Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga's Mount Rushmore

Default Gonzaga's Mount Rushmore

So, I was listening to ESPN radio tonight, and the host was asking if Mariano Rivera deserves to be on the Yankee's 'Mount Rushmore'. In the end, he decided that there wasn't enough room for Rivera because you had 'Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle, and Gehrig'. Then he picked a Mount Rushmore for the Dallas Cowboys--- Roger Staubach, Emmit Smith, Troy Aikman, and Drew Pearson.

Well, then the host asked for listeners to call in and give their 'Mount Rushmore' for whatever team they followed. I instantly dialed...just because, but while ringing, I had to pause.....WHO IS ON GONZAGA'S Mount Rushmore?? Probably luckily for me, my call never made it through.

But ever since then, I've been trying to decide who would be on the Gonzaga edition of Mount Rushmore. Who is on yours?
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Frank Burgess, John Stockton,.....and....

Bing Crosby? (didn't say it had to be sports, and he was the first famous Zag that I ever heard of)

<rolls eyes> @ Will........

Default To Many

We'd need a whole mountain range...that many super players, coaches and alums. Nice Ring to....Gonzaga Range!
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    That is EXACTLY what I said in my head....but then I got stuck there. Adam Morrison crossed my mind briefly, but I think there are guys that meant more to this program...I just can't say who exactly....haha.

Stepp??
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Didn't ever see Burgess play, Saw J Stockton as a pro...have to say (if the Binger isn't good enough) our first NCAA POY, Adam Morrison. He may not have been the best, but he is the most famous (until after KO's tenure with the Celtics).

Stockton, Morrison, burgess I guess, and Santangelo

All time NBA great, all time college great, burgess because apparently he was good at some point, and Santangelo for building the MAC

Burgess was not just good he was great for 3 years.

Few, Stockton, Burgess, and Calvary
    "I enjoyed watching them play more than watching us play," Izzo said after watching his team eke out a 75-71 win over Gonzaga. "I thought they punched us in the mouth, picked us up and punched us in the mouth again."

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Bing Crosby? (didn't say it had to be sports, and he was the first famous Zag that I ever heard of)
    Didn't he start what has become known as the Pebble Beach Pro-Am?

Default for me,

Stockton, Dickau, Turiaf, Bouldin.

(pargo, stepp, ammo, calvary, santangelo, et el could be up there as well...too tough to call)
    “You’ve got to hit the Zag standard.”

And if it happens, those rites of Autumn become the rites of Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    Didn't he start what has become known as the Pebble Beach Pro-Am?
    Yes he did. It's the AT&T National Pro-Am.

Bing is a member of the World Golf Hall of Fame. I vote for Bing.

Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    And couple players yet to be named ..... way down the road...

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Burgess was not just good he was great for 3 years.
    I am no expert..but IMHO he was the best by far at Gonzaga...and that is why his number is up there.

Hondo, with the three point basket, he might have added a additional 10-15% to his scoring averages and totals.
    Last edited by bartruff1; 09-28-2013 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gozagswoohoo View Post
    So, I was listening to ESPN radio tonight, and the host was asking if Mariano Rivera deserves to be on the Yankee's 'Mount Rushmore'. In the end, he decided that there wasn't enough room for Rivera because you had 'Ruth, DiMaggio, Mantle, and Gehrig'. Then he picked a Mount Rushmore for the Dallas Cowboys--- Roger Staubach, Emmit Smith, Troy Aikman, and Drew Pearson.

Well, then the host asked for listeners to call in and give their 'Mount Rushmore' for whatever team they followed. I instantly dialed...just because, but while ringing, I had to pause.....WHO IS ON GONZAGA'S Mount Rushmore?? Probably luckily for me, my call never made it through.

But ever since then, I've been trying to decide who would be on the Gonzaga edition of Mount Rushmore. Who is on yours?
    That radio dude is crazy if he doesn't think Rivera belongs on the Yankees 'Mt Rushmore'. I hate the Yankees but I still have to rank Rivera among the best pitchers who ever played the game.

GU: Burgess, Stockton, Krause, Few
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Burgess, Santangelo, Morrison and Vandersloot

Default There are only 4 on Rushmore...

My Yankee's would have to be Ruth, Dimaggio, Mantle...and Lou...with a honorable mention for Ford..

Don't forget the Playboy All American

Morrison, Stepp, Dickau, Santangelo

John Stockton is heads and shoulders above everyone else. Next, IMO comes Adam Morrison. I choose him second because next to John Stockton's influence on recruits, I believe Adam has had the most influence on elite HS players. IMO. Kelly Olynyk comes next. How this young athlete transformed his game completely is just an amazing story. He proved what can be done if someone is willing to do the hard work in an offseason. Like Adam, he too was a lottery pick. Kelly led the Zags to both a #1 ranking in the polls, and a #1 seed for the NCAA tournament. Had Gary Bell not gotten injured, the Zags would have done much better in the NCAA tournament last year. Dan Dickau is my last choice but he's right there on the same level as Kelly and Adam. All three of these guys made first team All America. Cant top that. Dan D. also carved out a pretty good professional NBA career for himself.

Go Zags!!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Vermillion, Burgess, Stockton and ................................
    I'm real tempted to pick Stepp or Santangelo but the 4th is a toughie. I'm surprised WooHoo hasn't photoshopped his picks yet.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Stockton and Morrison are one and two. I'll put in Burgess as a #3 and round it off with Rillie for carrying us to the tourney for the very first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Vermillion, Burgess, Stockton and ................................
    I'm real tempted to pick Stepp or Santangelo but the 4th is a toughie. I'm surprised WooHoo hasn't photoshopped his picks yet.
    My problem with Vermillion and Burgess is that few people would ever recognize them. I think that those who find a place on Mt Rushmore should be very recognizable. Imagine what it would be like to drive by Mt Rushmore and ask, who are those guys? And, neither of them played in a conference, nor played against the calliber of teams that those I mentioned have played against.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Back in the day Hank Anderson took his team on an east coast swing and played the top teams of the time. Burgess almost always had the toughest D assignment. One night at Providence, Hank wanted Burgess to focus on scoring and told Frank not to guard All American Johnny Egan but rather take the other guard who turn out to be Lenny Wilkens. On the same trip the Zags played U. Of Detroit, St. John's, And Xavier all in the span of 5 days. At the time those were top notch teams.

Frank also played against a still very good USF, two games against a very good Seattle U team, 4 games against Portland who was also very good at the time, Washington State, and in the Rose City Tournament that included, Iona, Santa Clara and Portland. Because of segregation in much of the southern part of the US many of the finest basketball players of the time found their way to small private colleges in the north like Seattle U, Portland, and for a time Gonzaga.