A simple way of looking at Saturdays Loss...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SamwiseTheZag
    Bulldog Fan
    • Feb 2007

A simple way of looking at Saturdays Loss...

Fact: Gonzaga allowed 37% 3pt shooting during the 2010-11 campaign ranking 297th in the Nation
    Fact: Since Gary Bells arrival the team has allowed 32% 3pt shooting ranking 47th nationally over the past two seasons.
    Fact: Gary Bell did not play in the final 18 minutes of the game last Saturday.
    Fact: Wichita St shot 54% (7-13) from three in the 2nd half of last Saturdays game.

There are between 15-20 teams in this tournament that have enough bench talent to overcome an injury of a 30+ minute per game, all conference caliber starter.

Gonzaga is not one of these teams.

I hate excuses, but losing Gary Bell for 18 minutes of the 2nd half of last weekends game was a death sentence. It's as simple as that.
  • former1dog
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

I hate to disagree with you because it makes it seem like I'm being critical of your main point which I take to be that Gary Bell is an important player for us. I don't disagree with that. I also don't disagree that Gary would have assisted mightily in defeating Wichita State.

So, with that in mind, here are a couple of other facts.

- Wichita State shot 7 of 15 for three in the first half of that game.
    - Southern University shot 10 of 23 from three in the first round game.

Comment

• GoZags
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by former1dog View Post
      I hate to disagree with you because it makes it seem like I'm being critical of your main point which I take to be that Gary Bell is an important player for us. I don't disagree with that. I also don't disagree that Gary would have assisted mightily in defeating Wichita State.

So, with that in mind, here are a couple of other facts.

- Wichita State shot 7 of 15 for three in the first half of that game.
      - Southern University shot 10 of 23 from three in the first round game.
      One other "fact".

Gary was injured during the Southern game.

True, he played through it, and played through the first half of the WSU game. But the first real "injury" of the season came at a horrible time. And F1D, it'd be tough for any team to hit 7 straight threes down the stretch in clutch time even if you and I were guarding the perimeter.
      sigpic
      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
      ——-
      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• former1dog
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
        And F1D, it'd be tough for any team to hit 7 straight threes down the stretch in clutch time even if you and I were guarding the perimeter.
        I don't know about you, but if I were out there they would have made 13 of 13

Comment

• HRZag
          Kennel Club Alum
          • Feb 2007

GoZags, your skates would have chewed up the floor. And how would you ever dribble with those big glove things?

Comment

• SamwiseTheZag
            Bulldog Fan
            • Feb 2007

I had two points.

1.) The team has been significantly better at defending the 3 point line the past 2 seasons, and Gary Bell has been a major reason for this.

2.) An injury to a contributor would spell doom for 95% of the teams in Division 1 Men's Basketball, and Gonzaga is one of those teams.

I have been a long time lurker of the GU Boards. I am still having a hard time getting over the loss to Wichita State. I have probably read way too many irrational posts and negative articles this week for my health and sanity.

I completely understand that it's not as simple as I put it in the original post. There are plenty of things one could focus on to explain the loss.

However, I don't think enough has been made of the fact that one of our best players was out the entire second half, and according to GoZags, was not at 100% for either game.

To me, this was the difference in the game.

Comment

• former1dog
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by SamwiseTheZag View Post
              I had two points.

1.) The team has been significantly better at defending the 3 point line the past 2 seasons, and Gary Bell has been a major reason for this.

2.) An injury to a contributor would spell doom for 95% of the teams in Division 1 Men's Basketball, and Gonzaga is one of those teams.

I have been a long time lurker of the GU Boards. I am still having a hard time getting over the loss to Wichita State. I have probably read way too many irrational posts and negative articles this week for my health and sanity.

I completely understand that it's not as simple as I put it in the original post. There are plenty of things one could focus on to explain the loss.

However, I don't think enough has been made of the fact that one of our best players was out the entire second half, and according to GoZags, was not at 100% for either game.

Fair enough. Keep on posting, those are good observations

Comment

• kclubfounder
                Zag for Life
                • Aug 2007

I had two points.

I'm with you brother. And I have several posts that express the exact same opinion.

Here's to next year being as fun as this year, but with a much better finish.

Comment

• Oregonzagnut
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2011

Yes, Bell was injured and lost for the 2nd half of the WSU game. However, our depth should have at least compensated for that. Early in the year, our deep bench depth was supposed to be this huge benefit, and it was. But I think we were one of very few teams that were prepared for losing a major starting contributor.

The fact is, we weren't 100% and WSU team hit 14 three's. That is 42 points off of three point shots.
                  “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Comment

• caduceus
                    Zag for Life
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Oregonzagnut View Post
                    Yes, Bell was injured and lost for the 2nd half of the WSU game. However, our depth should have at least compensated for that. Early in the year, our deep bench depth was supposed to be this huge benefit, and it was. But I think we were one of very few teams that were prepared for losing a major starting contributor.

The fact is, we weren't 100% and WSU team hit 14 three's. That is 42 points off of three point shots.
                    Not at GBJ's position though. Even with his injury, GBJ's plus-minus for the game was even. He stops 2 treys during the second half, and we'd have likely been in Los Angeles. Stockton had a bad game (+/- was like -22), although a good deal of that can be attributed to our bigs missing bunnies down low. Hard to say what would've happened had Dranginis or Dower had more minutes, although both had decent numbers when they were in.

Despite the fact that WSU shot out of their minds, we very nearly beat them. I honestly think that WSU could've beaten nearly any top seed that night with the way they rained those threes, and they won despite GU absolutely kicking their butts on the boards. They shot 130% of their average, and we shot 76% of ours (for our lowest eFG% of the year).

Comment

• bballbeachbum
                      Zag for Life
                      • Dec 2008

I had two points.

it certainly appeared to me to be one of the key differences in the game

Comment

• McZag
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Well done Sam. A simple and wise take.

There is starter depth and contributor depth. Our bench is chuck full of contributors but for my money, when you need a stop you call Mike Hart and Gary Bell. Gary was not able to play and the combined effort of the contributors was just not enough.

There is never one single play that decides a game but there can be one single injury and we were likely victims of the later last Saturday.

Good stuff. Keep posting.
                        sigpic
                        Gonzaga Basketball
                        Exhibiting Character Since 1907

Comment

• spike_jr
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2009

I am just curious. How do you explain Dranginis coming into the came for GB with GU down 4 and he exits 7 1/2 minutes later with GU up 4. Over this same stretch, WSU was 1 for 3 from the arc. While I agree we could have really used GB in the last 5 minutes, it may have helped to have a lineup of KO, EH, KP, MH, and KD that got you the lead.

Comment

• gonwick
                            Kennel Club Alum
                            • Mar 2008

Originally posted by spike_jr View Post
                            I am just curious. How do you explain Dranginis coming into the came for GB with GU down 4 and he exits 7 1/2 minutes later with GU up 4. Over this same stretch, WSU was 1 for 3 from the arc. While I agree we could have really used GB in the last 5 minutes, it may have helped to have a lineup of KO, EH, KP, MH, and KD that got you the lead.
                            That is a fantastic and very important pt that gets lost. The choice of lineup in the clutch seemed more about few's comfort zone than about results.

Comment

• MJ777
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2009

Originally posted by gonwick View Post
                              That is a fantastic and very important pt that gets lost. The choice of lineup in the clutch seemed more about few's comfort zone than about results.
                              In hindsight, Few should have inserted some length (KD) after the first couple of 3s went in during that last push by WSU.

Comment

Working...
                              X