Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big loss for St. Mary's.

Default Big loss for St. Mary's.

Per SSF, per sources, Cullen Neal has recommitted to go play for his father at New Mexico

The least of Randy's problems

Can't blame the kid. Who wouldn't want to play for their hometown team with your dad as the coach? Tough break for SMC.
    What are you doing, Adam? Do you even know how many people go blind from pizza shrapnel?

I wouldn't go play under my dad. No conflicts of interest that way plus st Mary's has a solid program.

I didn't even realize his dad wasn't with the Globetrotters anymore.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

Default Who will take Neal's spot ?

Who will the Gaels bring in to compensate for this loss??

Default Kudos bird

Good one

Copied from the Albuquerque newspaper. You have to answer several questions to access the link so I just copied it:

Cullen Neal: ‘I’m going to be a Lobo’
    By Geoff Grammer / Journal Staff Writer on Apr. 13, 2013

While it has seemed inevitable since the day his father was announced as the new coach for the New Mexico Lobos basketball team April 3, Cullen Neal can now say he’s staying home.

The Eldorado High senior took to Twitter to confirm the news Saturday morning: “I’m going to be a Lobo. And it looks like we got some #unfinishedbusiness! Let’s go!!!”

Unfinished business — something his father, Craig Neal, talked about during his introductory news conference as UNM’s new head coach — has become the Lobos’ mantra for the 2013-14 season.

While Cullen said he felt in his heart several days ago that playing for the Lobos was what he wanted to do, he still had some unfinished business of his own to attend to since he signed a National Letter of Intent in November to enroll next fall at Saint Mary’s College in Morage, Calif.

“This was hard because I love Saint Mary’s, too,” Cullen Neal told the Journal. “I called coach (Randy) Bennett (Saturday) morning, and it was probably the hardest call I’ve ever had to make. He’s one of my favorite guys and has been recruiting me since the eighth grade. It was real hard.”

Bennett, who played two seasons for his father, Tom, at Mesa (Ariz.) Community College from 1980-82 before moving on to UC-San Diego, said he hates to see a prized recruit go, but understands the decision.

“He has the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to play for his father, Craig, at the University of New Mexico,” Bennett said in an email to the Journal. “Because of this special situation, we have agreed to grant him a release of his commitment to Saint Mary’s. Cullen is a great person and will be very successful at New Mexico. I wish him and his family the best.”

Craig Neal told the Journal on Saturday that he didn’t feel comfortable commenting on the matter because neither the Neal family nor anyone at UNM had officially received the release paperwork from Saint Mary’s. The official paperwork will likely be received by UNM on Monday.

CBS Sports senior college basketball writer Jeff Goodman on Saturday morning reported sources confirming that the standout, who averaged 26.5 points per game this past season at Eldorado High, had been released from the letter of intent.

At his introductory news conference, Craig Neal was asked about the prospects of his 6-foot-4 son playing for him in a Lobos uniform.

“If his mom’s good at recruiting, we’ll have a shot,” Craig Neal said.

Cullen Neal said at the time he saw the decision as a tough one, but a can’t-miss proposition.

“I sort of feel like I’m in a win-win situation now,” Cullen Neal told the Journal. “I love Saint Mary’s and coach Bennett, and as of right now I’m still going there, but we (the Neal family) will talk about everything and see what is best. I would love to play for my dad, too, and I love the Lobos.”

The play-for-your-dad release from a letter of intent has already played out for UNM this spring as La Cueva senior Bryce Alford, who signed in the fall to play for the Lobos, will now follow his father, former UNM head coach Steve Alford, to UCLA.

Steve Alford had decided he didn’t want to recruit both as they were similar position players in the same recruiting class, so Cullen Neal went the Saint Mary’s route instead, where he was being counted on to help replace superstar Matthew Dellavedova, who is graduating.

Cullen Neal, like his dad, is a far more emotional player on the court than are Bryce and Steve Alford. The families are very close and share the similar intensity and desire to win, but the open display of emotion is unique to the Neals.

Cullen Neal made fans and foes on the prep scene around New Mexico when he would do such things as blow kisses to opposing student sections after nailing 3-pointers at key moments. His effort and skill made him arguably New Mexico’s best prep player over the past two seasons.

Goodman told the Journal the addition of Cullen Neal likely solidifies the Lobos, who return four starters from their 29-win team this past season, as a legitimate preseason Top 25 team.

“Cullen is a huge addition for the Lobos,” Goodman told the Journal. “He is long and talented and gives UNM a guy who can both score and also find guys for open looks.

“I saw him play a few times in the summer and felt he was a Top 100 guy. New Mexico fans will love him — and everyone else will hate him — because, like his dad, he wears his emotions on his sleeve.”

Cullen Neal said he doesn’t plan on blowing any kisses to opposing Mountain West student sections, which have grown in recent years to some of the most menacing in the country, namely ones at Colorado State’s Moby Arena, “The Show” student section at Viejas Arena in San Diego and the “Rebellion” at UNLV’s Thomas & Mack Arena.

The next order of business for Cullen Neal is trying to persuade sophomore-to-be Cleveland “Pancake” Thomas to let him wear the No. 1 jersey Neal donned for the Eldorado Eagles. If Thomas declines, however, Cullen Neal said he’d wear the No. 30 jersey that his mom, Janet, wore when she played in high school. His dad’s No. 10 is already taken by senior-to-be and defending Mountain West Player of the Year Kendall Williams.

Cullen Neal already frequently practices with Lobos players and works out with them.

“I’ve already been family with these guys for years,” Cullen Neal said. “Now I can finally say I’m their teammate. But the family part was already there.”

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    I wouldn't go play under my dad. No conflicts of interest that way plus st Mary's has a solid program.
    Nowhere near as solid as New Mexico.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Good for Neal -- bad for the Gaels -- not sure who is going to be able to step in to run point.

That is a lot of assists/easy baskets that go away with the loss of Delly.

Maybe Holt-- but he is more of a 2 --not much of a distributor.

Default page and giusti

page and giusti are back. giusti played very well for page.....neither a classic point but along w holt give smc a solid backcourt corps that could equal zags, depending on just how good coleman really is.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    page and giusti are back. giusti played very well for page.....neither a classic point but along w holt give smc a solid backcourt corps that could equal zags, depending on just how good coleman really is.
    I guess i have to assume this was meant as a joke, otherwise my head might explode.

Big loss, that program is in trouble. They needed a good season next year to attract recruits with all the violations. Without a point guard it will be back to mediocre for the Gaels.
    SDZag does not represent the opinions of San Diego just the San Diegians on the Foo!

Default pyro?

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaZag View Post
    I guess i have to assume this was meant as a joke, otherwise my head might explode.
    huh? i'd say holt is better than bell so far, page better all round than stocks and pangos a lot better than giusti. why the pyrotechnics other than u are an inveterate fan?

huh? i'd say holt is better than bell so far, page better all round than stocks and pangos a lot better than giusti. why the pyrotechnics other than u are an inveterate fan?
    Our guards smoked theirs three times. How has Holt been better than Bell? How has Page been better than Stocks? Don't even get me started on Giusti... I don't believe Holt/Page/Giusti have beaten a BCS team or a ranked team besides GU in their careers.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Default smoked?

Quote Originally Posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
    Our guards smoked theirs three times. How has Holt been better than Bell? How has Page been better than Stocks? Don't even get me started on Giusti... I don't believe Holt/Page/Giusti have beaten a BCS team or a ranked team besides GU in their careers.
    smoked? holt dropped 19, 17 and 23 vs zags....holt avgd 12 ppg vs 9 for bell...right now i wd pick holt at 6-4 over bell....pangos is clearly better than any smc guards and tho i like stocks i think giusti brings more to the table as a 3/4th guard.

smoked? holt dropped 19, 17 and 23 vs zags....holt avgd 12 ppg vs 9 for bell...right now i wd pick holt at 6-4 over bell....pangos is clearly better than any smc guards and tho i like stocks i think giusti brings more to the table as a 3/4th guard.
    Careful jazz, Some people don't like being confronted with facts. Yes I too would take the GU guards but to imply that the Gael guards would simply be overwhelmed is not factual.

By the way, it's questionable if Page will be ready for next season (knee). James Walker could step up. Paul McCoy may or may not be back although his whole SMC career has been about his knee problems. There is one more guy, Treaven Duffy, a redshirt freshman 6' 2" PG that some people think has a shot.

Jordan Guisti 6'2" PG played a ton of minutes as a redshirt freshman and excelled on defense. He can also handle the ball. He surprised a lot of people and I'd guess he might start at PG next season.

Regarding Cullen Neal, it's a HUGE loss IMO.

I think Jazz' overall assessment is pretty accurate. A slight point here or there, but in the eye of the beholder.
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
    I like coming on this board because it provides solid hoops talk with a lot of traffic. But all gonzagafactor does is take shots at the Gaels. Holt went off against the Zags three times and our guards in no way got smoked. Our front court got destroyed, and rightfully so as yours was significantly better. Holt is a streaky shooter, but he is taller than Bell and much more capable of driving and creating his own shot. They both D up, but Holt has the advantage because he is 6'4. He can also board pretty well. Neither Giusiti or Stockton provide much on offense. Stockton is a good distributor, Giusti is a good defender. That's why they play. Pangos is better than all those guys, but at this point in their careers I would still have Delly over KP as my starting 1. Take it easy with the Gaels hatred factor, "F*** Delly" is neither insightful nor classy.

Quote Originally Posted by roundup View Post
    I like coming on this board because it provides solid hoops talk with a lot of traffic. But all gonzagafactor does is take shots at the Gaels. Holt went off against the Zags three times and our guards in no way got smoked. Our front court got destroyed, and rightfully so as yours was significantly better. Holt is a streaky shooter, but he is taller than Bell and much more capable of driving and creating his own shot. They both D up, but Holt has the advantage because he is 6'4. He can also board pretty well. Neither Giusiti or Stockton provide much on offense. Stockton is a good distributor, Giusti is a good defender. That's why they play. Pangos is better than all those guys, but at this point in their careers I would still have Delly over KP as my starting 1. Take it easy with the Gaels hatred factor, "F*** Delly" is neither insightful nor classy.
    I'm with you except I gotta' point out that GU has given Delly tons of respect overall, tons.

At what point did anyone here say anything like @#$% Delly? That is completely out of character with this board, and if it was said apparently the mods removed it immediately since I have never seen anything like this.

On point: Pangos and Bell are in no way outclassed by SMC's guards, but likewise they are not outclassed by ours. The loss of a premier point is going to hurt SMC badly since they have an average interior, and no proven point to take over for Delly. If SMC keeps up their 25 win seasons next year i'd be pretty amazed at Bennett given the tight spot they seem to be in.

Absolutely, this board is typically very classy. My comments were directed at the neighborhood Glenn Beck and his tired anti-Gaels agenda. Here is the link, the comment was made and never deleted. http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview....t=45638&page=2

Next year is looking tough, but hopefully Bennett can pull something together.

Quote Originally Posted by roundup View Post
    Absolutely, this board is typically very classy. My comments were directed at the neighborhood Glenn Beck and his tired anti-Gaels agenda. Here is the link, the comment was made and never deleted. http://www.guboards.spokesmanreview....t=45638&page=2

Next year is looking tough, but hopefully Bennett can pull something together.
    Seriously though, Delly was only made as good as he was because he was allowed to push off more than anyone in the league. Choked against Gonzaga at home in the 2nd half when they needed him most, choked in the WCC tourney (1-8 fg), and 3 of 13 in the NCAA tourney agianst Memphis. But don't worry, you can keep telling us how clutch he is cause he hit one heave against BYU.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGGED OUT View Post
    Seriously though, Delly was only made as good as he was because he was allowed to push off more than anyone in the league. Choked against Gonzaga at home in the 2nd half when they needed him most, choked in the WCC tourney (1-8 fg), and 3 of 13 in the NCAA tourney agianst Memphis. But don't worry, you can keep telling us how clutch he is cause he hit one heave against BYU.
    You're right. Delly was a cheating scrub who couldn't shoot and failed his team when they needed him most. His only legacy will be the blind luck of a 35 foot runner at BYU.

Seriously? The only reason he was good was because of his forearm move? Nothing to do with the way he ran a pick and roll? Or his shooting ability? Or his size inside against smaller guards?
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V