• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Angelo Roncalli
    Bleeds Bulldog Blue
    • Feb 2007

And Now Back to Recruiting

The first big AAU tournament of the season began tonight at Bellevue College. A member of the GU coaching staff was there to see Idaho Gatorade player of the year Isaiah Wright (Borah). Wright's Idaho team had an easy win over a squad from Portland in the game I watched tonight. Wright had a very nice game, I'd guess about 18 points and 10 assists. He is strong to the basket with either hand. Very good speed with instant acceleration. He only took 1 or 2 shots from beyond the arc, so not much ability to evaluate his 3 pt shooting. All of the GU coaching staff is currently out on the recruiting trail.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor
  • Zagger
    Banned
    • Mar 2008

From now until November will be an interesting time for the Zags. Having reached a #1 ranking has got to influence recruiting. So to the elevation of KO's game while @ GU. I'm happy with the current mix and eager to see how SD and PK improve over the summer. Few is pretty darn good at getting results with whoever he has on the team and it isn't only those who'll not be around next year that got the team to #1. Sure, Kelly's game will be missed. But, I've got a darn good feeling about how well the Zags will do in 13-14. Adding some new talent will just help that along a bit further. Go Zags!

Comment

• thespywhozaggedme
      Banned
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
      The first big AAU tournament of the season began tonight at Bellevue College. A member of the GU coaching staff was there to see Idaho Gatorade player of the year Isaiah Wright (Borah). Wright's Idaho team had an easy win over a squad from Portland in the game I watched tonight. Wright had a very nice game, I'd guess about 18 points and 10 assists. He is strong to the basket with either hand. Very good speed with instant acceleration. He only took 1 or 2 shots from beyond the arc, so not much ability to evaluate his 3 pt shooting. All of the GU coaching staff is currently out on the recruiting trail.
      His dad went to Boise and he is Leon's #1, #2 and #3 recruiting priority. It would be a nice coupe if he gets Wright.

Comment

• BobZag
        Dark Lord of the Zag
        • Jan 2007

If you click on this link...

...and choose Boys Basketball and Borah, click, and set the calendar back to include February, click, you can watch Wright and his Borah team play three full games. Click on "View Webcast" for each game.
        The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• Kiddwell
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

An ESPN 3-star recruit:

Found Wright at Scout, but they've no rating for him (yet).

Stay up to date with all the college basketball recruiting news and more at 247Sports.com

Couldn't find him at Rivals.

:]
          Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Comment

• DZ
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2007

Question to the above: Is he someone we want no matter what or is he one that we want in cause Pope et. al. don't work out?
            Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
            Mark Twain.

Comment

• MDABE80
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

We need big guards!! lol

Comment

• CDC84
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

Speaking of guards....2014's Jordan McLaughlin

Caught this little tidbit from TSSF:

Slipper Still Fits ‏@slipperstillfit 2h
                Another interesting note is that Gonzaga is scheduled to have an in-home visit with Jordan McLaughlin next week.
                Stay up to date with all the college basketball recruiting news and more at 247Sports.com

McLaughlin is another Southern California product. He's currently ranked at #21 with scout.com. Both he and Josh Perkins are considered the best west coast PG prospects in the 2014 class.

I love how the GU staff is aggressively recruiting high level prospects in this very important class. As of right now, here are their top targets for guards:

*****Jordan McLaughlin, 6-0, PG, Etiwanda, CA, #21 scout.com
                *****Josh Perkins, 6-3, PG, Aurora, CO, #26 scout.com
                ****Namon Wright, 6-4, SG, Los Angeles, CA, #30 scout.com
                ****Grayson Allen, 6-3, SG, Riverview, FLA, #39 scout.com

Comment

• cggonzaga
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2007

Wow CDC, great news! After he blew up last summer I didn't think we stood a chance. This guy has had Allen Iverson comparisons.

Comment

• ZagNative
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Rivals reports Mark Few among many top coaches in Los Angeles at Nike's Elite Youth Basketball League Session#1 and the Double Pump Spring Hoop Fest in nearby Norwalk.

Teams playing:

Alabama Challenge (AL)
                    Albany City Rocks (NY)
                    All-Ohio Basketball (OH)
                    Arkansas Wings (AR)
                    Athletes First (OK)
                    BABC (MA)
                    Baltimore Elite (MD)
                    Bluff City Legends (TN)
                    Boo Williams (VA)
                    California Supreme (CA)
                    CIA Bounce (CAN)
                    CP3 All-Stars (NC)
                    Each 1 Teach 1 (FL)
                    Expressions Elite (MA)
                    Georgia Stars (GA)
                    Houston Hoops (TX)
                    Howard Pulley Panthers (MN)
                    ICP Elite (OR)
                    Jackson Tigers (MS)
                    Mac Irvin Fire (IL)
                    Mean Streets (IL)
                    Mokan Elite (KS)
                    New Jersey Playaz (NJ)
                    Nike Team Louisiana (LA)
                    NY Lightning (NY)
                    Oakland Soldiers (CA)
                    Seattle Rotary (WA)
                    Southern Stampede (GA)
                    Spiece Indy Heat (IN)
                    St. Louis Eagles (MO)
                    Team Final (PA)
                    Team Scan (NY)
                    Team Takeover (DC)
                    Team Texas Elite (TX)
                    Team United (NC)
                    Texas PRO (TX)
                    Texas Titans (TX)
                    The Family (MI)
                    Travelers Basketball (TN)
                    Wisconsin Playground Elite (WI)

A quick scan of box scores shows ICP's Donovan Dorsey and Silas Melson, but I suspect there are many, many others who are top targets for the Zags.

Comment

• BobZag
                      Dark Lord of the Zag
                      • Jan 2007

A big one in Vegas, as well. Pangos Spring Spectacular

I think Josh Perkins looked outstanding today for Colorado Miners.
                      The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Comment

• MDABE80
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

What limited time I've seen Dorsey, he sure looks good. Good size, good hops and is still growing. Seems to have a good feel for the game. Hope we're still on him.

Comment

• ZagNative
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by BobZag View Post
                          A big one in Vegas, as well. Pangos Spring Spectacular

I think Josh Perkins looked outstanding today for Colorado Miners.
                          Who do you suppose represented the staff in Vegas today? Got to think they'd have someone there.

Comment

• MDABE80
                            Zag for Life
                            • Feb 2007

Watching the Nike Hoops Summit.....so many of these kids on their way to Cal and UK. But no matter the World team is crushing the US component. World kids seem fundmentally more sound. Us has the flashy kids but they're getting beat by kids trained in fundmentals/
                            ALL these kids will be playing college. I hope our No 1 AP ranking does us some good. The foreign kids simply won't be ignored. I'd like a couple of em with us. So strong in the basics....something build on.

Comment

• Unbiased
                              Bleeds GU Blue
                              • Feb 2007

Dorsey

Originally posted by MDABE80 View Post
                              What limited time I've seen Dorsey, he sure looks good. Good size, good hops and is still growing. Seems to have a good feel for the game. Hope we're still on him.
                              Agreed.

I've seen him play three times. He has good handles and might end up being a six-foot-seven guard. From all the guard prospects on the west coast, he'd be my first choice by a mile. I gotta feeling Romar is thinking the same thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X