Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Has it ever been?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,150

    Default Has it ever been?

    If Duke beats Louisville today--a big if but not impossible -- not a single #1 seed will advance to the Final Four. Has that EVER been the case before?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    1,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tyra View Post
    If Duke beats Louisville today--a big if but not impossible -- not a single #1 seed will advance to the Final Four. Has that EVER been the case before?
    It happened a couple of years ago IIRC. I believe there has been ONE time all the 1s have made it and ONE time none of them have, and they are both very recent.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    1,500

    Default

    They all made it in 2008, only time ever.

    None of them made it in 2011, the only time ever. (In 2011, no 2 seeds made it to the FF either, what are the odds?)
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,150

    Default Looking like a moot point

    Long way back for Duke now.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Posts
    1,133

    Default Another logical observation

    This year there's one #1 seed in the Final Four. The other three teams -- two #4s and a #9 -- beat the other three #1 seeds to get there.

    Conclusion: It's better to beat a #1 seed than to be a #1 seed.

    Man, this logic stuff is simple!
    SLOZag
    "Kids come here to better their own lives, not ours. If you take a player’s failures as a personal affront…. check yourself." - Chick-Stratino'sUrDaddy

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    461

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TheGonzagaFactor View Post
    They all made it in 2008, only time ever.

    None of them made it in 2011, the only time ever. (In 2011, no 2 seeds made it to the FF either, what are the odds?)
    None made it in 2006 either. There was 3-seed Florida, 11-seed George Mason, 4-seed LSU and 2-seed UCLA. In 2011 there was 3-seed UConn, 4-seed Kentucky, 8-seed Butler and 11-seed VCU.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Salt Lake City
    Posts
    1,500

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by UKWildcatsFan View Post
    None made it in 2006 either. There was 3-seed Florida, 11-seed George Mason, 4-seed LSU and 2-seed UCLA. In 2011 there was 3-seed UConn, 4-seed Kentucky, 8-seed Butler and 11-seed VCU.
    Also 1980. So three times, 1980 2006 and 2011.

    I believe the "modern" NCAA tourney era began in 1985, however.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    284

    Default

    I want to see Louisville play Syracuse in the final. What a contrast of styles. Penetrating offense against that zone.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    8,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allnet59 View Post
    I want to see Louisville play Syracuse in the final. What a contrast of styles. Penetrating offense against that zone.
    Not me...haven't they played each other 3 times already?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    284

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Not me...haven't they played each other 3 times already?
    Ok I changed my mind. How about Wichita against Michigan.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    8,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by allnet59 View Post
    Ok I changed my mind. How about Wichita against Michigan.
    I'm fine with that...no Big East.

    BTW, there was a historical reference that may have been missed by the experts (apologies in advance if I'm in error):

    The Hardaway family has been a thorn in the sides of Kansas fans for two generations:

    Tim Hardaway was point guard on the team that beat Kansas in 1992, and now his son was on the team that beat Kansas in 2013.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •