Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013-2014 Schedule

Default 2013-2014 Schedule

Might be a bit early, but I'm looking ahead at next year's schedule. Here's what I've got so far: Maui and return games with K-State and WVU. Are there any other games I'm missing? I know the Illinois series & OK State home-and-home are over for now. The Arizona home-and-home won't start until 2014. With the NCAA limit of 27 contests + one MTE (and 2 private scrimmages/exhibitions), we're looking at 7 open dates on the schedule. Possibly 8 if they can swing a game against one of the Maui teams within 14 days of the event (a la WVU this year).

Non-Conference (9 Games + One Multi-Team Event (Maui Invitational))

Nov. 25: Maui Invitational (Arkansas, Baylor, California, Chaminade, Dayton, Minnesota, Syracuse)
    Nov. 26: Maui Invitational
    Nov. 27: Maui Invitational
    Dec. 21: vs. Kansas State (Wichita, KS - Wichita Wildcat Classic)
    @ West Virginia 2

Conference (18 games)

vs. Portland
    @ Portland
    vs. St. Mary's
    @ St. Mary's
    vs. Santa Clara
    @ Santa Clara
    vs. San Francisco
    @ San Francisco
    vs. BYU
    @ BYU
    vs. Pepperdine
    @ Pepperdine
    vs. San Diego
    @ San Diego
    vs. Loyola Marymount
    @ Loyola Marymount
    vs. Pacific
    @ Pacific
    Last edited by KStyles; 03-30-2013 at 12:37 AM.

Wazzu @ kennel

I really love this part of the year when we are playing some quality teams. The Maui looks pretty good, especially if we can play Syracuse. Playing either Cal or Minnesotta would also be pretty good. I think it would be fun to begin a series with Indiana. Of all the teams they reminded me of the Zags, and they too had a heartbreaking end to a very good season. I am also very impressed with Wichita St, and think it would be cool if we could begin playing someone from that conference each year.

When we have discussed playing in a new conference in the future, I don't think anyone looked at the Missouri Valley Conference. Now that's a good conference I think.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Does anyone have any idea who the BIS opponent will be next season? I hope it is a decent Big 10 team (Wisconsin, Michigan, etc.), but probably not likely.

Quote Originally Posted by MJ777 View Post
    Does anyone have any idea who the BIS opponent will be next season? I hope it is a decent Big 10 team (Wisconsin, Michigan, etc.), but probably not likely.
    I don't know either, but I really hope it's a BCS team. The win over KState was a big factor in GU's seeding this year. At a minimum, in nullified the loss to Illinois.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I am also very impressed with Wichita St, and think it would be cool if we could begin playing someone from that conference each year.

When we have discussed playing in a new conference in the future, I don't think anyone looked at the Missouri Valley Conference. Now that's a good conference I think.
    MVC just lost Creighton to the New Big East. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by TheCroatian View Post
    Wazzu @ kennel
    I hope that series ends.

My hopes for removal (since Pacific comes in to give us 3 more RPI killer games):

Remove:
    • Division II opponents
    • Cupcakes: Southern Utah, South Dakota, Campbell, Longwood, Western Michigan, IPFW, USC Upstate, etc.
    • Wazzu, E Wash rivalries
    • More than 3 games against teams from 1 single conference (Big-12 this year)

Quote Originally Posted by exclusivelee View Post
    I hope that series ends.

My hopes for removal (since Pacific comes in to give us 3 more RPI killer games):

Remove:
    • Division II opponents
    • Cupcakes: Southern Utah, South Dakota, Campbell, Longwood, Western Michigan, IPFW, USC Upstate, etc.
    • Wazzu, E Wash rivalries
    • More than 3 games against teams from 1 single conference (Big-12 this year)
    Why get rid of WSU? That's an awesome local rivalry.
    "After holding open practices during his first three seasons, Romar closed them to reporters last season, citing the "Gonzaga factor." He felt his team was compromised before the 2004-05 game against the Zags, that the opponent awaiting him and beating him 99-87 in Spokane seemed a little too well prepared."

Agree with TGF - keep Wazzu. Great rivalry game and we recruit lots of the same guys. About the cupcakes - you gotta get teams to come to your place to play and the big boys won't do it. Now I would obviously like to ditch the sub 150 RPI types and try to get upper echelon teams from the one bid conferences as sched fillers. But JK does the best he can to get teams up here.

I'm thinking they should add
    UofA (bump up the series to this year)
    ASU
    Cal
    Oregon
    Oregon State
    Stanford
    UCLA
    USC
    UW
    and waive one of the Pacific games.
    thanks guys!

When asked if GU would be headed to play Pacific away next year, Mark Few had this to say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FshkO8HqQ10

Kentucky in Seattle I hope. But not likely at all.

Quote Originally Posted by AK457 View Post
    When asked if GU would be headed to play Pacific away next year, Mark Few had this to say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FshkO8HqQ10
    That's funny!

Despite losing two non-league games with the addition of Pacific to the league, the Zags are not going to eliminate "cupcake" games. The program needs guarantee home games for program revenue, and they need the occasional breather in what figures to be a tougher and tougher non-league sked in the coming years.

Or do we need breathers when we are returning a very very solid core of experience? Agree on breathers if we had bunch of newbies on the roster but we won't.....I say go all in. Find our bye week in wcc and get a solid bcs game mid league play
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Krause (or somebody in his office) posted on the BB Travelers scheduling board last night:

Gonzaga is looking for guarantee games in Spokane for the 2013-2014 season. Multiple dates available in November and early December. Please email or call with interest.

I've heard that Bryant will be our home opener or at least a very early home game this year.

Looks like they'll be the home (and season) opener.

It'll be a battle of the Bulldogs on Nov. 9, when vastly improved Bryant takes on NCAA upset victim Gonzaga in the 2013-14 season opener in Spokane.
    http://news.providencejournal.com/sp...r-gonzaga.html

That'd leave 6 or 7 open dates.

I don't know of it's validity but there has been some rumor of a home and home with DePaul as well. This one has not been confirmed by any solid sources.

Quote Originally Posted by KStyles View Post

Nov. 9: vs. Bryant (K2)
    Nov. 25: Maui Invitational (Arkansas, Baylor, California, Chaminade, Dayton, Minnesota, Syracuse)
    @ West Virginia 2

Conference (18 games)

Home & Away: Portland, St. Mary's, Santa Clara, San Francisco, BYU, San Diego, Pepperdine, Pacific, Loyola Marymount
    6 (or 7 if they can schedule one more game as part of the Maui Invitational) open games left.

Nov. 9: vs. Bryant (K2)
    @ West Virginia 2
    @ Memphis (Not 100% Confirmed)

Conference (18 games)

Home & Away: Portland, St. Mary's, Santa Clara, San Francisco, BYU, San Diego, Pepperdine, Pacific, Loyola Marymount
    Last edited by KStyles; 05-21-2013 at 10:38 AM. Reason: No contract signed for Memphis yet

Nice...Memphis vs. GU is always a stellar game. I would assume that the Zags like the pairing of a couple games in the same region on the road trip.
    You're Scotch man! Time to get pissed.
    http://twitter.com/smmclean/zags

Isn't the Maui Invitational game against Syracuse being played in New York? They don't leave the state until February!

Default Battle in Seattle

Any guesses on who it will be this year?

Given the hopeless state of our roster, Tacoma Community College?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

John Cena?
    This post is for March Madness seeding purposes only.