Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Univ of South Alabama for BIS: your reactions please

Default Univ of South Alabama for BIS: your reactions please

What do you think?
    Last edited by BobZag; 07-01-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Default A Step back

This is the best we could come up with...wow.

Very disappointed in the selection. I want to spend my money watching a Georgetown or Louisville etc .

Be untruthful if I said anything other than disappointing
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Default Going to be a spotty Arena.

Arizona 2 years ago, K State last year which was rocking! and then....S Alabama....? huh

I would like to hear the thinking behind this, very confused and like to think that we could have found a higher caliber team to play. I don't like the Saint Mary's looking approach to our schedule next season, leaves little room for error.

Room for improvement -- I was hoping for Duke.

Gonzaga vs. U.S.A.

Sounds good to me.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

My reaction is simple. For many years I have paid a lot of money to have friends and family join Mrs.'75 and me in Seattle to watch the BIS. In the early days Little '75 traveled from Spokane with her GU dorm friends, but we always stay at the Washington Athletic Club and we spend lots of money goofing around the Pike Place Market and eating at Tom Douglas restaurants, and "the girls" shopped at Nordstrom's or whatever the younger trendier folks do now.

This year we won't be going due to the insulting talent at the BIS.

I wish no harm to anyone at GU or that company in Arizona that arrange the BIS, but I just don't care.

I am sure there are thousands of GU nation fans who will take my place and probably spend 10x the money we spent, but I feel very sorry and somewhat resentful for the end of a great event.

On the good side, since the BIS sucks, I have told my family I am taking them all to Maui.

Go Bulldogs!
    Last edited by 75Zag; 07-01-2013 at 04:44 PM.
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Southern Alabama is a junior college, right?
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

Default Oh boy

So many other options... I don't know how this choice can be justified as the best one.
    "If you don't know that you then dont know anything about basketball, you don't know anything about life" Adam Morrison

Zagfaninnc is no longer in NC, back in Spokane

The big name fell through. Zags scrambled. USA was all that remained. Disappointing but understandable. Getting a decent crowd now will be problematic. Bummer.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

If this doesn't end the BiS, it should. Supposed to be a showcase, not an embarrassment. Nothing to win; a great deal already lost in fan disappointment.
    Better to lose gamely to top competition than to sink to this level. As a schedule filler when the students are on holiday break and no better opponent can be found, okay; but this? Shameful and insulting to all.

Default Originally thought this was a joke

I live in Seattle and primarily lurk on this board. Every year I excitedly look forward to attending The BIS. Someone really dropped the ball(S. Alabama?) I'm sad to say I won' be going this year. I just don' t get it!

Quote Originally Posted by ZagFanInNC View Post

So many other options... I don't know how this choice can be justified as the best one.
    Just curious, what other options are you referring to?
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

South Alabama, not southern. Sorry to nitpick, but if we don't like gunzogga...

And I'll skip this one, like I did Davidson. Unless I find a a $5 ticket might as well watch tv.

Stuff happens with scheduling. Not what they had in mind I'm sure, and nothing to get worked up about.

Quote Originally Posted by TravelinZag View Post
    If this doesn't end the BiS, it should. Supposed to be a showcase, not an embarrassment. Nothing to win; a great deal already lost in fan disappointment.
    Better to lose gamely to top competition than to sink to this level. As a schedule filler when the students are on holiday break and no better opponent can be found, okay; but this? Shameful and insulting to all.
    They had to get someone or cancel the event. As BZ said, "the big name cancelled".

I'd like to know who cancelled.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    Just curious, what other options are you referring to?
    Angelo, you are much better connected than 99.999% of us, but thinking back to the line in the movie where the actor asked "would you sleep with me for 1 million dollars" and she said yes and then he said " how about a hundred dollars" and she said "what kind of a girl do you think I am", I find it unbelievable that a Sweet 16 Team from the 2013 NCAAs could not have been coaxed to Seattle in December with the right combination of money, publicity and return-game action.

Again I defer to your super-secret inside information, but I am curious if every Sweet 16 team said NO, or whether GU and the BIS sponsors just could not come up with the combination of cash and return games.

Indiana was on my mind, and my little friend at Nike said they were ready, willing and able except for some GU people puffing their chests and denying money and return games.

Go Bulldogs! See You in Maui!

If they hold the Battle in Seattle at the South Alabama campus, in Mobile, my daughter and her kids could go!

I'd rather play Shoreline Community College

What will their strategy be on ticket prices? Maintain the same and get the core Seattle fan base that will come anyway? Lower them to get higher numbers? I like my Seattle relatives, but a chance to see them is the only thing making me remotely consider traveling from Portland to Seattle for this event. I love the Zags, but South Alabama isn't enough to get me to pay for tickets, gas, food/drinks etc. in Seattle. I'm sure the organizers did the best they could if someone dropped, but this is the kind of game that could have a couple year impact on the event unless it is a real marquee game again in 2014.

I totally understand that if a "name" school canceled there were few good options left. But, I could think of one.

For one year only, move the WSU game to Seattle. The BIS is not just a chance for our west slope friends to see the game but to showcase GU generally. It only works if it is a game big enough to draw interest.

A game against the Cougs would be a better quality game than South Ala. and it would create tremendous interest. Since GU is the host team, it could give all its fans a shot at tickets up until a sell-out or give remainders to WSU. Sure, tickets would get to Cougs - so what? The game would be sold out, neither team would have huge costs, it would be an event in Seattle and fulfill all the original goals. Oh, and I suspect the Cougs would happily oblige.

Move the South Alabama game to campus (not that we really want to give up the WSU game either).
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Default Wow Wow Wow

How about a 4 game Round Robin with SU, WSU, GU and UW.

I know nothing about sports marketing, but I think I could personally sell out that weekend IF the WSLCB allows me to sell beer at the event. And if anybody with money and power is listening, I might be willing to gamble my finances and give it a shot.

Go Gulldogs!

Default This is absurd

If we are going to agree to play a school like South Alabama from the Sun Belt conference whose RPI last year is around 160, then by all means make it a guaranty game in the Kennel and play it quietly, take the money made by picking the pockets of the season ticket holders, and move on. Giver your guys their "breather" game between the Goliaths on the preseason schedule. Tune up. Work on some new sets. Get some marginal guys some time to see if they have a slot in the rotation once the season starts in earnest.

But to play a team like this in a highly touted and promoted slot in Seattle?

Gonzaga would have done better to just skip the BIS for a year and resume the tradition in December 2014. In scheduling and promotions, rule #1 should be "First do no harm." Kind of like medicine and a lot of other things.

This does significant harm to Gonzaga's brand, its image, its perception, etc.

My guess is that Perkins, Wiltjer and any number of others considering the Zags may not be overly impressed.

At least Davidson and UMass had done something in their program's recent histories to merit plausibility.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post
    Gonzaga would have done better to just skip the BIS for a year and resume the tradition in December 2014. In scheduling and promotions, rule #1 should be "First do no harm." Kind of like medicine and a lot of other things.
    This is the final year of the State Farm sponsorship of the BIS. As the BIS sinks slowly beneath the waves like the Titanic, I can only wish that we had the warm sweet grasp of Kate Winslet to keep the special parts of GU basketball from sinking.

Go Bulldogs! See You in Maui!

In an ideal world, I would have all 10 fingers on my left hand so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.