Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big loss for St. Mary's.

If you watched Dova in the WCC, the push off is pretty obvious on just about every mid range shot he takes. He's a decent shooter who is streaky, but he chokes. If he was really as good as everyone gave him praise for he'd be all over NBA draft boards.

Default Pick one

Delly or Pangos? For next year. For Zags not SMC.

Delavadova was a MASTER, nay, a HIGH MASTER, at pushing off and hooking people. He got away with it, so more power to him. If NCAA officials won't call it, then do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frankly, Zagco thinks NCAA officials looked just terrible this year. The amount of contact being allowed is silly. The charge calls are also silly, most of the time. They've turned the sport into a form of rugby.

I hate doing this but:

Delly had more moves than just the forearm shimmy (although that was part of his game). His floater was deadly, and he could hit the 3 with the shot clock expiring with the best of them. Also, Pangos uses the forearm, just not to the extent of Delly.

I was surprised to see the comment in the link mentioned above. Yes it is there. Still, I think that almost all of us respect Delly (and are glad he's gone).

Quote Originally Posted by zagco View Post
    Delavadova was a MASTER, nay, a HIGH MASTER, at pushing off and hooking people. He got away with it, so more power to him. If NCAA officials won't call it, then do it!!!!!!!!!!!!

Frankly, Zagco thinks NCAA officials looked just terrible this year. The amount of contact being allowed is silly. The charge calls are also silly, most of the time. They've turned the sport into a form of rugby.
    Not any more than sainted Boy Scout Aaron Craft who sets a pick then invarably sweeps into the defender, it's never called, among other borderline moves of his.

ID ZAGFAN Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Not any more than sainted Boy Scout Aaron Craft who sets a pick then invarably sweeps into the defender, it's never called, among other borderline moves of his.
    A couple of months ago, I saw a print interview in which Aaron Craft said (paraphrase) " I foul on every play. They can't call 'em all." That was the way I felt last year when we played Ohio State.

ZaGranny

I'll take Pangos-- because he will actually be here still and Delly will be gone.

Walker is in Bennets doghouse --but with the loss of Neal, maybe Bennet will let him play.

The other two primary options are injured/in the process of healing and we will see what they bring back to the table after they go through rehab.

Holt is a 2 ---- he is not a big distributor and guy that sets up the team.

Not sure about the redshirt guard -- maybe he will be able to step in and take on the duties.

Lots of questionmarks for the Gaels next year.
    Last edited by Zagdawg; 04-14-2013 at 07:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagdawg View Post
    I'll take Pangos-- because he will actually be here still and Delly will be gone.

Walker is in Bennets doghouse --but with the loss of Neal, maybe Bennet will let him play.

The other two priamry options are injured/in the process of healing and we will see what they bring back to the table after they go through rehab.

Holt is a 2 ---- he is not a big distributor and guy that sets up the team.

Not sure about the redshirt guard -- maybe he will be able to step in and take on the duties.

Lots of questionmarks for the Gaels next year.
    Good synopsis.
    Going forward, I think the Gaels could be a 3/4 dominated team with three new unknowns, Chris Reyes a redshirt freshman and freshman Calvin Hermanson and Aussie freshman Dane Pineau to go along with Beau Levesque and junior USC transfer Garrett Jackson. As of now, based on current players and not knowing who might be reshirted, I see these guys as their future with Cullen Neal out of the mix.

Smc will still win 25 games...for one, Bennett will schedule a ton of wins against low level teams again. Also, he can coach, and despite Delly leaving, the cupboard is far from bare. Holt is a stud and will excel as the primary scorer, and they get Garret Jackson, who can really play. Losing Cullen Neal is a blow, but I still think they will be tough.

This is not a knock on Holt - and I base this almost exclusively on the games with GU - but, Delly was SO good, forearm or not, that I think that Holt's value is really up in the air b/c with Delly gone, teams will not concentrate so much upon him.

Look at the GU game in Spokane, Delly was nearly a non-factor, Holt killed us in the second half. Seems much of that was benefitting from the respect teams gave Delly.

Hope I am wrong. Sincerely. The league is just more fun when SMC is great. It seems to me that this next year is critical. Last 4 years it was a given they would be competitive - lots of questions this coming year, not as big a history to serve as a cushion if/when the Zags drop this coming year also.

I hope they "rise to the occassion."
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGGED OUT View Post
    If you watched Dova in the WCC, the push off is pretty obvious on just about every mid range shot he takes. He's a decent shooter who is streaky, but he chokes. If he was really as good as everyone gave him praise for he'd be all over NBA draft boards.
    if dellavedova is a choker...then pangos is probably even more so based on some of the shooting performaces he has had in some of the zags most important games...delly was more consistent than pangos, though i'm hoping pangos will continue to improve in this area next year.

Quote Originally Posted by john montana View Post
    Smc will still win 25 games...for one, Bennett will schedule a ton of wins against low level teams again. Also, he can coach, and despite Delly leaving, the cupboard is far from bare. Holt is a stud and will excel as the primary scorer, and they get Garret Jackson, who can really play. Losing Cullen Neal is a blow, but I still think they will be tough.
    I think it will be hard for SMC to win 20 games, let alone 25.

One of the NCAA penalties is no skill instruction with players by any of the SMC coaches before the start of the season. This means none of the one-on-one and small group training sessions with players during the summer and fall before official practice against. SMC will be a few steps behind other programs when the season begins.

Another NCAA penalty is that Bennett must sit out the first five games of the conference season. He not only can't coach those games, he can't attend practice or review film and can't discuss strategy, game plans, etc. with his assistants or players.
    You have to love the Gonzaga fan. Not satisfied to be affronted merely by common hosings at the hands of ragtag referees, he plows all avenues of discontent. - John Blanchette

Gonzaga University...Home of the Zags...The Bulldogs. If you pronounce it "Gone Zaw Ga," they'll know you're not from here and they may charge you more for your coffee. - Garrison Keillor

Delly could push off on my team anytime he wanted to.

It was a privilege to watch him ply his trade in the WCC for 4 yrs.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Delly or Pangos? For next year. For Zags not SMC.

Comparing by year, I would stick with Kevin. Yeah, Delly is a more experienced and better player today, but with all the work Kevin puts in I would never count him out as becoming as good of player as Delladova by late in his Senior year.

Heck, I'm extremely excited to see how much he improves by next year. Both the coaches and players talked about sacrifice for the good of the team. With our strength being so overwhelmingly inside this year, I don't think Pangos got the chance to shine as much as he normally would have. Now Bell is another question. Something tells me (just speculation) he was playing hurt (some or) most of the year (from his knee injury early on to his foot problems in both NCAA games). I won't be surprised to find out at the end of his career he was a Blake Stepp type of player (always playing hurt)- although even if true lets pray it was just this year....

I am making a not so bold prediction right here, Pangos, Bell and Coleman are going to come out of the gates next year firing on all cylinders and putting up lots of points! As to Kevin being clutch (mentioned earlier in this post) we never would have ended the year with 4 losses if him and Bell (among others) hadn't hit some pretty clutch shots to put teams away with under 2 minutes left and breaking their backs (along with a lot of big free throws).
    Last edited by 2wiceright; 04-15-2013 at 12:37 AM. Reason: sp..

[QUOTE=Angelo Roncalli;907333Another NCAA penalty is that Bennett must sit out the first five games of the conference season. He not only can't coach those games, he can't attend practice or review film and can't discuss strategy, game plans, etc. with his assistants or players.[/QUOTE]

Monitored by the "Honor System"?

He will find a way to discuss strategy, game plans etc with his assistants.

He's in trouble for a reason and like the tiger hasn't changed his stripes.

Just my opinion.

Go!! Zags!!!

Im actually looking forward to seeing what Reyes brings since GU offered him at one point if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by WallaWallaZag View Post
    if dellavedova is a choker...then pangos is probably even more so based on some of the shooting performaces he has had in some of the zags most important games...delly was more consistent than pangos, though i'm hoping pangos will continue to improve in this area next year.
    Lol that is factually incorrect. Delly has had one season with as good of shooting as Pangos, he's never had a better 3pt % than Kevin for a season, and he only has one year of FG% that is higher than either of Kevins years. Also, I listed plenty of opportunities that Delly has squandered away when his team need him most. In the 2nd half of the GU v SMC game in Moraga, Delly was deferring end of game threes to Mitchell Young of all people. That's not a winner. A winner want's that shot no matter what their stat line is that night. We go to overtime with a high chance of losing in Pullman if not for Pangos. We also would have lost to Southern if not for his step back mid range, followed by a step back three. He was our only outside threat against the Shockers and he hit some late in the 2nd half to at least give us a shot. He outplayed Freshman of the Year canidate in Marcus Smart, on Smart's home court.

Delly or Pangos? Pangos. Hands down. I want a winner that has confidence at all times, not one that defers shots to others when they are needed.

Further illustrating your ignorance. How about hitting the three to go to overtime against USD in the WCC tournament? He misses that and spends his senior year in the NIT, but no pressure right? Team didn't really need him there. Oh, he was 1/10 from the field at that point in the game, but no confidence. Since the BYU game winner apparently doesn't count, how about the game tying shot he hit about 10 seconds before that. Down two with under 20 seconds at BYU? No pressure. Dropping 20 points in the first half against GU is a choke because he wasn't as hot in the second half? Solid logic once again. At no point did he stop shooting, and he would have been the only guy to take the final shot. In a tie game v. Harvard, Delly took and missed the last shot on a 1/14 shooting day (Young was fouled with a second left on the offensive rebound). No confidence again? In the midst of another poor shooting performance v. Memphis, Delly took and missed the last shot again. A game tying 3 with under two minutes left v. Villanova as a true freshman playing in his first NCAA tournament? No sweat. Icing the game with two free throws in the final seconds to go to the sweet sixteen? No confidence. Delly was not an elite shooter and could go into slumps, but he was a gamer and always had the confidence to keep putting shots up. When the game was on the line, Delly was the one with the ball. Sometimes it worked out, sometimes it didn't. Remember the 2012 WCC championship, or was that just another fluke? Your argument redefines factually incorrect.

Factually incorrect means calling someone more consistent when they have had only one season with a better overall % than another player.

Zagged Out said...

(quote) Also, I listed plenty of opportunities that Delly has squandered away when his team need him most. In the 2nd half of the GU v SMC game in Moraga, Delly was deferring end of game threes to Mitchell Young of all people. That's not a winner. A winner want's that shot no matter what their stat line is that night.

Delly or Pangos? Pangos. Hands down. I want a winner that has confidence at all times, not one that defers shots to others when they are needed.[/QUOTE]

To say or imply that Delly isn't/wasn't a winner is just absolutly ludicrous. To say or imply that Delly squandered away plenty of opportunities when his team needed him most is totally absurd.

Factually incorrect means calling someone more consistent when they have had only one season with a better overall % than another player.
    You sure it doesn't mean calling Delly a choke artist who is afraid to take the last shot and squanders away opportunities to help his team when the stakes are highest when I just gave you several examples of the opposite happening (off the top of my head, I'm sure there are more)? Pangos is a great player, but he has never had to carry an entire team on his back like Delly did this season. There is more to consistency than field goal percentage.

So Delly can show up against a fellow WCC opponent, but he can't answer the call against a bcs team?

Don't feed the troll SMC guys...

We all know Delly was a stud. I personally disliked his mouthpiece, hated his forearm shiver, but have total respect for the guy. He was a great college player and deserves a lot of accolades. I'm both sad and glad to see him gone!

Now...don't get me started on your coaches scheduling philosophy...hah...

So Delly can show up against a fellow WCC opponent, but he can't answer the call against a bcs team?
    Can't face reality so you change the argument, huh? I'm not going to look up Delly's performances v. BCS teams because I don't have the time or the energy. He obviously didn't get very many shots at them over his career. That may reflect Bennett, but not him. I can say with certainty that Delly showed up and brought it in every game he played, whether he was shooting well or not, and regardless of his final stat line. In my books and in many others, he is a great player. Your are entitled to your negative opinions of him, even if they are not based in fact or reality.

Face reality? Changing the argument? It's the same argument and it's the same reality. Pangos has performed better against BCS schools than Delly has, just as he has been more consistent over his whole career.