Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Sabonis

Default Chicken Ball

From what I have read I thought he was a 2015 that could reclassify for 2014 potentially, but I may be wrong.

I believe I read he could play in 2013-2014 but in case that didn't work it would part of the 2014 class but can't recall where I read that.

Default Of course

I would love to hear that he could play in 2013-14.

I would love to hear that he was playing for the Zags in 2013/2014!

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    can someone bring this translation in for an alteration and tell us wth this is about? has tommy saved 32's bacon yet again? he is '14, i assume.
    My Spanish ain't what it used to be, but since those computer generated translations are unreadable:

The prestigious University of Gonzaga (left that as is for laughs) has launched a fierce offensive to get Domas to abandon the Coast of the Sun IN THE COMING MONTHS and convert him into a Bulldog.

In the coming months could also be translated as in the next few months. Story clearly says this fall.

Quote Originally Posted by maynard g krebs View Post
    My Spanish ain't what it used to be, but since those computer generated translations are unreadable:

The prestigious University of Gonzaga (left that as is for laughs) has launched a fierce offensive to get Domas to abandon the Coast of the Sun IN THE COMING MONTHS and convert him into a Bulldog.

In the coming months could also be translated as in the next few months. Story clearly says this fall.
    gracias.

Dude looks good. Very coordinated, moves well laterally and up and down the court, has a soft touch on the interior, gets good positioning for rebounds, passes well. Needs work: strength(obviously--almost no 17 year old doesn't, especially posts), ballhandling, and an offensive game that extends past the key. Perfect backup next year, maybe moving into the starting 5 when SD graduates.

Can't argue with the pedigree. Keep in mind that even Michael Jordan's kids weren't college super stars. If he is half as good as his dad, he'll be a star. Would be great to continue the European pipeline!

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Ball View Post
    Looks like he might be eligible to play next year ('13-'14). Am I wrong?
    13/14 is this season. As Jazz said, this would be a major coup.

Quote Originally Posted by Malastein View Post
    Can't argue with the pedigree. Keep in mind that even Michael Jordan's kids weren't college super stars. If he is half as good as his dad, he'll be a star. Would be great to continue the European pipeline!
    Yup. Many "in the know" say that Arvydas was the most skilled big man ever. He came over after a few leg injuries and at the age of 31, I believe. I watched him play and he had sheer God given talent. if Donut is half as god as his pops, we got a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    Yup. Many "in the know" say that Arvydas was the most skilled big man ever. He came over after a few leg injuries and at the age of 31, I believe. I watched him play and he had sheer God given talent. if Donut is half as god as his pops, we got a good one.
    As I said weeks ago, before this latest revelation, I remember seeing highlights of his dad, at over 7 feet, draining the softest 3s - and that was pre-Garnett days when virtually no one was 7 ft and they damn sure didn't shoot from more than 5 feet from the basket.

It would be cool on so many levels if he came, be great to hear the name again - maybe even meet the old guy at a game.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by thespywhozaggedme View Post
    13/14 is this season. As Jazz said, this would be a major coup.
    He just turned 17 this month. Don`t think he be playing this year.

Quote Originally Posted by doctorzag View Post
    He just turned 17 this month. Don`t think he be playing this year.
    I was just correcting a poster that said that 13/14 season was next year, it is this upcoming one. I had no idea when he was eligible.

Default Another lefty

IF he were eligible this coming season, it would be awesome to have three bigs, all left-handed.

Might throw some defenses off a little.

Quote Originally Posted by basketballzag View Post
    His father was 7'3 and his son is already 6'10 at 17. I'm never too optimistic but this is the most optimistic I've been all off season.
    Not understanding the ruckus as Lewis Alcindor was 6'10" at birth or so I've read somewhere I think ...lol

Also found this in looking around the web:

http://www.gigantes.com/noticia/5264...e-clubes?.html

Google translate says:
    1996. Unicaja. Fifth in the Junior Championship.

Trujillo describes him: "He has been in the club since Premini. With everything that surrounds it, is normal, natural and good companion. It is a four but was working like three in the championship was more inside. He needs to improve his shot. He has a gift of offensive rebounding and playing around the basket. You can defend players face, passes very well and is one of the hopes of the club. The logic is that the junior will not set foot in 2013-2014 and will be in the LEB and inthe ACB. Duranteel Championship jumped tweets about Gonzaga already had done to him. It's a shuffle option but he is very happy at the club. There is nothing decided and November this news is that it was published in Malaga and is American / Lithuanian parents so decide ".
    Better translations always appreciated.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

Quote Originally Posted by webspinnre View Post
    Also found this in looking around the web:

http://www.gigantes.com/noticia/5264...e-clubes?.html

Google translate says:

Better translations always appreciated.
    Good teammate.
    A 4 but versatile enough to play at the 3.
    Gifted rebounder, esp. offensively.
    Good passer.
    Jumper needs work.
    Good on-ball defender (assuming that's what "face" means).

It's logical to think he won't leave his club in 2013-14, and will be in the LEB and in the ACB.(?) During the championship he tweeted that Gonzaga had already been in touch with him. It's an option to leave his club for GU, but he is very happy with his club and nothing is decided. (I couldn't decipher the rest of the last sentence; haven't used Spanish regularly in a couple decades and it was a confusing one).

thanks web - oh, and thanks maynard (just saw yours) pretty good job on your part with the translation, I don't hablo espanol but I think you are very close.

I got the "it is undecided" part of it, which seems to be the most important component.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Default Indicator of popularity?

2nd generation NBA kids that have played on a college team and have gone to the tourney. We have Stockton and Daye so far. Sacre and others are indicators too. Gonzaga is a popular place to go. I would be interested to know how many other schools have had the luxury. I'd bet Gonzaga is in the top 50 in that category too. I bet 75% of the schools who have NBA kids are alma maters of the parent.

Sabonis would be a great edition even without his fathers history. Having family legacies in colleges is part of the prestige.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Default Sikma and Trivia

Jack Sikma - the very popular center of the Seattle Supersonics who played in the mid 70s, has a son named Luke who attended UP. Luke Sikma had a couple good seasons at UP and seemed to have a lot of potential but suffered a serious injury that pretty well ended his college career. Not sure what happened to him after college.

But on to today's trivia question. Who, what, or where do the young Mr. Sabonis and Charles Manson have in common? This is a real trivia question, not a joke.

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Zag View Post
    Jack Sikma - the very popular center of the Seattle Supersonics who played in the mid 70s, has a son named Luke who attended UP. Luke Sikma had a couple good seasons at UP and seemed to have a lot of potential but suffered a serious injury that pretty well ended his college career. Not sure what happened to him after college.

But on to today's trivia question. Who, what, or where do the young Mr. Sabonis and Charles Manson have in common? This is a real trivia question, not a joke.

Go Bulldogs!
    They both like the Beach Boys?
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Default Nope

Next clue

What prisoner spent the longest time in Alcatraz?

Go Bulldogs!
    Do not go gentle into that good night,
    Old age should burn and rave at close of day;
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Zagco was almost stunned watching a healthy Arvidas Sabonis play back in the day. His passing was truly Larry Bird-like, and his size was incredible. So, so smart. Seems we really did not get him over here until injuries and a bit of age began to take its toll on him. The 1988 Soviet Olympic team was extremely good, though. Most remember him and Marcilonous (sic), but they had a couple 3-point sharpshooter types that were deadly. They were loaded, before the day came when commies could play in the NBA. Zagco thinks the Dream Team would have had to take that Soviet team seriously. Our 1988 Olympic team lacked shooters. Hersey Hawkins was about the only one, and it seems like he might have been battling some sort of injury, but Zagco's recollection is that we were never really in the game with them, although we might have ridden a surge to narrow the score once or twice.

Burt Lancaster?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.