Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WARNING* Bleacher Report*WARNING

Default WARNING* Bleacher Report*WARNING

10 Best Coaches in CBB Without a National Title

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...l-title/page/9
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

actually not bad for bleacher report.

Default Zag Bias?

Few's 6th at best..and I'm being kind.

Bo Ryan, Beilein, and Stevens should all be ahead of him. With Crean getting Indiana back on track and Smart getting more years under his belt, they'll both jump over Few as well.

Few has peaked. I'd take everyone off of this list over Few to lead the Zags expcept for Huggy and Montgomery (Huggins is a bit older and Montgomery isn't a favorite of mine).

I'm pretty sure I wouldn't take Wright over Few, and Ryan and possibly Crean seem like they'd be more lateral moves to me. The biggest thing we'd have to remember isn't necessarily if they're a better coach than Few, but if they'd be better at GU.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I hear you, and I wouldn't recommend Ryan or Crean to leave their jobs, but I'm tired of the lack of fire from Few. I don't think he inspires the guys when needed. It's not that I think the guys aren't extremely self-motivated, but sometimes you need your coach to light a fire under you. Just my personal opinion, but I think all of the aforementioned coaches do more with less at their programs.

I don't love the 'they wouldn't be better at GU' argument just because I think they could all settle in, and eventually, the program would take on their personality/coaching style.

The fact remains that we won't replace him, and I'm just bitter about it. I think Few knows his limitations as a coach/motivator and would never risk leaving, underperforming, and getting canned at a school with less patience/higher expectations than GU. So I suppose that leaves me hopelessly disgruntled with our coaching situation for the future.

Maybe Few will develop some fire? Or implement a defensive system that doesn't allow every team to play to their offensive strength? (ex. Wichita State -3's, Illinois - B Paul dominating the ball, too many others to count over many years). I guess anything is possible, but I doubt it.

I love the Zags, and it kills me to not have a stone-cold killer to lead the program. With Few, we will never reach our full potential.

Rant over.

Quote Originally Posted by 530ZAG View Post
    I hear you, and I wouldn't recommend Ryan or Crean to leave their jobs, but I'm tired of the lack of fire from Few. I don't think he inspires the guys when needed. It's not that I think the guys aren't extremely self-motivated, but sometimes you need your coach to light a fire under you. Just my personal opinion, but I think all of the aforementioned coaches do more with less at their programs.

I don't love the 'they wouldn't be better at GU' argument just because I think they could all settle in, and eventually, the program would take on their personality/coaching style.

The fact remains that we won't replace him, and I'm just bitter about it. I think Few knows his limitations as a coach/motivator and would never risk leaving, underperforming, and getting canned at a school with less patience/higher expectations than GU. So I suppose that leaves me hopelessly disgruntled with our coaching situation for the future.

Maybe Few will develop some fire? Or implement a defensive system that doesn't allow every team to play to their offensive strength? (ex. Wichita State -3's, Illinois - B Paul dominating the ball, too many others to count over many years). I guess anything is possible, but I doubt it.

I love the Zags, and it kills me to not have a stone-cold killer to lead the program. With Few, we will never reach our full potential.

Rant over.
    Wow. You make some good points but leave out a lot of upside, too. Fire him? Wow.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

"lack of fire"? Seriously? Just because he's not all demonstrative doesn't mean he doesn't have fire. Also worth mentioning is that none of those coaches would leave their current jobs for GU. As such, we're pretty much left with Few, downgrading, or taking a flyer on someone who will probably be worse, has a small chance of being as good, and an even smaller chance of being better.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Default any stock tips ?

Bo Ryan, Beilein, and Stevens should all be ahead of him. With Crean getting Indiana back on track and Smart getting more years under his belt, they'll both jump over Few as well.

Few has peaked. I'd take everyone off of this list over Few to lead the Zags expcept for Huggy and Montgomery (Huggins is a bit older and Montgomery isn't a favorite of mine).
    You clearly know what you are talking about and I want to cash in. I'm stuck in BRKb and am tired of the 80% return. thanks
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Unreal expectations will lead to disappointment.

Many fans do not have the ability to take a step back or look at the big picture.

They need to blame someone for what they view as an issue-- "If i can place blame on someone, then I will feel better about the situation."

Blaming Few for Spangler leaving, blaming Few for Kelly going pro-- stuff does happen-- if the staff is doing the best that they can --i can't fault them.

We complain when the coaches grab a player as a reactionary move to another player leaving--then we complain about how good (or how much a player does not meet our expections)--then we also complain about the coaching staff taking additional time, trying to find the best player/fit for the team.

Patience and flexibility goes a long way-- it will help with the long term sanity.

To be clear, Webspinnre, I never said that any of those coaches would or should leave their jobs to coach at GU if given the chance. While I love the Zags, they'd all be nuts to do so considering the shortcomings of our weak conference.

To Zagdawg, I think that's a pretty interesting take on my comments. I, unlike so many on these boards, don't follow Few blindly and kiss the ground he walks on. I don't place blame on Few make myself "feel better." I look at his performance objectively, and I just don't see much more of a growth in him. I think over the past few years he's been outcoached in most big games, and I would like to turn the page. While I realize that's a drastic step that many will not agree with, I don't see the value in staying with a guy who can't get you to your desired end.

Someone said something about expectations, and I agree, many fans have different expectations for the Zags. If fans want a 'fun' team that can consistently win the WCC and win some big neutral site games now and again, then Few is the obvious choice. I have a bit loftier goals/expectations for the Zags. I'd like to see us make the next big step above WCC championships and a couple big wins and become a feared opponent in the tourney. To do that, we would need to make a change in leadership. Programs take on the personality of their coaches and Few's approach isn't going to cut it.

You may call it 'patience and flexibility,' I call it massaging the hard truth and making excuses.

If you factor in the talent base, I would say MF is top of the list. Pretty sure Ohio State and Huggy's tenor has seen way more top rated talent through their programs.
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

I am going to go out on a limb and guess that you are young enough to take the Zags success for granted. Your argument seems to assume that GU is a national power, with or without the stability of the family type program they have established.

Few has had the success he has had mainly because of that quality and it is unique. We all wish we could go further, some of that is on Few. But any program that would fire someone with the highest winning percentage bb and coming off a one seed is insane.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

530: If fans want a 'fun' team that can consistently win the WCC and win some big neutral site games now and again, then Few is the obvious choice. I have a bit loftier goals/expectations for the Zags. I'd like to see us make the next big step above WCC championships and a couple big wins and become a feared opponent in the tourney. To do that, we would need to make a change in leadership. Programs take on the personality of their coaches and Few's approach isn't going to cut it.

at the end of the day thats the choice for those of us who are not Few acolytes and, while we stipulate to his plusses -- community, honesty, family -- we also see major flaws in his approach to the game. he's not going anywhere. no BCS AD is gonna offer him $2mil now (if that was ever the case), so we either accept it or bail.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I am going to go out on a limb and guess that you are young enough to take the Zags success for granted. Your argument seems to assume that GU is a national power, with or without the stability of the family type program they have established.

Few has had the success he has had mainly because of that quality and it is unique. We all wish we could go further, some of that is on Few. But any program that would fire someone with the highest winning percentage bb and coming off a one seed is insane.
    +1 Bingo and spot on.

Go Zags
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

Quote Originally Posted by 77Zag View Post
    If you factor in the talent base, I would say MF is top of the list. Pretty sure Ohio State and Huggy's tenor has seen way more top rated talent through their programs.
    Um, isnt acquiring talent a principal function of the head coach?

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    I am going to go out on a limb and guess that you are young enough to take the Zags success for granted. Your argument seems to assume that GU is a national power, with or without the stability of the family type program they have established..
    Alibi #235....

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Um, isnt acquiring talent a principal function of the head coach?
    I buy this for sure, but competing with the bigger beasts for many reasons is an ongoing hurdle. City of Spokane vs City of San Diego is just one example as we just realized.

Default excellent point here

I buy this for sure, but competing with the bigger beasts for many reasons is an ongoing hurdle. City of Spokane vs City of San Diego is just one example as we just realized.
    San Diego sucks. Unless your trust fund can get you a place close enough to watch the (alleged) real people sail in and out of the harbor, or sip an exotic drink in the Hotel Coronado or gaslight district.

In Spokane, you can choose between 100 fresh water lakes within an hour, live the life of Reilly.

But if you must, you can always risk skin cancer and visit overpriced, overpraised, San Diego. A must see for me: The San Diego Zoo. Nothing like watching the gorillas heave their own fresh sh!t at the tourists staring down at them. Followed by hugely overpriced drinks for the honor of wasting my time & money in stuck up, boring, look-at-me, look-at-me, San Diego.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Jazz-- we understand you and 530 may very well be the same poster.

The "reality" you both bring is the reminder of the lack of 5* top 25 players on the roster and because of this the lack of a final 4/NT.

Help those of us that are not as forward thinking as you to understand, how many coaches would be bringing all this talent that is out there to Spokane (although Spokane does have its advantages).

Even a Pac12 school to the south of us has issues getting top talent to go there-- so we really can't base it on the conference.

Few takes 2, 3 star and 4 star players and gets a #1 ranking and a # 1 dance seed --gets to the dance each year-- multiple sweet 16's-- not bad for a little school in Spokane, Wa.

I can't for the life of me understand how you force yourselves to follow such a "terrible" program when just across the state is a program that gets top 30 recruiting classes regularly, has multiple first round picks on the roster and they are looking for fair weather fans just like you to add to the legacy that is the UW.

Go Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post
    San Diego sucks. Unless your trust fund can get you a place close enough to watch the (alleged) real people sail in and out of the harbor, or sip an exotic drink in the Hotel Coronado or gaslight district.

In Spokane, you can choose between 100 fresh water lakes within an hour, live the life of Reilly.

But if you must, you can always risk skin cancer and visit overpriced, overpraised, San Diego. A must see for me: The San Diego Zoo. Nothing like watching the gorillas heave their own fresh sh!t at the tourists staring down at them. Followed by hugely overpriced drinks for the honor of wasting my time & money in stuck up, boring, look-at-me, look-at-me, San Diego.

I'm speechless, Gam. I have no speech, I am sans speech. But I love your fiery East Coast attitude. Don't take no sxxx from anyone, Gammer. Hilarious, though, as I contemplate a walk on a pristine beach or drive along the coast with the top down. I've been to Spokane, and trust me Gam, Spokane is no San Diego.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post

The "reality" you both bring is the reminder of the lack of 5* top 25 players on the roster and because of this the lack of a final 4/NT.

Help those of us that are not as forward thinking as you to understand, how many coaches would be bringing all this talent that is out there to Spokane (although Spokane does have its advantages).

Even a Pac12 school to the south of us has issues getting top talent to go there-- so we really can't base it on the conference.

Few takes 2, 3 star and 4 star players and gets a #1 ranking and a # 1 dance seed --gets to the dance each year-- multiple sweet 16's-- not bad for a little school in Spokane, Wa.

I can't for the life of me understand how you force yourselves to follow such a "terrible" program when just across the state is a program that gets top 30 recruiting classes regularly, has multiple first round picks on the roster and they are looking for fair weather fans just like you to add to the legacy that is the UW.

Go Zags.
    Let alone turns them into All Americans

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post

Go Zags.
    That's alibi #123

Quote Originally Posted by gamagin View Post

Gam -- from the more mature perspective on life you have legit points...but to a young man with BBall as their life, let's be real. Hmmm, swim suits and sunny beaches in January or sleet, snow and a near frozen river.

Default Zag bias

I notice the title of your post is "Zag bias?"

A simple click of your mouse would have told you that the writer is the lead writer for Ohio State (did you notice who he had as #1 on his list?).

Just maybe he was impressed with Few and his coaching in the round of 32 of last year's dance ..... when Gonzaga took mighty Final Four bound Ohio State right down to the wire.

Or do you think Few was outcoached in that game?
    Or do you think the difference was that Matta had used his recruiting prowess better than Few?

Regardless -- your thread title "Zag bias?" is ridiculous given that the article/ratings come from an Ohio State guy.

"To be continued ....."
    Father Tony Lehman, SJ

Gam -- from the more mature perspective on life you have legit points...but to a young man with BBall as their life, let's be real. Hmmm, swim suits and sunny beaches in January or sleet, snow and a near frozen river.
    When Charles Addams was a contributing cartoonist at The New Yorker, he would submit some pretty macabre drawings for consideration. One was particularly gruesome and could never be run in the book. But Addams would submit it every year or so anyway, over and over again. The kind editors would always know that when that drawing came over the transom it was time for Charles to, um, take a rest in a quiet and tranquil place, and they would notify his family it might time for the rest home. Posts like Gam's anti San Diego diatribe have me wondering the same thing.