Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Top play of all time?

Default Top play of all time?

What is your top Gonzaga basketball play of all time?

Mine was against pepperdine in like 2000-2001 at gu. Dickau had the ball in the corner looking at spink in the post. He started dribbling back to the top and suddenly executed a ridiculous no look behind the back bounce pass to spink. as soon as mark caught it he too did a no look pass. This went straight to a wide open anthony reason about 3 feet from the hoop. Crazy athletic dunk ensues. Crowd goes nuts. Total elapsed time on the play had to be like 3 seconds. Wish I could find video of it. Note that yes memory is unreliable so hopefully I got all the details right from a 12 year old game.

1. Caseys tip-in vs Florida.

2. There was a game in K1 same year. A ball got loose around mid-court & started getting pinballed all over the place. The Zags get an easy score at the end of the action but what was memorable is that during the free-for-all all 5 Zags in the game hit the deck going after the loose ball.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

1. KP's pass to Elias last year for the Alleyoop dunk!

Default BS

Steppe, banker, overtime, Zona/6 NBA guys, gut wrencher, never more proud to be a Zags fan

Stand alone play (casting aside the wider game implications, the importance of the tourney games, etc):

Matt inbounds to E.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hl74GK6zoF0

For me, it has to be Will Foster blocking Samhan. It make me laugh every time I watch it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zuztT2wpxow
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Early November throwaway game a few years back. Foster has the ball about three feet from the basket on the baseline, getting swarmed hard by two or three defenders, doesn't know what in the living hell to do with it. So he looks down and smacks some poor kid in the face with the ball, then passes it off. Seeing the confusion on his face in person has stuck with me to this day.

Gotta be the runner/tip in by Casey.

I still get chills watching/hearing it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DdXeWvucvH8

Didn't Morrison hit a winning jumper at the buzzer in a Battle of Seattle? I think I was there with my Mom, unless I was not.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Yes 75 you were there, we were all there and that is my favorite play also because everyone in the building knew what was going to happen and nobody could stop it.

Default Reason

Does anyone have video of, I think it was Anthony Reason's epic, monster dunk on the road against either Pepp or LMU circa 2000 or 2002?

I cannot even be sure it was him, but I am pretty sure it was.

In any event, that is one of my favorites, and certainly worthy of consideration.

Anthony had more than a few monster dunks. The one I recall the best was with about 1 second left before half time at St. Mary's in a tight game
    a Zag shot was missed and the ball rebounds 3 feet to the front of the basket. Anthony stretches with his right hand, grabs the ball and with a windmill motion flushes it down as the buzzer goes off to end the half. Brilliant play that I'm sure was a dagger to the Gael heart in that game.

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Anthony had more than a few monster dunks. The one I recall the best was with about 1 second left before half time at St. Mary's in a tight game
    a Zag shot was missed and the ball rebounds 3 feet to the front of the basket. Anthony stretches with his right hand, grabs the ball and with a windmill motion flushes it down as the buzzer goes off to end the half. Brilliant play that I'm sure was a dagger to the Gael heart in that game.
    That is the one I am thinking of. I guess I am just getting foggy on my opponents--I could have sworn it was one of the LA teams.

2 Calvary plays: The tip in v. Florida and the broken backboard v. New Mexico in the old Boone Street Barn.

Also, Erroll Knight had a dunk in the old Kennel where he took off from about the free throw line extended on the left side and just hammered it home. I can't recall which game it was or the year. Anyone remember the details?

Default In no particular order

1. Adam Morrison's bank in, three pointer against OK St to win it has to be the loudest basket ever.

2. "The Runner"

3. Any of Pargos' explosive power slam dunks.

4. Meech's end to end bucket to win it against Western Kentucky, and Pangos's end to end to win it against WSU.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Steppe, banker, overtime, Zona/6 NBA guys, gut wrencher, never more proud to be a Zags fan
    Leave it to you to pick a game that they lost.

just kidding, totally kidding. I actually agree that that is one of my favorite plays, I swear it is going in each time, I too was never prouder of the team.

I would have to say either the runner or Elias's dunk were probably over that but not much.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Excellent posts by all. I wanted to add another one I just remembered:

1999-2000 season. Home game.

Richie Frahm gets the ball stolen when GU is on offense. The dude sprints down and goes up for a dunk. Frahm hustles like he was Mike Hart and blocks it from behind on the way up for the dunk. Then Frahm gets the rebound, leads a fast break and hits a 3 on the break.

Many great ones here. Seeing as most of the best ones have been mentioned, I'll add a couple:

-Heytvelt's epic swat of Hansbrough at MSG (helped that this game was our biggest win ever besides the S16 v Florida)

-Pargo's coast to coast slam @ SMC in 2007. Refs gave SMC the game, but that was an amazing dunk.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

From the lead in, my first thought was Hamlet (or MacBeth) with Gray and Olynyk. Then I read more and realized it was 'on the court' plays. I had forgotten the Fosterizing of Samhan...agree that is right there at the top. Mine probably would be the Heytfelt Dunk off the opening tip.

Speaking of Josh--how about the McDonald House game where an inbound pass under the Zag basket was a high lob to Josh who soared to get the ball then with one hand flushed it home. Awesome dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by hondo View Post
    Speaking of Josh--how about the McDonald House game where an inbound pass under the Zag basket was a high lob to Josh who soared to get the ball then with one hand flushed it home. Awesome dunk.
    I believe that was the preseason NIT against Baylor. Monster slam.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Ira Brown slam I believe in the kennel. Don't remember who it was against.

Default Just memorable...

Brody Angley (Bronco Fame) fouling Steven Gray past mid court with no time left, then Steven makes both free throws to send it to OT -- Zags win.
    Last edited by 77Zag; 06-18-2013 at 01:52 PM.
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Default Not that long ago...

Mike Hart pressures Dellavadova near midcourt, causing him to reverse direction and get picked clean by Olynyk, who breaks away for the dunk.

Quote Originally Posted by 77Zag View Post
    Brody Angley (Bronco Fame) fouling Steven Gray past mid court with no time left to, then Steven makes both free throws to send it to OT -- Zags win.
    That one terrified me. We had no business winning that game. The poor SC kid Brody just had a lapse which was very rare for him.