Thread: NCAA tweaks charge/block foul

Default NCAA tweaks charge/block foul

In an effort to give scoring a bump the NCAA tweaked the charge/block foul. Also instituted a 10 second back court rule for the women and made some other minor changes:

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...ges-ncaa-hoops

I am thinking that next the NCAA will make it a foul to touch anyone with the words Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, or North Carolina on their jerseys.

Just an idea - to protect the integrity of the game.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

It will also negate all fouls against teams making late spirited comebacks so as not to disrupt the flow of the game.

Wow Somebody finally read the rule book! No more hand checks. No more arm bars. I like it.

Go!! Zags!!!

Default No UCLA?

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    I am thinking that next the NCAA will make it a foul to touch anyone with the words Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, or North Carolina on their jerseys.

Just an idea - to protect the integrity of the game.

Go Bulldogs!
    How the mighty have fallen.

the charge/block tweak seems legit. I hate when they count the basket AND call a charge. The only two times I have seen that call have been against us in WCC play (I watch A LOT of college bb besides GU) but it shouldn't be possible.

I was getting tired of defenders stepping in late, acting, and getting the call. If there's any doubt over whether the defender is in position/feet set, the call should go against them.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Does this mean I will no longer feel like an idiot the next time I go to a women's game, stand up, and yell for a 10 second call?

When it comes to an elbow above the shoulders, referees will be allowed to use a video monitor to determine the severity of the blow. If deemed inadvertent, the referee could call a player-control foul or even nothing.

Previously, a referee was required to call a flagrant-1 or flagrant-2. A flagrant-1 results in two free throws and possession for the offended team. A flagrant-2 adds an ejection for the offending player.
    If the refs go to the monitor, and the replay reveals that the offensive player was fouled before he threw his elbow, the refs should be able to call a foul on the defensive player. The reason why this silly rule is out of control is because too many refs in tie up situations are "looking for the elbow" instead of focusing on who committed the first foul, which is often the defender....especially in late game situations when trailing teams are fouling on purpose to stop the clock.

The charge/block and elbows thing reminds Zagco of how, in football, a player running the ball often ducks his head into the defender right before contact. When headshots became emphasized, there were calls being made against those defenders for hitting the offensive player's head. Ridiculous. Zagco was relieved when the rule was changed to recognize that offensive players can often cause that very contact by leading with their heads.

In hoops, if a player is going up for a shot and a defender moves quickly in front of him or her, there is going to be elbow contact to the head, but the fault lies with the defensive player.

Zagco is in favor of protecting heads in all sports, but he feels that the the person actually at fault for the contact should guilty and that includes the person who gets his noggin' knocked.