national scene. Oh, and Coach Few, when he retires should be a shoe-in to the GU HOF.

I don't know as much of the history as y'all. But, I am surprised at the lack of support for Calvary. Yes, we had fantastic guards at the beginning of our current run, so much so that they near cancel each other out. The common denominator for the first 3 sweet sixteens was Calvary.

Calvary brought a big time - any league - toughness that the team needed to ride all that talent (not that he didn't have skills - he did!), I would venture that without him, those teams do not succeed like they did. Hard to imagine those teams being intimidated against whomever when Casey threw the jersey on.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    My only quibble would be this. Outside of Stockton, you don't get the other three if not for Few.
    like I said my choices are just a players list.
    besides if not for coach few, then its any 3 other players that coach smith or jones recruited to the school.

but I totally take your point, long island, the zag program and good reputation is built upon the shoulders of coach few.

Default Rushmore

I would think you chisel in the All Americans, Burgess, Dickau, Morrison, and Olynyk. Who says it has to be limited to four? Add a fifth for good measure, Stockton.

if we are talking hair ...

we have to talk about Matt Bouldin

I can't believe that anyone would leave Adam Morrison off of this list. That's absurd. Nobody has been a "face" of this program as it exists now more than him.

Morrison would have been on my Top Scorers Rushmore.... Stockton wouldn't have...since everyone has their own criteria, you get a variety of lists.

If I had a face list (Television) it would be Morrison, Dan, Kelly, Stockton..

No problem..

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I don't know as much of the history as y'all. But, I am surprised at the lack of support for Calvary. Yes, we had fantastic guards at the beginning of our current run, so much so that they near cancel each other out. The common denominator for the first 3 sweet sixteens was Calvary.

Calvary brought a big time - any league - toughness that the team needed to ride all that talent (not that he didn't have skills - he did!), I would venture that without him, those teams do not succeed like they did. Hard to imagine those teams being intimidated against whomever when Casey threw the jersey on.
    +1.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    +1.
    Thanks Maynard. I can see good points made with regard to 6-10 player/coaches. I thought of it this way; If you could only use faces, which four would you use to answer "What is a Zag"?

I know that is a slightly different question (and would have a lot of the same people) but looked at it that way, seems impossible to not have Casey there.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Default Bingo

Quote Originally Posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
    Stockton, Burgess, Santangelo, Vandersloot
    Stockton, Burgess, Courtney (only college player - male or female - to have a career of 2,000 points and 1,000 assists) all belong.

The fourth is tough..good cases can be made for Calvary, Morrison, Turiaf, Dickau, Frahm..... but I don't think the snowballing of success the last 15 years is possible without Santangelo. He'd be the 4th IMO.