Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kevin Pangos To University Games for Canada

Quote Originally Posted by ZagNative View Post
    I assume you're talking about the USA University Games team, not the U-19 team. They beat UAE 140-46 this morning. Box Score
    I know this sounds mean but it isn't meant to be - I am surprised that UAE was able to get 40 pts on the board. Very small country in a soccer crazed area of the world playing the US in basketball - Kinda like if Canada played The Sudan in hockey at the Olympics.

Of course, I didn't see the game but it sure looks like the US coach should have called the dogs off WAY early - taken up all the shot clock before shooting (shorter clock, I know), kinda embarrassing beating a team by almost 100.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

The University Games site seems to be down right now, but this tweet just popped up:
    Canada 2013 ‏@CDNUniversiade 12m

MBB: Canada opens its game against the UAE on an 18-0 run and leads 31-12 at the end of 1st Q action. @CanBball #GoCanada
    Retweeted by Canada Basketball

Half-time:
    Canada 2013 ‏@CDNUniversiade 11m

MBB: Canada leads UAE 67-27 at halftime. Kyle Wiltjer with 16 pts, Brady Heslip 15, Mangisto Arop 9, Dwight Powell, 9.
    University Games site is still down.

Final Score: Canada 137 UAE 43

No boxscore yet....assuming minutes and stats were pretty spread out, with even the scrubbs getting in on the action...

Helsip - 22pts
    Wiltjer 22 pts
    Powell 21 pts
    Bachynski -12 pts, 17rbds

Smile

At 182cm, Kevin is just too short, those Arab kids just shut him down....
    allah akabar !!....that ought to wake up those guys at NSA....

Game story at basketball.ca
    Kentucky Wildcat Kyle Wiltjer tied Burlington, Ontario’s Heslip for the game-high in points with 22 each. Heslip continued to have the hot hand from long-range and finished with four three-pointers in the match. Dwight Powell finished with 21 points on an efficient 10-for-12 performance – the same shooting display put on by Wiltjer. Calgary, Alta. native Jordan Bachynski ended with a double-double of 12 points and 17 rebounds. The game’s statistics can be viewed here.

“The first thing that we focus on is our defence and that really leads to easy baskets. We’re an unselfish team. We have very talented players so we can all share the ball," Wiltjer told Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS), when asked about the team's 26 assists in the game.

Following a training day, the DMNT will resume the competition on Wednesday with a bout against Australia; the match is set to tip-off at 5:00 a.m. (ET). Australia owns a 2-0 record following victories over the Czech Republic and Sweden. Canada plays the Czech side on Thursday before wrapping-up the preliminary round on Friday against the United States.

Pangos only played 11 minutes? Is he really just the back-up point guard for Canada?
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

My guess would be that they were blowing them out and they gave him time off, but not sure.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    At 182cm, Kevin is just too short, those Arab kids just shut him down....
    allah akabar !!....that ought to wake up those guys at NSA....
    I hope the NSA is not too alarmed as it's said by every Muslim that prays multiple times per prayer timing (and there are five of those timings per day).

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    My guess would be that they were blowing them out and they gave him time off, but not sure.
    Canada put their Scrubbs in, not much PT for Kevin.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
    Pangos only played 11 minutes? Is he really just the back-up point guard for Canada?
    Few has no clue...he has Kevin on a very short leash...

Quote Originally Posted by azzagfan View Post
    I hope the NSA is not too alarmed as it's said by every Muslim that prays multiple times per prayer timing (and there are five of those timings per day).
    This topic is probably not appropriate for most here at GUBoards. However it is of truly utmost importance to our world. It is amazing when any muslim country fields a team in anything. Even soccer. It is a real step forward and should be supported.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Few has no clue...he has Kevin on a very short leash...
    I think Few had a loose leash early this season. Then at Pullman and against Illinois he tightened up. Then he slowly let go until the tournament and he stepped back into his rigid and tight coaching. You could see it in our team.

Few is learning when to give the horses the reigns and when not to. Plus it is different for each player and team. Few seems to err on the side of caution and stricter rules for PT.

However, maybe it is true that Kevin was benched in order to let the deep bench play more. I hope this is the case. Yet Wiltjer played a lot.
    So.....things that make you go, hmmmm.

they won by like 1000...KP's the leader as far as I can tell.
    Go Zags!!!

You guys worry too much.

Pangos is not just the starting PG, he is the only PG on the roster. Not sure which of the many SGs was playing point for 29 minutes today, but it doesn't matter given the level of competition.

No one got more than 21 minutes, and Triano probably gave Pangos only 11 in part to have more time to see who the best option is for back up PG.

In the close games I expect Pangos to get at least 35 minutes.

Maybe he is sick ...the water in Uruguay is not good.

94 points is UAE's UNlucky number. 2 games in a row. Ouch.

Maybe he is sick ...the water in Uruguay is not good.
    If he flew 9000 miles from Russia to Uruguay for a glass of water he was probably late to a team meeting and got benched.

Stay thirsty my friend...gezzz....four completely inane posts and I couldn't get ZN to even take the bait...she is on to me, I am afraid.

I promise to be good.
    Last edited by bartruff1; 07-09-2013 at 05:17 AM.

Canada over Australia today, 92-83. Box Score here.

Kevin with 9 pts., 1 rebound, 4 assists, a steal, and a couple of to's. Brady Heslip with the hot hand again, with 18 points.

However, maybe it is true that Kevin was benched in order to let the deep bench play more. I hope this is the case. Yet Wiltjer played a lot.
    So.....things that make you go, hmmmm.
    Kevin got 11 mins.
    Wiltjer got 14 mins.

Three minute difference in a blowout. 14 minutes is not a lot of minutes.
    ----
    Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

In this interview Triano confirms that a few players from the development team will likely be in camp for the senior team. Senior camp to start Aug. 1.

http://ca.sports.yahoo.com/news/tria...211037283.html

Game story on basketball.ca:
    Team Australia extended its lead to eight – the team’s highest of the game – to begin the second half, but a resilient DMNT squad chipped away at the deficit throughout the third quarter. A late Dwight Powell basket knotted the match, but the Australians finished the quarter ahead 67-65. The final frame started with another push from Australia, but this time, they could not hold back the Red and White response. Mullings tied the game at 77 and Kevin Pangos went to work from there, recording seven points and three assists in the final five minutes of the match to lead Canada to the win.

Burlington, Ont. product Brady Heslip continued his fine play in the tournament and led Canada in scoring for the third time in three games. The sharpshooter finished with 18 points and now has 13 three-pointers in the competition. Mullings ended one rebound shy of a double-double to accompany his 15 points. Acadia Axemen forward Owen Klassen registered nine points and ten rebounds in the contest. The DMNT outrebounded Australia 53-37 and held a distinct 58-28 margin in points scored in the paint. Full statistics from the match can be viewed here.

Team Canada will face a 2-1 Czech Republic side on Thursday with tip-off slated for 12:30 p.m. (ET). The DMNT will finish its preliminary round schedule with a match-up against the United States on Friday at 5:00 a.m. (ET).