Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Don't feel quite as bad about last week's loss...

Default Don't feel quite as bad about last week's loss...

....knowing that WSU won the west region and is headed to the final 4. The loss still stings, but not quite as badly.

Gregg Marshall can really, really coach. I've known it for years, but this tournament has really shown the nation what he is capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    ....knowing that WSU won the west region and is headed to the final 4.

Gregg Marshall can really, really coach. I've known it for years, but this tournament has really shown the nation what he is capable of.
    +1
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Or you can insert our team where they are and it feels even worse

Marshall was Winthrop's coach when Zags had to battle like crazy to fend them off in 2005. I think Zags only beat Winthrop by 6. Marshall > Alford.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

FWIW, I think the Shockers are the best team the Zags played all year and I think the Zags would have won if bell hadn't been injured. That's one resilient bunch.
    Birddog

Twas brillig, and the slithy toves
    Did gyre and gimble in the wabe:
    All mimsy were the borogoves,
    And the mome raths outgrabe.

A couple years later Winthrop also knocked off Notre Dame, if memory serves, and gave the elite 8 Oregon team a scare.

Default Zags - Shockers

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    FWIW, I think the Shockers are the best team the Zags played all year and I think the Zags would have won if bell hadn't been injured. That's one resilient bunch.
    The Zags would have won without Bell if they would have been more just alert in the last four minutes.

"Not quite as bad"?? The world is in Shock! We typically lose to the best and here is another example
    Gonzaga Basketball
    Exhibiting Character Since 1907

Bell can't make up all of the defensive lapses.

But, I do feel better too!

Quote Originally Posted by BobZag View Post
    Marshall was Winthrop's coach when Zags had to battle like crazy to fend them off in 2005. I think Zags only beat Winthrop by 6. Marshall > Alford.
    He doesn't have the LA Look...the hair... that was Ben's problem...Alford has the Lavin Jackson look....

This is Hollywood...not Kansas...

I feel worse.

This was GU's final four. They had a lead on Wichita State 3/4 of the way through.
    I miss Mike Hart

It is definitely bitter sweet. I have seen nothing that tells me that WSU is better than we are. With the talent we have (and even without GB) there is no way we should lose that game.

But I must tip my cap to WSU. They did what needed to be done.

Default Wichita is very, very good

They are made for the tournament. They play rugged defense. They rebound like crazy, they are tough on the perimeter, and they don't cave. After two significant injuries that might have spelled their demise, they hung on for dear life against a fierce Ohio State comeback. The comments about Greg Marshall are on target. I've seen this team play multiple times this season. I was not surprised they beat us, and not surprised they beat Ohio State either. They are one good team, and they might end up in the finals, depending on the injury situation with Cleanthony Earlly and Carl Hall. Marshall's coaching skills are showcased by what he does with Freshmen guards.

Does anyone else wonder if perhaps Malcom Armstead might have put the Ducks over the top against Louisville? It has been my contention from Selection Sunday on that Wichita State is one of the toughest teams in the tournament, and reading all the comments about how they are going down in the next game makes me smile. That was some game today.

I find it hard as Creighton fan to root for Wichita State, but there is something appealing about this team. They have a lot of grit, and they don't fold.

Sili

I agree with Spike this makes it worse because we are the better team but the better team does not always win in CBB and especially in the tourney.

Everyone is rightly going crazy about WSU and how great all their players are and how great their coach is, but remember this is the same team that lost three straight in late Jan/early Feb to Indiana st, N Iowa and the last place Southern Illinois. Additionally they finished off the pre NCAA tourney season losing 3 of 5 and were definitively the second best team in their own mid-major conference!

So for me it is a good team that is playing out of their minds and they should count themselves lucky that they got past GU that night.

This Wichita State team reminds of some of the really good Tom Izzo teams from the last 10 years. Honestly, the Zags should feel zero shame in having lost. That's a really good basketball team.

I don't recall WSU trailing at all in this tournament except to us - am I wrong about that? Amazing run they're on.

Feels worse, much worse.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dpg View Post
    Feels worse, much worse.
    This. Threads like this make me think that most of the people on this board never played sports or have any competitive drive.
    "Those Who Sacrifice Liberty For Security Deserve Neither." - Benjamin Franklin

What I like about this WSU team are their athletic big guys. Because WSU isn't an offensive machine, Marshall has placed a huge amount of emphasis on rebounding....especially on the offensive end. Like the Butler teams before them, they also play first rate defense, but the fact that they have athletic big guys who love to bang really gives them something different from a matchup perspective.

This. Threads like this make me think that most of the people on this board never played sports or have any competitive drive.
    Since when does being a fan of a sports team require you to possess an all out competitive personality? I genuinely hope you aren't projecting your hopes, dreams and fantasies on to 20 year old kids (who you don't know) playing in a one and done basketball tournament. If you are, I feel for you. It's a difficult way to live.

I was a highly competitive athlete in my younger years, and losing bothered me very much. It was because I had some sort of control over the outcome.

It's a different deal being a fan. Completely different.

Quote Originally Posted by CDC84 View Post
    What I like about this WSU team are their athletic big guys. Because WSU isn't an offensive machine, Marshall has placed a huge amount of emphasis on rebounding....especially on the offensive end. Like the Butler teams before them, they also play first rate defense, but the fact that they athletic big guys who love to bang really gives them something different from a matchup perspective.
    They swallowed up Harris. Completely took him away. They swarmed Pangos, but Kevin did a great job of being strong with the ball. It was very "Delly like". KO missed some critical bunnies in the first half. The missed foul on KO toward the end was a five point swing. I don't even want to talk about Sam being matched up against players like that.

Still, GU had them until WSU went unconscious from three point land down the stretch. The Shockers could have beaten anyone playing like that.

If they are better than GU, they aren't a whole lot better.
    I miss Mike Hart

Yeah and my ex-girlfriend married the guy she left me for! I feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that.
    We lost! We choked! Yeah Gary was injured but we still should have won. This was the year. It's not so much that we lost, it's the manner that it happened (and how it seems to be a recurring theme) and the fact that we had a good shot to be where Wichita is now. The final four.
    Listen, I love the team and always will. We have a great coach and program considering the built in limitations we have. That said, we should WANT to win and advance in the tourney. If you're fine with "just enough" and "maybe next year" then why build the new arena? Why the high profile ooc games? Why the private jet? We could still be winning the WCC in the Kennel and playing a weak schedule like St. Mary's, while flying Southwest.
    The "oh well" "ho hum" "at least we're not Georgetown" attitude makes me sick. As a fan base decide what we want: either first weekend exits or more than that.

Default Maybe....

Originally, I thought Wichita State's victory over us was a fluke. But the Shocker's victory over Ohio State made me realize that I was I was placing too much weight on the notoriety of the WSU program, ranking, and seeding. Other teams fans have done the same to tiny Gonzaga in the past.

I, like others on this forum, kept thinking, "if the Zags had done this", or "if this wouldn't have happened", we would have won. Go to another teams board forums after we defeat them. They do the same thing, instead of just saying, the Zags were the better team.

Maybe the Shockers are just a better team than the Zags. Or at least they were the better team in that game. That is all.

Quote Originally Posted by GorgeZag View Post
    Yeah and my ex-girlfriend married the guy she left me for! I feel all warm and fuzzy inside knowing that.
    We lost! We choked! Yeah Gary was injured but we still should have won. This was the year. It's not so much that we lost, it's the manner that it happened (and how it seems to be a recurring theme) and the fact that we had a good shot to be where Wichita is now. The final four.
    Listen, I love the team and always will. We have a great coach and program considering the built in limitations we have. That said, we should WANT to win and advance in the tourney. If you're fine with "just enough" and "maybe next year" then why build the new arena? Why the high profile ooc games? Why the private jet? We could still be winning the WCC in the Kennel and playing a weak schedule like St. Mary's, while flying Southwest.
    The "oh well" "ho hum" "at least we're not Georgetown" attitude makes me sick. As a fan base decide what we want: either first weekend exits or more than that.
    Just because someone says WSU beating OSU makes them feel a bit better does not mean they do not want better for the Zags. Are we supposed to walk around angry and kick our dog, yell at our spouses and kids and be bitter until Few attends a John Calipari Recruiting Seminar?

It's called accepting reality and having perspective. It's been a week now so we should all be there soon.

GorgeZag, Zag@LMU and others, what difference does it make if you and I want the Zags to win the NC? We're not playing or coaching. What difference does it make after all if we're happy with the season as it unfolded? Does that mean we're disloyal and shouldn't have the right to call ourselves fans?

When I was an undergrad, the team was led by center Gary Lechman (6'3") and pg Billy Suter (5'9"), coached by Hank Anderson....great guys, but not an outstanding team in modern terms. Entertaining to watch, comported themselves well. Will you discount them as unworthy of your standards?

I am proud of what they accomplished this year; I'm sad they didn't go farther, but I'm not going to tell myself they (not we, you and I), were the better team at that time. They weren't: they lost. It doesn't matter that in a string of ten games we might have won six or seven times. It doesn't matter at all: we played them one-and-done.