Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Giacoletti favorite for drake job

Default Giacoletti favorite for drake job

Good place. He might take this one. Midwest guy. Nice place to live and it's in the Missouri Valley Conference. MVC will suffer plenty with Creighton gone but it'll be a solid conference. Ray's a solid character and I'd hate to see him go.

Agree Doc.....MVC is ripe for the picking with Creightons departure and building a program could lead to long term success
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

There might be an opening for Ben Howland. Good news.
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Good for Ray, not so good for us.
    I will thank God for the day and the moment I have. - Jimmy V

I'll bet Ray goes. Just a feeling.
    The Kennel: "You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy."

Drake will get a good catch if he goes there.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Unfortunately, I don't think this job is all that great. Creighton departing the MVC is going to hurt their status as a league. But RayG wants to be a head coach again, and these are the kinds of jobs that are being offered to him. Personally, I think he deserves better. Perhaps he could use Drake as a stepping stone.

Congrats to Ray. Change is good, for everyone. I hope he gets the job. Wasn't he the defence coach?
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

I know there's a lot of sentiment to bring in an "elite-level" assistant if Giac or Daniels leaves. But what about the grad assistants, both of whom are Zags? At some point, doesn't one of them deserve to get a full-time gig?

Surely the Zags will open applications to members of the GUB.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Hire Hart

Default Tornados, Humidity & Pig Poop

Going to the state with the highest amount of pig manure exports sounds like a winner to me !!

Seriously though, Ray G would likely be taking a pay cut to go there. And this is on top of losing his shorts to the pyramid schemer who committed suicide a few years ago. Whatever millions he got from the Utah job is long gone.

Maybe he figures he needs to have some success as a head coach again before he can get a better paying high profile job.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Congrats to Ray. Change is good, for everyone. I hope he gets the job. Wasn't he the defence coach?
    I want all Zags to succeed, but I actually don't want him to go anywhere. If we lose Daniels and Giacoletti both at once, that will hurt more than the 2nd round loss.

If we use the logic of some doomsayers, the loss will be so damaging that recruits will not choose GU. Then why do schools want our staff that orchestrated such a bad loss?

Our program improved a lot this year. We got 4-5 more wins than normal, a #1 ranking and a #1 seed. In fact we did so well, we might just lose our staff because we did so well.
    “People can talk. People can speculate. These guys are hungry and they're ready to go." Mark Few

Fwiw, Drake is located in a terrible area of Des Moines. Home of the famed Drake Relays, last time I was there barbed wire surrounded the stadium.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Fwiw, Drake is located in a terrible area of Des Moines. Home of the famed Drake Relays, last time I was there barbed wire surrounded the stadium.
    LOL....that's a good one. Never seen barbed wire anywhere in Des Moines, other than by the Polk County Jail, back when it was in the city. You sound like a UNI fan (University of Northern Iowa).

What can you guys tell me about Coach Giacoletti? Obviously, he's been an assistant at GU, so it's probably hard to say what his coaching philosophy is.

If he gets the job, I think he'll really like Des Moines, which is consistently rated among the top 10 cities for young adults, and for doing business. Not a whole lot of pig manure in Des Moines.

For whoever said he'd be taking a pay cut; are you really paying your assistants $500,000 per year?

Quote Originally Posted by DrakeBulldog View Post
    For whoever said he'd be taking a pay cut; are you really paying your assistants $500,000 per year?
    Not sure how accurate/complete Gonzaga's Equity in Athletics numbers are (reporting methods vary from school to school), but the salary figures GU submitted for 2011-2012 show they paid 8.5 full-time and 2 part-time men's team assistant coaches (2 FT Baseball, 3 FT Basketball, 1 FT Rowing, 2 FT Soccer, 0.5 FT Track/XC, 1 PT baseball & 1 PT Tennis) a total of $706,662. It doesn't outline how it's split among those 11 coaches, but if that figure is accurate/complete, Giacoletti isn't getting anywhere near 500k/yr.

Side note: The same figures show the 6.5 head coaches of men's teams (Baseball, Basketball, Golf, Rowing, Soccer, Tennis, 0.5 XC/Track) recieved total salaries of $1,453,032.

so your saying Drake is in a decent neighborhood? must be lots of urban renewal bucks coming off the ethanol subsidies.....

LOL....that's a good one. Never seen barbed wire anywhere in Des Moines, other than by the Polk County Jail, back when it was in the city. You sound like a UNI fan (University of Northern Iowa).

What can you guys tell me about Coach Giacoletti? Obviously, he's been an assistant at GU, so it's probably hard to say what his coaching philosophy is.

If he gets the job, I think he'll really like Des Moines, which is consistently rated among the top 10 cities for young adults, and for doing business. Not a whole lot of pig manure in Des Moines.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    so your saying Drake is in a decent neighborhood? must be lots of urban renewal bucks coming off the ethanol subsidies.....
    Yeah, Drake is in a decent neighborhood. The neighborhood east of Drake is a little sketchy. There is certainly no barbed wire around Drake Stadium (or anywhere else at Drake) as you suggested earlier.

But, I'm a Chicago guy, so my definition of decent neighborhood might be different than yours. I've spent many an evening in the Drake neighborhood, and never felt uncomfortable at all.

So, anyway, what are your guys' thought about Coach Giacoletti?

Quote Originally Posted by KStyles View Post
    Not sure how accurate/complete Gonzaga's Equity in Athletics numbers are (reporting methods vary from school to school), but the salary figures GU submitted for 2011-2012 show they paid 8.5 full-time and 2 part-time men's team assistant coaches (2 FT Baseball, 3 FT Basketball, 1 FT Rowing, 2 FT Soccer, 0.5 FT Track/XC, 1 PT baseball & 1 PT Tennis) a total of $706,662. It doesn't outline how it's split among those 11 coaches, but if that figure is accurate/complete, Giacoletti isn't getting anywhere near 500k/yr.

Side note: The same figures show the 6.5 head coaches of men's teams (Baseball, Basketball, Golf, Rowing, Soccer, Tennis, 0.5 XC/Track) recieved total salaries of $1,453,032.
    Any numbers coming from Gonzaga would not include money from outside sources I.e. The Mark Few Show, camps, etc.

Giacoletti is responsible for some of our best recruits, if I'm not mistaken. He will be missed.

ok, good to hear. im from brooklyn, btw, so im sure we see eye to eye. wife is from grinnell and we went to a h.s. grad at drake maybe 8-10 yrs ago and im certain the area and stadium were beyond sketchy. thx.

Yeah, Drake is in a decent neighborhood. The neighborhood east of Drake is a little sketchy. There is certainly no barbed wire around Drake Stadium (or anywhere else at Drake) as you suggested earlier.

But, I'm a Chicago guy, so my definition of decent neighborhood might be different than yours. I've spent many an evening in the Drake neighborhood, and never felt uncomfortable at all.

You won't like him, he's horrible. Go hire Tubby Smith and get off of our grass!
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    You won't like him, he's horrible. Go hire Tubby Smith and get off of our grass!
    LOL.

Rumors getting much stronger in DSM that he's the guy.

Default snow?

LOL.

Rumors getting much stronger in DSM that he's the guy.
    snow much today?