Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One reason GU basketball will not fade away any time soon

Default One reason GU basketball will not fade away any time soon

1. Would any other arena in the country be pumped like this against USF?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJbOCbiQSI

If you want to add a reason of your own, please do so.
    Last edited by GoZags; 05-09-2016 at 12:15 PM. Reason: Edited to "fix" faulty link in OP
    Go Zags!!! Just Foo'in around.

2. Mr. Few
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

That video looks very familiar...

I know, it's one of the 3 links provided for the gameday bunnies thread -
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJbOCbiQSI

Oh yeah, #3 - What the students chanted as the players huddled after the game... We are...G U!
    youtube - "The Runner"

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2013

Dumbing down the internet, one post at a time

Foo Fantasy Football Champ 2011

1. Bouldin
    2. Pargo
    3. Pmac
    4. Kuso
    5. Pendo
    6. Micah
    7. Larry G.
    8. Mast
    9. Sorenson
    10. Foster
    11. Burgess

Recruits:
    1. Austin Daye
    2. Steven Gray
    3. Robert Sacre
    4. Ira Brown
    5. Andy Poling
    6. Brock Osweiler

Reasons:

1.) Austin Daye
    2.) Stephen Gray
    3.) Robert Sacre
    4.) Matt Bouldin
    5.) Jeremy Pargo

Reason 24b.) The weak WCC. Making the dance comparatively easy to reach most years.

You knew someone was gonna say it.

But we expected that from a Husky, not a Coug.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

RebornZag Guest

Default One reason GU basketball wil not fade away any time soon

Mark Few

check #2 :-)
    Allow myself to introduce....myself...

Because the program has been built for the long haul, not the short term.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by RebornZag View Post
    Mark Few
    The local sports radio station in Portland is reporting today that there is a clause in Mark Few's contract that allows him to leave if he is offered a job a certain institutions. John Canzano, columnist for The Oregonian, is saying that University of Oregon is one of them. Talk here is that Ernie Kent's days are numbered if Oregon falters in the rest of the season and doesn't make it to the NCAA Tournament.

If Few left GU to go to Oregon, they would be getting a good coach.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

I've always felt that Mark might leave for the Oregon job (as have many others) but I think the timing now would be terrible. Even with the continuity of Billy taking over the program, it would look like Mark was bailing.

OTOH, if he REALLY wants the UO job, he might not get another chance.

Default Haha

All in good fun.

RebornZag Guest

Default Few's Committment to recruits

I believe I heard, in an earier post months ago, that Mark Few told certain recruite (I think it was Daye) that he was going to be here for the duration of that players years at GU. I believe that if Few did say that, he will keep his word. I doubt if Few will leave. He has a great group of guys coming in next year and he has to be excited about that. If he leaves after one disappointing year he does look pretty self-centered to me. Most coaches in Mark's caliber, would leave with a good group of guys they leave behind.

That video is a perfect example of why the TV camera is currently on the wrong side

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Because the program has been built for the long haul, not the short term.
    I agree with RenoZag .... and I thought reviving this long ago thread "could" make for some interesting off-season musings.

What's YOUR reason this "cute little run" is still going strong?

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I agree with RenoZag .... and I thought reviving this long ago thread "could" make for some interesting off-season musings.

What's YOUR reason this "cute little run" is still going strong?
    Our athletic director has not gotten the attention deserved. Other than Few and maybe a few assistant coaches, Roth has done more than anyone.

He had the authority and desire early on to decide definitively to not accept summing up as " a couple years of unexpected good times, it will provide great stories" approach. He and Few immediately committed to the "what would/did Duke do in this situation" approach. In fact, I think they even contacted Duke and traveled to ask direct questions and Duke nicely helped them.

The men's and women's success is the validation of his career and he will fight to any length to address any sign of falling back. When he retires, it will be non-negotiable that the same total commitment goes forward.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Way way back in HS Latin I remember them saying "carpe diem".
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Tommy Lloyd.

There's just so many reasons that when combined they give the whole thing a lasting synergy. Spokane is fairly smitten with the Zags too. If Few, Tommy (or both) were to leave I think GU's in the position to pick the right/best replacements. Time changes things but time has certainly been good for the Zags and by all accounts it sure looks as if GU will only continue to get better.
    http://www.fowlplaces.com/zags/GoZagsTinySignGuyGlassesColor.png

Great university chemistry. Everyone talks about how the team loves each other, but it's an entire city that loves their team. That's why we aren't going away
    21 Straight Big Dances

11 Straight Round of 32s

10 Sweet Sixteens (5 Straight)

4 Elite Eights

2017 FINAL FOUR

2 Winningest Players in college basketball history (Karnowski 137, Perkins 134)

The Best Point Guard to ever play the game: John Stockton, most assists, most steals.

Quote Originally Posted by DixieZag View Post
    Our athletic director has not gotten the attention deserved. Other than Few and maybe a few assistant coaches, Roth has done more than anyone.

He had the authority and desire early on to decide definitively to not accept summing up as " a couple years of unexpected good times, it will provide great stories" approach. He and Few immediately committed to the "what would/did Duke do in this situation" approach. In fact, I think they even contacted Duke and traveled to ask direct questions and Duke nicely helped them.

The men's and women's success is the validation of his career and he will fight to any length to address any sign of falling back. When he retires, it will be non-negotiable that the same total commitment goes forward.
    I agree. I think it's become a bit bigger than Few and it's very much in the institution. Not that Few isn't critical, but there is a framework to continue the excellence for a long time. Also excellent thread resurrection.

GU is a brand, now. It is bigger than Few, it is bigger than Tommy, it is bigger than all of us. We aren't a blue blood, yet...but we are a brand that can stand losing it's current personnel. I could only see Few leaving if that is what he really wanted, regardless the consequences. If he has any significant reservation about experiencing the possibility of the Monson Effect, then he's not leaving.

However, if Tommy decides to stay in the face of some good job opportunities to be a head coach, that also has some interesting implications. So, who knows...

The super big time isn't all it's cut out to be. There's something really special about being a smaller (top quality academic and athletic) school that can and does compete with the so called blue blood's. I like it right where we are and I think the future bodes well for us. The incoming classes of recruits speak damn highly of Gonzaga sports and academics, don't you think!?