Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: Another perspective on this season

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    334

    Default Another perspective on this season

    A couple of thoughts.

    1. Spangler should have been there and would have been a physical force.

    2. Olynk was way better than everyone thought.

    3. Dower underperformed this year compared to expectations.

    4. Hart exceeded expectations this year and was the glue.

    5. Edi did not pan out.

    This year was supposed to be the transition year with Olynk, Dower, and Spangler really making inroads in terms of personal development. Harris was supposed to be the rock that helped them maintain a top 25 ranking and get into the tournament. Bell and Pangos were supposed to continue to gel more together and develop that needed consistency in scoring and defense.

    If Spangler did not leave we might have had a different result this year in the tournament. Definitely something to think about during this offseason. Nevertheless, credit the coaching staff for making the adjustments this year to get us to a number 1 ranking and number 1 seed.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    2,074

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    A couple of thoughts.

    1. Spangler should have been there and would have been a physical force.

    2. Olynk was way better than everyone thought.

    3. Dower underperformed this year compared to expectations.

    4. Hart exceeded expectations this year and was the glue.

    5. Edi did not pan out.

    This year was supposed to be the transition year with Olynk, Dower, and Spangler really making inroads in terms of personal development. Harris was supposed to be the rock that helped them maintain a top 25 ranking and get into the tournament. Bell and Pangos were supposed to continue to gel more together and develop that needed consistency in scoring and defense.

    If Spangler did not leave we might have had a different result this year in the tournament. Definitely something to think about during this offseason. Nevertheless, credit the coaching staff for making the adjustments this year to get us to a number 1 ranking and number 1 seed.



    I don't know. I wish Spangler was still here and happy for next year, but I think he would have gotten 10-15 minutes a game maybe this season. I read a quote from him on a blog where he said something like he is happy with his decision to transfer although he does miss "some" of the guys at GU. Maybe one of the guys he doesn't miss is the coach who wouldn't let him play much last year. He was a freshman, so I am not blaming Few for him transferring, just wondering.

    He probably saw how good Kelly was in practice and with EH, Sam being there and PK coming in saw that he would not get a lot of playing time again.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    15,882

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MJ777 View Post
    [/B]


    I don't know. I wish Spangler was still here and happy for next year, but I think he would have gotten 10-15 minutes a game maybe this season. I read a quote from him on a blog where he said something like he is happy with his decision to transfer although he does miss "some" of the guys at GU. Maybe one of the guys he doesn't miss is the coach who wouldn't let him play much last year. He was a freshman, so I am not blaming Few for him transferring, just wondering.

    He probably saw how good Kelly was in practice and with EH, Sam being there and PK coming in saw that he would not get a lot of playing time again.
    He was homesick. Simple as that. He likely would've redshirted this year, so this is kinda moot. Would've been ideal to step in for Harris or Olynyk next year, but... just a country boy who had never been far from home before.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    12,665

    Default

    Nope...just like BZ says.....he had the blues from being away from home. Tight and very close family. It never resolved. Best for everyone.....very simple..........

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MDABE80 View Post
    Nope...just like BZ says.....he had the blues from being away from home. Tight and very close family. It never resolved. Best for everyone.....very simple..........
    If either Travis Ford or Jeff Capel would have recruited him he never would have left OK.
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boise, Idaho
    Posts
    763

    Default

    Zagco tends to think about the players who left us because they could not crack playing time. He also tends to think we could have used a couple of those guys, if we had actually given them playing time. But apparently we think the 7 or 8 guys who play the most on our team are all better than they would have been.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    University Place, WA (aka Chambers Bay)
    Posts
    5,100

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagco View Post
    Zagco tends to think about the players who left us because they could not crack playing time. He also tends to think we could have used a couple of those guys, if we had actually given them playing time. But apparently we think the 7 or 8 guys who play the most on our team are all better than they would have been.
    Huh?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    334

    Default

    I wouldn't say it was best for GU that Spangler left. We did have a plan that involved Spangler and when he left the team we had to go to a plan B. I think maybe red shirting Dower might have been a good idea this year if Spangler was still around. I feel a little discouraged that Dower appeared lost in the Wichita State game. I guess my real point is that Spangler leaving made a bigger impact than maybe some of us realize. He was a good player and showed it when Gu played West Virginia in the tournament last year. Olynk offset things partially by really being good this year. Another thought that I have is a correlation to the success of the team and Few's experience with team USA basketball. Can we attribute any improvements based on what Few learned? And if we can what do you think those learnings were?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Oklafriggenhoma
    Posts
    7,282

    Default

    I think maybe red shirting Dower might have been a good idea this year if Spangler was still around.
    Dower has already red shirted a year.
    Birddog

    Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Good point. I forgot that he did.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,015

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    Dower has already red shirted a year.
    Dower at least needs to get the program Kelly used during his RS and do that!!!!! during the offseason
    It's What You learn AFTER You Know It All That Counts

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    7,422

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    Good point. I forgot that he did.
    Could we have sent him on a one year mission?

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    North Idaho
    Posts
    850

    Default

    One person left off the list by the OP was Kyle D. To me, he was a big disappointment (even though I love the kid!). Being a redshirt freshman, if he would have had half the impact of a Bell or Pangos his 1st year playing (even though Kevin and Gary were true freshman last year), I believe he would have made a major impact on the strength of our backcourt (let alone another pure shooter on the court at the 3 spot at times).

    I sure hope next year he comes out of his shell and becomes an impact player on offense like I believe he can...

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    920

    Default

    If ifs and buts were candy and nuts we'd all have a merry Christmas.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    334

    Default

    If he (Dower) went on a mission it certainly wasn't for basketball lol.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •