Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GU Radio Network Expands to Seattle

Default GU Radio Network Expands to Seattle

KIXI 880 in Seattle will join the Bulldogs Radio Network next season, carrying all of the GU men's games live.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

About frikkin time!

Default excellent

No more having to try and tune in Spokane's 1510, which you could get sort of) in Seattle as long as it was after 6 p.m. and not too cloudy. Even then the signal would fade in and out -- but it was the only game in town, er, radio station available. Sort of like the old days before cable, satellite stations, internet, and cell phones. On clear nights in the Midwest you could pull in stations from Pittsburgh to K.C. to Chicago and St. Louis. While at GU, I can recall getting Denver and S.F. at night.

Very good news. What kind of coverage/reach does this station normally have?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Nice to hear that now Seattle will have quality College Basketball on the radio!

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Very good news. What kind of coverage/reach does this station normally have?
    Just tuned into it for the first time ever and caught the last refrains of Marry Me Bill by the 5th Dimension.

AWESOME!!!

Finally I can mute Heister!
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Not The 5th Dimensions best effort IMO, GZ.

Aquarius still gets me pretty fired up, however.

Quote Originally Posted by sittingon50 View Post
    Not The 5th Dimensions best effort IMO, GZ.

Aquarius still gets me pretty fired up, however.

I'm guessing you've been sitting on 50 for quite some time.

Default I think west side GU fans are going to

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo Roncalli View Post
    KIXI 880 in Seattle will join the Bulldogs Radio Network next season, carrying all of the GU men's games live.
    enjoy the pre game chat between Matt Santangelo and Tom Hudson.

Matt does a first rate job & Huddy, as he's called, covers the stats and sets the table nicely.

MS scrimmages with the teams still (usually on the scout team) and brings a player's perspective to the play by play.

Yet he doesn't shy away from saying what he thinks is needed or needs to be done.

The duo flies on the team plane and Matt will sometimes use this time to get to the bottom of many things Zag and is good about sharing the information. He has a strong, smooth conversational style and the confidence of someone who knows what he's talking about.

Those of you on the game threads, I believe, will really enjoy this additional background info, interviews and then, the game itself. fwiw.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Default TV and Radio do not match

Finally I can mute Heister!
    Not really. Most of the time the TV feed is 5-10 seconds ahead of the radio and it pretty much will drive you nuts if you try watch TV while listening to the radio feed.

If the radio is 5-10 second behind the TV, and you've got TV with a DVR, you could always pause live TV at the beginning of the game and then hit play again in 5-10 seconds. You'd be 5-10 seconds behind live TV, but it'd match up closer with the radio. May be more trouble than its worth trying to get them to match up, but its an idea.

Thumbs up Finally!

Default Yeah Stevet

Sitting's about all I can do anymore.

Me too.

There is an online app called Radio Delay where you plug your radio into the computer and you are able to synch up the sound to the tv, if the tv is behind the radio (dvr doesn't help that way). Was a sanity saver as a Giants fan in the playoffs last year and 2010.

That just about covers the state now.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

I was actually suprised to hear that they hadn't been up till now.

Sounds like good news, indicative of the level of interest over there.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    You can drive from Seattle to Spokane and always be in range of a network station. Next region to conquer: Vancouver/Portland.
    Last edited by Angelo Roncalli; 04-16-2013 at 06:58 PM.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Default Except Clarkston/Lewiston

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Not sure if it's just me but I haven't been able to get 1510 here in Lewiston/Clarkston valley since we moved here. I can pick up bits and pieces of some of the games but after dark the signal goes bad. The transmitter is up on the palouse and being down in the valley is bad for line of sight....or something like that.

Default original

talk to an engineer at your local radio station about this.

1510 is KGA in spokane. Truckers from TX used to pick it up at night. LONG reach. HUGE tower (or used to have the biggest).

However, as you know, you are in a big hole. So my uninformed guess is your only hope is radio via cable, or satellite or pc.

a radiohead in your area likely knows the answer.
    Go TEAM Zags !

"John Stockton is one of the true marvels, not just of basketball, or in America, but in the history of Western Civilization!”
    Tom Hammond: “Wow, that’s a pretty strong statement. I guess I don’t have a good handle on world history.”
    Bill: “Well Tom, that’s because you didn’t go to UCLA." - Bill Walton

Default Not 50,000 watts anymore

KGA (which got its call letters from when it was owned by GU in prehistoric times) used to be 50,000 watts and could blast right through the Rockies and Cascades. Unfortunately they cut back their power a few years ago. I think people used to be able to pick it up clearly in Manitoba.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag 77 View Post
    KGA (which got its call letters from when it was owned by GU in prehistoric times) used to be 50,000 watts and could blast right through the Rockies and Cascades. Unfortunately they cut back their power a few years ago. I think people used to be able to pick it up clearly in Manitoba.
    Not to get way off topic here and I am certainly no engineer but. . .I read once that those really powerful stations (the 50,000 ones) actually have some weird feature where they powerfully send out their signal - it fades 100 miles or so out (this is at night) but then somehow, in some way I don't understand, it "bounces" off the atmosphere (?) and can then come back down but only a ways away.

For that reason, as I was growing up in So. Idaho, I could get KGO from SF but not the SLC station (KSL) or KBOI from Boise, both strong stations. Anyway, I used to have fun at night as a kid, dialing my a.m. radio around and see what I could pick up, remember Las Vegas, Albequrqee (but not Phoenix ??):

and now, back to your regularly scheduled and preferred programing
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I vaguely remember something about KGA cutting back on their broadcast power, but can't recall the reason. Why am I thinking it was something to do with an FCC mandate?

Anyhow,... I listened to KIXI 880 on my drive home from Issaquah to Kirkland this evening. It came in perfectly. And Issaquah is a tough place for radio reception, being surrounded by mountains on 3 sides. (Not even that radio station from The Dark Side, KJR 950, comes in well during the twilight hours in Issaquah. )

Can't wait to listen to Bulldog Radio in real time, locally!!!!

Yeah, they cut back their power. I can get it in Colville (60 miles N. of Wandermere) fine during the day. At night; not so good.